Looking for SoCal window tint recommendations

I’ll never not do my windshield again. Good ir blocking tint on the windshield is worth its weight in gold. 80% tint up there is completely unnoticeable

1 Like

Tinting the windshield at all is technically illegal in CA. I don’t have my windshield tinted currently. I have 70% 3M Crystalline all around otherwise. I like to think I have pretty good eyes, and there is not a huge difference btw 70% and the stock windshield. And Crystalline also now comes in 80 and 90% (I’d prob choose 80% for the windshield since the TSER and IR blocking are very close to the 70%). Since 70% is already very close to stock, I can’t imagine how much closer 80 and 90% would be.

Only “prob” I have w/ Crystalline is an occ “rainbow” effect w/ my polarized sunglasses. Not particularly distracting and certainly doesn’t interfere w/ clarity.

I don’t drive into the sun very often and park indoors. If I did drive into the sun or parked outdoors, tinting at 80 or 90% would be a no-brainer, IMHO.

1 Like

You are allowed to tint your windshield with a 4" strip.
Not sure who would tint the whole windshield.

Sorry, correct, you are allowed to tint the top 4".

I know of at least one place (which i think has already been mentioned here) that will tint the whole windshield (and they do warn you that it’s totally illegal)…

I would, every single time.

The point is to use a tint that is IR blocking, but not visual blocking, so that you’re cutting down on the thermal energy going into the car.

2 Likes

The windshield and the sunroof, especially those pano sky roofs

2 Likes

Dang if I go for windshield IR blocking I have a feeling I’m going to be into this for way more than 300 up in norcal. Checking out a dude that @Gearhead likes. I just don’t want my arm burning while driving, glare in my eyes or my little kids screaming from the sun, etc.

Yes, the windshield tends to be more expensive. It’s also totally worth the cost.

1 Like

You might be able to get away with a cheaper off-brand ceramic film still if you do not need precision by the installer.

There are some off-brands ceramic film (Rayno for example) that have better performance than dyed or metallic films, and can be cheaper than 3M, Suntek, LLumar, and Xpel.

Whole windshield coverage tends to be a separate quote due to its size too.

Rayno S9 is the top of the line film for this brand but it’s absolutely worth it in the SoCal sun.

We’ve been pretty pleased with the S7. Kind of wishing I’d done the windshield. Might do it on the next one.

1 Like

I’ve had the s7 and the s9. Coloration on the s9 is a bit better, but I’ve been happy with both and don’t think I could justify the extra cost of the s9 in the future.

1 Like

Had the exact same thought — it was like a $100 difference which hardly seemed worth it to me. Gonna check back in with Film Kings here in the area and see if we can run it back.

1 Like

Gosh LA feels like you have such good options at lower prices.

-I can’t get S7 up in the Bay Area easily. Only Rayno S5 ($260) and S9 ($460).
-I can also do Pinnacle ($500) through a fellow LH rec or 3M Ceramic IR ($400).

That S9 has the best numbers but is it worth the extra 60 over 3M? There is a tint forum but those guys don’t usually respond it looks like so I figured one of you has probably done this evaluation.

You’re in the bay area. It doesn’t get hot enough for the extra few percent to make a difference.

2 Likes

Is it more about temperature or sun exposure? The South Bay hits 90s for about a week or two, but it’s the sun that’s around longer. Sometimes it feels 20 degrees cooler in the shade. What would you have picked for socal?

It’s both.

I lived in the high desert in socal for a decade. Summer time brought lots of sun at 110+ degrees.

I’ve had Rayno s5, s7, and s9 on vehicles there. S7 was worth the money. S9 was not. What’s vastly more important is getting your front windshield tinted. I’ve had great luck with rayno air70.

2 Likes

I did 3m ceramic ir 25 on back and 30 on driver/passenger side. He didn’t have time to do windshield so I’m going to drive with it and see how I feel. I couldn’t wait two months so this worked for me.

Also there was a Lambo in there which I assume was getting tinted and not just the owners car so that was cool to look at.

I hate driving with glare, feeling my left arm and face burn etc so if this solves that it’s money well spent. And then I will look at windshield. If SoCal is cheaper than 200 for front windshield then maybe I’ll stop at one of those shops on the next trip to la.

I stopped by the previously recommended VIP in Pasadena today. They are using Xpel protective films. The middle grade was $400 without the windshield and $600 with the windshield for a 2013 Mini Cooper Clubman . Seems high compared to previous comments. Any other suggestions in the Pasadena/Glendale/Burbank area?

You’re in the SGV. Check out the nice owner Sam at Mission Window Tint:

Mission Window Tint
(626) 328-3612
https://goo.gl/maps/DiK5Mbi4g4SKN2qq6

He carries Suntek CXP and CIR. For your Mini Cooper, I would think he could do all the windows for much better than those prices. His quality of work is great.

1 Like