Lucid reveals the Air

Quite nice, I think. Both retro and futuristic in its design. Interior supposedly has dedicated hard buttons for temp control, fan, and radio volume (yes!!!). Looks special but not necessarily ostentatious.

That kind of bubble sunroof could be a blessing and a curse (unless you can control the opacity).

1 Like

Stupid name, though.

1 Like

Clean design, mostly digital…all great except the price. It will be very hard for them to get any traction at these prices but it will be a low volume car anyway. They been talking about this car for so long I honestly didn’t think they will make it.

Lol…seriously? Only one of my cars has a volume knob and it hasn’t been touched in over a year. I fail to see the fascination in using it.

I touch my volume knob everyday. I have yet to find a manufacturer that makes a digital or capacitive touch volume button that worked well, tactically felt good, or didn’t leave scratches and finger prints all over the control panel.

1 Like

You don’t use steering wheel controls for volume? I haven’t touched the actual volume knob in years.

1 Like

It’s not a fascination. I actually use it multiple times a wk b/c, when I need to turn it down in a hurry, I use the knob, rather than steering wheel.

Yup. Really unhappy that VW has gone all digital/capacitive w/ the new Golf.

1 Like

Of course I do, but not all of my cars have had steering volume controls. I also do use the volume knob on my radio on a daily basis. It’s weird, but because I shift with my right hand and my right hand is usually doing work in the center stack, I just revert to using it to change the volume knob.

Now, most cars without volume knobs also don’t offer manuals as an option. I try to avoid those cars. They’re evil.

My XC60 has steering wheel and a play/pause/volume at the bottom of the touch screen, and agree I use both. I don’t think I’ve gone 2 days without adjusting the volume using the knob - podcasts and calls and music in various apps are not all leveled against each other, so if I need to make a quick adjustment a big range (vs +/- 1 or 2) I use the physical volume knob.

Not every day, but during these COVID times it certainly has increased :joy:

2 Likes

Wow, holy hot damn that screen is laggy. Anybody else notice that in the video? Tremendous delay between button presses and anything happening. Coming from a 2018 volvo that also has a ferociously, hideously slow user interface, it really does impact the user experience negatively. It’s unacceptable.

Otherwise the car looks good and the cabin has a nice layout, but I would not hold one’s breath expecting this to be readily available in spring of 2021.

I’m sure it won’t be readily available for years. The pricing scheme for it tells me they’re going for high-profit/exclusivity at first and then will roll out their more affordable cars. Don’t think they’ll maintain a high inventory available for sale for a while.

1 Like

They had to cut down somewhere to make the car fit the 150k budget :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Shame about the name though

Braggart: just spent $170k on this
Nobody: what is it?
B: air.

1 Like

I think it’s great that Lucid is taking the fight to Tesla in regards to range, increasing competition in that area is a great idea as that addresses some of the main concerns that consumers seem to have.

However, I don’t really see this as a gamechanger. It’s an almost $200k car - most folks in that bracket have the space/cash for multiple vehicles anyway. It’s just another expensive luxury EV.

Well priced electric F150’s and RAV4 sized EV’s are going to be the key to wider EV take up.

2 Likes

Really? I can totally see someone saying, “Air” in the most snobby way possible. I mean, some people buy water infused w/ ions or some sh*t like that, right?

4 Likes

British accent is key.

1 Like

I can’t wait for more non-traditional manufactures that sells direct. We already have Tesla and now Rivian and Lucid are coming up.

It’s a long way to reduce the price to something that is affordable for most people, but we are getting there.

Air. Lucid, Air. (needs to be pronounced exactly like Bond, James Bond)

The whole thing reminded me of normal vs d-bag way of phrasing things.

Normal: hey can you grab my phone out of my coat pocket it’s in the car
d-bag: hey can you grab my iPhone 12 pro max out of Spyder pocket it’s in the Porsche.

I can’t wait until all of them collectively figure out how to service their direct to consumer products.