Low cost lease for my son (who couldn't care less about what he drives :-)

Hello Hackers,

Looking for some advice for my son’s first car. Unlike me when I was 16 he doesn’t really care what he drives, so I’m looking for some of this month’s best lease deals around. My only condition is that it be a sedan with a high safety rating.

Can you guys give me any recommendations on cars that lease very well and perhaps some models that have great incentives this month?

It would be 36/10.

Thanks,
Dan

Hyundai Elantra or Kia Forte.

1 Like

Honda Civic leases are more, but you can find brokers w/ some decent deals.

Where are you located?

I know you said sedan, but have you thought about a Chevrolet Equinox SUV seen some good lease offer for those and its sister the GMC Terrain?

1 Like

Slightly used CivicCorollaCamryAccordRav4CRV.

Absolute no brainer for a new driver. IMO you do not want to be financially responsible for turning in a lease that a brand new driver is not paying for and has no stake in, unless he’s the most responsible and careful 16 year old on the planet.

6 Likes

Check out @aronchi, he has Sentras at $130 per month will little DAS. Can’t get cheaper than that.

1 Like

Please don’t buy a Nissan, theyre the worst cars know to man.

6 Likes

Unless OP’s son is @dmitry , it doesn’t really matter.

11 Likes

lol. Tbh, check the insurance cost. If you combine both cost, Jetta will be ahead. For some weird reasons, Jetta has one of the lowest insurance cost amongst small sedans.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been telling everyone to get a CPO 2016 Kia Optima LX. :laughing:

For $13K, you still get 7 years of powertrain warranty remaining, lots of room, and airbags galore. Finance at 2.74% APR from a credit union.

11 Likes

No matter what you get for him, make him pay for it at least partially, if not all. Only way he will have an incentive to be a responsible driver.

6 Likes

May as well get the 2015 Turbo. Should be similar price, but much more fun.

Youre in NC? This is a left over 2018 Hyundai Sonata with 7 miles well equipped for $15518, might be worth a drive but definitely a steal and you could probably get a little more off to make the drive.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=homePageNewCarTab_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c28702&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=27009&distance=200&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=201637862

If you want AWD, you could likely get a Impreza sedan or wagon.

1 Like

16 years old kid, means insurance will be through the roof. Having a new car will cost you a lot. TBH, might as well get a @michael idea or similar bargain for way lesser cost to insure rather than leasing a new one. But if you prefer a new one, start shopping insurance first before signing that lease.

6 Likes

I did a toyota CHR last month for 199 w 199 DAS

They’re very inexpensive especially with college grad

2 Likes

Would getting used be half the cost then or just $20? Just out of curiosity.

I’m less than 5 years away from this dilemma, but I see big differences from coworkers complaining paying $3-4K a year for their 16 years old having new cars and zero complains with someone who drives a beater or a hand me down car. I assume a 2014-2016 is way cheaper to insure than new ones.

Thanks! Good to know. I’m years away from that and not even sure what the driving would entail at that time in 10-15 years with all these new options as autopilots, Uber, remote driving…