Lucid Air Touring or EQS 580?

I’ll preface by saying I have no interest in the slow EQS models. Coming from a model 3 performance, I enjoy having the ability to point and squeeze past traffic

Lucid is currently 18 month lease special for $1100/month with 0 drive off on the Touring. You can also apply a referral discount of $1k to the lease dropping the payment by $55. So ~$1050/month

EQS580 deals are about $900-$1k/month for 36 months with 3000 drive off.

Arguably I think the lucid is the better car. Better handling dynamics, much much faster, more range.

Is there any reason to consider the EQS for a little less money? I feel like I would get bored of the grandpa ride of the EQS pretty quickly and you’d be stuck for 36 months and would probably have tons of negative equity and impossible to get out of.

I’ve also seen the etron deals in CA are similar to the lucid as well ~$1k effective for base GT. But it’s a much smaller car and might be cramped for family use.

What do you hackers think?

For anyone interested, here’s a link to the Lucid website and lease offers. I tried to replicate this deal with the LH Calculator. I’m kind of just guessing on the MF and residual… but it seems Lucid isn’t passing any discounts off of MSRP. Also remember Lucid has a $1,000 ordering fee, which they show as a cap-cost reduction even if the lease itself has “zero” due at signing.

IMO, the lucid lease seems to be much more expensive than a comparable Mercedes EQS 580… but of course the Lucid looks much better lol.

3 Likes

The Lucid Touring doesn’t have upgrade speakers, a metal roof, and no self driving tech at all. You have to go to the Grand Touring for that.

Is it that much more? EQS580 leases are also close to $1k. Big drive offs with the brokers from what I’ve seen on top. What deals are you seeing? I think the AMG EQS is the better competitor to be fair, but there are no lease deals on those.

The residual is like 75% so adding the upgraded sound system adds like $20/month, which I would do. Their version of lane keep apparently sucks so I would skip that haha. $9k for single lane keep assist! Way overpriced

In NorCal, this $135k MSRP EQS 580 Sedan is leasing $950 per month (before taxes, but inclusive of all acquisition and other fees). Drive-off is $3,000… 3 years, 7,500 miles per annum.

Has the massaging seats, heads up display, fancy headliner, and some other stuff.

I think the Grand Touring spec of the Lucid Air is the comp vs an EQS 580… And a GT is like $1,500 a month leased assuming nominal drive-off.

But yeah if your set that a Lucid Air Touring and (edit: I meant to put the word “base” here) EQS 580 Sedan are competitors … the Lucid is “only $200” more per month (assuming the $1,000 order fee is a lease cost instead of some magical free money cap cost reduction as Lucid’s calculator shows it).

At that point I think you’ll simply want the Lucid and there’s no price cutting Mercedes can do to get you into an EQS.

2 Likes

I see your point. Thank you for the data point. Yea I think you can say GT is closer to a loaded EQS with regards to luxury features. I was thinking from a performance perspective, the EQS is probably still slower than a base Pure. It’s not a huge difference I think wrt to features. Other than massage seats on the GT, the touring has soft close doors, alcantara headliner, full nappa leather interior, powered frunk, and auto rear window sun shades,

My preference skews more towards dynamics/handling/performance than pure luxury and I think the main kicker is that the lucid is available at the same effective payment for 18 months. Based on your numbers posted, the EQS is about $1050 effective with 0 drive off, and the touring is $1150 effective after including the $1k deposit. So it’s $100 difference right?

I guess what I’m trying to understand is the EQS significantly cheaper than the lucid that I’m missing, or is it mainly just preference of legacy brand and more cushy ride and handling.

Personally, Neither.

Have you considered an i7?

1 Like

Yeah, how dafuq do you have a loaded i7 for like $1,050 a month? Shenanigans!

Maybe the i7 will see the next big fire sale like the EQS?

1 Like

Sorry when I said $200 I was thinking a base EQS 580 sedan (one without the fancy HUD and seats). My brain thought this but I never typed it down hah.

Also, the Lucid lease calculator doesn’t seem to include vehicle registration costs… which is kind of weird but I don’t see it itemized, so I assume it’ll be a surprise for you to consider later. My understanding is the $950 monthly $3k drive-off listed in the LH Marketplace included California registration.

BTW, I live in Northern California. I literally cannot go fast even if I tried. So EQS 450 is plenty fast hah. All I see when I drive are brake lights, Teslas everywhere, and Uber drivers.

1 Like

Then TBH you’re looking at the wrong cars. Even the Lucid is too big to be an agile car with rewarding handling.

And you may want to read this review too:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-lucid-air-grand-touring-performance-yearlong-review-update-1-cold-weather-range-test/

1 Like

Yea but I need a bigger car to fit the family comfortably. Had an m340 and it was too cramped. I know a 4800lbs EV is never going to be the definition of handling perfection, but it does seem like the best in its class from the reviews. Also thanks for the review! I live in CA so hopefully will never experience sub 32 degree weather haha, but 280 miles of range in sub 10F is pretty impressive!

I looked at both of these cars, and ended up going with the 580. The lucid with similar spec is going be way more expensive. The EQS 580, for what it is, leases really well.

It’s not a sport car, but handles very well, and is a very smooth ride. Personally, I love it. If you are looking for a big, comfortable EV, you can’t go wrong. Depending on mileage, and MSD’s, you should be able to get a sub 1K lease. Check the marketplace. I am in So. Cal, and picked mine up in Sep from @oarfish18

1 Like

Apologies, but I think i’m missing the part where the Lucid is “way more expensive”. If you look at my OP, the Lucid is somewhere between 1100-1200 with no driveoffs and no MSDs. Marketplace offers like oarfish has $2-$3k driveoffs, and juuust under $1k, so the difference is not that big. Is $100 considered way more expensive? Is that what i’m missing?

It’s probably because @Jesuscookies thinks the Lucid Air needs to be in Grand Touring trim to be a comparable vehicle to a EQS 580 while you’re content with a Touring trim.

I mean, look at this going the other direction. There are literally people who have posted on LH that they think a Hyundai IONIQ 5 or IONIQ 6 are reasonable comparables against a EQS Sedan or SUV. They can get a Hyundai for like 1/2 of what a Mercedes BEV or Lucid BEV would cost. These users would be insane getting into a EQS or Lucid simply because they don’t see the value.

I think you’ll need to identify where you view the competitive set of options. If you like the Lucid Air Touring Trim, the Lucid lease presents good value for you since the other options won’t hold up for your unique POV.

1 Like

Yep this. :point_up_2:

1 Like

I have a gut feeling you’ll get sick of driving a boat, if you’re like me. That’s a massive step up in size from a 340i to a Lucid or EQS.

Maybe a EQE500 bridges that gap better? For less luxury Ford, Kia, Tesla, etc all make performance versions of their family-sized crossover EVs like the MME, EV6, Model Y, etc.

2 Likes

Lucid’s build quality and its design is very poor from what I hear - but there are much better options out there, as many people suggested. You need to keep in mind when you actually lease, there will be more costs written in the actual contract. Maybe an i5, i7, EQE 500 (Like Max Suggested), Audi e-tron GT, etc. I think that the EQS would take time to adjust to. I personally wouldn’t shell out 1k a month for an egg on wheels, but, an MB is a MB…

@mmian - Oarfish has a EQE AMG for $2k drive-off and $981 before taxes. Give it a try… seems like it’ll suit what you want in terms of more space without feeling bloated. And it’s fasssstttt

3 Likes

3.2 sec fast.

3 Likes