Looking to get out of kia lease....please help

Currently, I am driving a Kia Optima…Monthly payment is $260…it was a 48 months lease…i have about 13 payments left…I want to get out of that lease early…please advise me if I have any options??..are there any early lease pull ahead programs for other car brands right now? I have some negative equity on that car and willing to take some hit on my next car payment but target is to keep the damage to the minimum…looking forward to lease a sedan…german luxury, lexas or Infiniti…any pointers towards getting out of the lease early and with minimum damage are welcome…

thanks in advance …

How much is your payoff and how much is the car worth as a trade-in. (carmax or other dealer)

16,818.67 is payoff and kbb trade in value is $11500

It is likely the dealer will offer you around $9,000 for your car. You’re better off paying the remaining 13 payments and returning the vehicle to Kia (or drive it another 13 months).

How many miles are left on the 13 months?

What’s the motivation for getting out early? Mileage penalty, tired of driving it, want something with more status?

One thing to consider for next time, choose a shorter lease period and if you like the vehicle, go month to month yo extend it, more flexibility that way.

1 Like

I have only put on 22000 miles so I have 26000 miles left…the reason for changing is to get into something ‘nicer’ and fancier but guess I will have to wait

Put the car on a rental site like turo. Make money off the car and get what you want.

If you have 2k miles per month you should put it up on some of the lease swap sites and see if you get any bites.

And Hyundai doesn’t allow lease transfer, so even thought you have plenty of miles left, and a decent payment, that’s not an option.

Most leasing companies have a clause barring you from sharing the vehicle.

Rules Rules Rules…

Why is that relevant, he has a Kia.

Because they are owned by Hyundai. But just to be more specific, Kia also does not allow transfers, just like their parent company Hyundai.

http://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company.aspx?leaseco=148

Ooh bummer! …20

As mentioned, Kia is owned by Hyundai, and uses Hyundai Financing, so same rules apply to both companies.

I’m in the same boat as you. I have a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe that I can’t get rid of bc of the negative equity (I checked Carmax and Auto Nation and KBB). I have 8 payments left and I’m just going to ride it out until then.

thank you everybody for your help…is it possible to roll the remaining lease payments into your new lease …for example, if six months are remaining then 6*$265 versus paying off the negative equity as a deficit when using your leased car as a trade in? are there any early lease payoff penalties?

If you purchase another Hyundai/Kia, yes, you can roll those remaining payments into your new lease. However, you will be paying roughly 80/more in your new lease payment. In your example, you have 11 payments left at $260. Take 260 *11 = 2860. Divide that by 36 months (the longest you really should take a lease out for), and you’ll be paying roughly 80 bucks more for your new car (whatever the new car payment is + 80 for the old car rolled in to your new lease). You’re really just kicking the can down the road doing this, however.

If you go to another brand (BMW, MB, etc…), you can have the dealer cut you a check for the remaining balance + disposition fee (if exists in your contract), and return the car to Hyundai/Kia. Again, however, you’re still adding that to your new monthly payment, so you’re still paying for it in the end.

The third option is to trade the car to a dealership. This doesn’t look likely in your case, however, as your residual is less than your resale value. Dealers aren’t going to give you resale value, however. They use wholesale value. This is the cost it will be to purchase your car at auction. In your case, you owe $16,818 and your KBB value is $11,500. No dealer is going to give you $11,500 however. However, let’s assume they did. You’d then have to roll $5318.00 into your new lease, or roughly $148.00 into your new payment.

Lastly, you can try to sell the car outright, pay HFS off and be done with it. With that said, this isn’t a likely scenario either, as your car is worth less than your payoff.

Ultimately, your best financial course would be just to ride this deal out for another year, and snag a sale next year at model change.

you can check out, people use it to get out of lease. swapalease.com