Low cost lease for my son (who couldn't care less about what he drives :-)

Youre in NC? This is a left over 2018 Hyundai Sonata with 7 miles well equipped for $15518, might be worth a drive but definitely a steal and you could probably get a little more off to make the drive.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=homePageNewCarTab_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c28702&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=27009&distance=200&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=201637862

If you want AWD, you could likely get a Impreza sedan or wagon.

1 Like

16 years old kid, means insurance will be through the roof. Having a new car will cost you a lot. TBH, might as well get a @michael idea or similar bargain for way lesser cost to insure rather than leasing a new one. But if you prefer a new one, start shopping insurance first before signing that lease.

6 Likes

I did a toyota CHR last month for 199 w 199 DAS

They’re very inexpensive especially with college grad

2 Likes

Would getting used be half the cost then or just $20? Just out of curiosity.

I’m less than 5 years away from this dilemma, but I see big differences from coworkers complaining paying $3-4K a year for their 16 years old having new cars and zero complains with someone who drives a beater or a hand me down car. I assume a 2014-2016 is way cheaper to insure than new ones.

Thanks! Good to know. I’m years away from that and not even sure what the driving would entail at that time in 10-15 years with all these new options as autopilots, Uber, remote driving…

Here you go. Just need to be your own bank and lease it to your son dirt cheap.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d511&zip=08755#listing=246079185

Get him a 8-10 year old (we’ll maintained) CamCord with 100k on the clock. Let him pay costs to maintain (fluids, tires, brakes, etc)

He’ll understand/learn what it means to maintain a car and become responsible. Much cheaper to insure, as well.

1 Like

Whoa, a 16-year-old brand-new driver with a leased vehicle that requires minimum coverages of 100/300, can’t imagine what that bill’s gonna be! I agree with the others who’ve suggested a used car first. I did that with my son, got him a 5 y.o. Prelude, which he proceeded to back into a fire hydrant within the first week because he couldn’t see it behind him. Good luck!

Let get back to the main topic about the cars!

He wasn’t asking for parental or financial advice. Its his money and his kid, let him treat him how he wants unless he specifically asks for it.

8 Likes

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

Need to check this with your agent.

In my case, two teenager drivers carried on my policy.

Cheapest was the 2019 Mazda 3 by quite a bit. The 2019 Civic Sport and Accord 1.5 T were both ~15% more, Jetta SE/R was 20% more

I have to carry high coverage 250/500/250 level since the car is signed in my name. Kids have to be 18 to be a legal title holder.

Hi- I’m in North Carolina

He’s paying for it :-).

1 Like

with his allowance?

Would it have been possible to avoid that by having after market rear view camera?
That’s kind of one of the thought of all this new active and passive safety tech. Shouldn’t it help reduce such accidents thus lower theoretically cost to the insures.

It was back in the 90s. And yes, that WOULD be one advantage for the OP to lease a new car for the kid, the safety features.

He’s been working for 1.5 years.
Saving.

1 Like