Looking for SoCal window tint recommendations

What car and how many windows was this for? Did it include the front windshield?

Saw this video randomly and thought it was funny to see it was Rayno and film kings in it: How Window Tint Keeps Your Car Cooler Easily and Affordably | Rayno Window Film on Designing Spaces - YouTube

I read that Rayno was an off-brand Korean film but that confirms it. I’ll never understand why a company would have their “marketing director” be someone with an accent and non-fluent in the language they’re marketing in. I would guess they’re based out of Fullerton/Buena Park (large korean population)

Also saw a comment on that YouTube video which was interesting to see about Rayno: “ wow. RAYNO if definetly RAY “Noooooo”. Tint shops thrive based on reputation and I made the biggest mistake by switching over to their film. For several years I have purchased tens of thousand dollars worth of film. I was happy with their film and their staff until their life time warranties began to fail. they claim lifetime warranty film however it was only a year or two before i started to get customers wanting warranty work done because the film started to lose its clarity and started to ripple and distort. their warranty process was a joke and they make u jump through hoops and do not even compensate you for all the windows that fail and they compensate you through store credits. after just 3 claims I told RAY NO to put their credit up their assets and I am till today just taking care of the warranties work that continue to roll in and am paying for them myself with my time and money. I must havene at least 150 redos cause RAYNO FILM IS A JOKE. Thanks rayno. ur running a top notch business over theree”

Any validity to this? @dukez

$225 for my 530e two years ago and $250 for the Bolt two months ago. I never did do my F-Type

1 Like

Hmm I have no idea — I personally haven’t had any issues. We loved the Rayno S7 enough that we went back two years later and got it again on another car. Whether or not it’ll hold up beyond three years, I’m not sure, and I really won’t know since I’m not going to buy out my leases. But both the film and the install job have held up really well on the 530e.

As long as the tint installer offers a warranty for any issues (and actually keeps the doors open), that’s probably the most important thing. If I owned the car, I’d probably go for a more expensive ceramic crystalline tint, though.

2 Likes

Is that the past-perfect of done-did?

4 Likes

You done gone got it aint ya

1 Like

i’ve been taking my leases to Beach City Tint in Manhattan Beach. They are a Llumar / Formula One shop. They were a 3M shop one year but by the time I went back they were back to doing Llumar/ Formula One again lol. For most cars they do $250. I garage park both at work (when commuting was a thing) and at home so longevity and color stability for 24-36 months hasn’t been a problem for me.

I had to take the car in for a warranty repair, and while it was there the dealer was able to remove the label for me. It was on top of the tint after all. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You have been rolling around with that mess for 7 months?!

1 Like

Why yes, yes I have.

1 Like

Just got Rayno s7 35% rear + back passenger and 50% front and man it does not look dark at all. It makes me wonder if they put 50% on the rear window instead of 35%. The back passenger windows look darker than the fronts but it’s hard to tell about the rear.

Also the imperfections really bug the crap out of me. I want to take it back in the morning but I know they will say I have to wait 3-4 days for things to dry out and set even though I’m already pretty sure what I’m looking at isn’t an air bubble that will disappear when dry.

Which shop?

Thanks for the excellent recommendation! On Wednesday, I picked up my new car and had it in with Sam at Mission Window Tint this morning.

2 Likes

I’m glad I could help! What car did you just pick up?

I’ve done too many windows tints and this thread definitely helps reduce these science experiences :joy:

Tesla Model 3

I went with ceramic at 20% on all windows except the windshield at 80%

2 Likes

Went back through the recommendations here for tint on my Outback. Inflation has come for all industries.

I narrowed down to Film Kings and a local place. FK was enough of a difference and highly rated. S7 and S9 are basically the options at both places, and FK was a bit lower on the sunroof because it’s not a pano. Dropped it Thursday night at-close and picked up Saturday morning. Luis’ estimates were right on, discounts for cash.

Heat rejection from S9 is noticeable — probably not worth the $100, but it isn’t a lease so who knows how long it will be around?

The WeatherTech sunshade also fits perfectly.

2 Likes

Ceramic is S7 and Nano is S9? I take it you did the the tinting all around? The Outback doesn’t have factory tint for the back sides and rear window? Also isn’t the sunroof already tinted?

Been putting it off, but I need to do the front sides on the Tiguan and all around on the LEAF. Waiting to see if I end up buying out the LEAF or purchasing something else when lease ends before pulling the trigger though. Tiguan we already own, but hardly drive at the moment.

Yes

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2020-uv-penetration-level.514945/

UV treated but not IR reducing. The windshield doesn’t make sense to do for a lot of reasons, EyeSight is fussy, Subaru OEM glass has a reputation of breaking, even with the exterior shield coating. I considered it, hoped windshield pricing might help someone else.

Sunroof still got hot before tint, not since.

1 Like

I got it done at this place for my Audi A6 and they did an excellent job. Almost 400 5-star reviews on Yelp.

2 Likes

Totally worth IMO. Glad he treated you well!

1 Like