Luxury SUV for 3 car seats

I’m in the same boat (hopefully not minivan). Due with #3 early February and my current lease is up in October.

https://thecarseatlady.com/my-19/
The Car Seat Lady is a great resource for all things car seats. She even has a Family Vehicle Buying Guide that details types of car seats that fit three across and overall best picks for family vehicles. Her top safety pics for 3 row SUVs are the MDX, Atlas, Q7, Pilot, and Xc90 (all fit 3 across). Note that she encourages against captains seats for three car seats. In the fine print she doesn’t have a specific large SUV safety pick for families because they aren’t tested by the IIHS, but if she would pick one it is hands down the new Expedition/Navigator.

Not sure what my new lease will be, but I currently have a Qx60 and I do love the extra length it gives for strollers, etc. I’ll be going back to work after #3 and the notion of visiting visiting my clients in a minivan doesn’t sit well.

Husband has a 2018 Expedition and I can say it’s been a fantastic family vehicle. Blows his old Tahoe out of the water with convenience and features. We could barely fit our double stroller in the back of his Tahoe, while there was plenty of room in my Qx60 for the stroller all the kid things.

1 Like

Kids :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

You would think they have to start giving away 2019 escalades…we have a 16 coming off and my wife adores it, considering how obsolete the interior is going to be, I am hoping to find a deal on another

How old are the kids? If 3-5/a little older, you could go with an XC90 with outboard booster seats, and then you’d have no problem.

Less than 3, so all rear facing seats

Yikes, good luck with that! I would say that might still be a consideration, though, since you’re in the lease for 3 years and it’ll provide some relief at some point during it.

you should be able to but lincoln and cadillac seem to operate on a different style, back when the old navigator was being transitioned out dealers still expected people to pay $800 for an outgoing model with tech from the early 2000s, with you having loyalty that helps a lot, I think like 3k incentive for escalades.

that’s funny cause reviewers mocked the new expedition for looking like a larger tahoe from the rear, I like the expedition, wish they would have had hud on it though. Great car for long trips and can tow a lot as well. Did you get the max or the regular?

Agree with some of the comments above, QX60 is dated inside, drive is average at best, but it does the job with car seats, especially the tilt feature allowing easier access to 3rd row

The QX60 tilt is not an option with rear facing car seats

My brother went with a Yukon Denali. 4 kids, three in car seats. His wife likes it but there was an adjustment period. Dedicated suburbanites

1 Like

Tesla model X. Safe, fast and reliable. Trunk is still usable with 3rd row up. Plus you get a huge frunk. Material and finish is not as good as other luxury brands. But self driving is the biggest luxury for road trips.

True, but times goes by fast, kids don’t stay rear facing for that long

There’s no point discussing generic “car seats” as they vary in dimensions, width being the most important here.

Clek and Cybex seats are relatively narrow. They are on the expensive side but it’s cheaper than breaking a lease.

1 Like

I have seen that, but can’t attest to them personally. As you noted (and I previously noticed myself), there is still a “tilt” involved. If the carseat is installed properly and TIGHT, there is zero room for tilt, in my experience. It may work, it may not. I wouldn’t trust it without actually trying it out with carseat installed.

1 Like

Personally, once I have the seat installed I am not doing anything to risk it becoming undone. Tilt feature or otherwise.

1 Like

I test drove Q7, XC90, GLS a few days back.

Q7 3rd row is pathetic and non existent. I would not recommend Q7 if you plan to use the third row.

GLS > XC 90 for 3rd row seating. Both of these allow for 2 seats to be put side by side and easily put down the remaining one seat to enter the third row for strapping in a child. GLS is roomier.

1 Like

Might want to double check, at least for latch. We have a 2017 gls450 and I think the latch systems are only on the left and right seats. The center doesn’t have latch, but I guess you could just use the seatbelt strap. This is for the 2nd row. Not sure about the 3rd

We have rear facing so latch doesn’t apply (yet)

Bring all 3 of the car seats with you to a dealership and tell them you want to test fit them in the car. If the 3 across don’t fit, or the seats in whatever configuration you want aren’t really workable day to day, it may narrow down your search really quickly.

1 Like