Looking for SoCal window tint recommendations

Tinting a RAV4
Ya the S9 is approx $100 more he’s quoting me

Update: went with Xpel on my Rav4 at a tint shop in Laguna. Solid guys and highly recommend at Relic Tint Co.

XR Black 20% on the front side
XR Black 55% on rear passenger & rear
XR Blue 70% on windshield

All for $550

1 Like

Great data point. Do you know which model a Xpel they used?

It was all Prime XR ceramic by XPEL

I stopped by https://www.monumentalworkx.com/ today (thanks for the tip earlier in this thread).

They eyeballed the current tint job (30% tint as confirmed by their measuring tool) and estimated $100 to remove it, and ~$450 to re-tint.

I’m thinking of just having the tint removed. It looks too dark to me.

Plus, I believe it is a contributing factor to every Mustang and Camaro driver automatically assuming that I want to play stupid race car games on any road with more than one lane going in each direction.

1 Like

I should add that the guy at Monumental Workx indicated that the warning label on the inside of driver’s window was on the outside of the tint and not under it. :expressionless:

Aside from the original tint installer avoiding liability for removing the label this makes no sense, but my fingernail confirmed his assessment.

1 Like

Well that is absolutely bizarre

1 Like

It depends how much you park outdoors. I would probably replace it with some heat reducing tint (even if little to no darkening), but you could have it removed and drive it for a couple weeks to see how you feel without it.

1 Like

For another data point, what was the brand/material they quoted for $450? And was that for all windows including front windshield?

It was a rough estimate for all glass.

During our short discussion in the parking lot, I was holding product samples from Llumar… but I didn’t carry the discussion into much more detail…

Can you video the window decal removal?

I park outdoors when I’m inside Target.

Or Vons.

:slight_smile:

Honestly , if you’re paying over $300 to tint a car you’re getting completely ripped off.

Not sure in other areas, but here in the tri-state they have reputable tint shops that use 3M or Lumar film and a sedan is anywhere from $250-$275.

I used a reputable shop nearby and had my 2021 3 series tinted with Lumar film 50% for $270. They are used by the local BMW dealer who tints their cars for customers and then marks it up and charges customers $499-$599.

Here in NY/NJ you have Dominicans in the Bronx or iron bound in Newark who will tint cars for $120 (with cheap film)

Pls shop around and don’t get ripped off.

There are many different types and lines of films. For example, you won’t get 3M Crystalline installed for under $300 anywhere.

1 Like

Don’t get caught up in that gimmick. Quality film like 3M, Lumar, Suntek etc is top notch (regardless of “tiers”). It’s window film.

Most of those shops fool people into thinking that, and will price you out based on the car you’re driving. Have a Honda Accord, tint is $375. Have a Mercedes E Class, that’ll be $550 for tint.

This could be a west coast thing , but plenty of great reputable tinting shops here that do high end cars for under $300 with quality film.

If you think all tints are the same, then you get the cheapest priced ones. Most people on here would rather do research and get what suites them best.

This thread would have ended after the 3rd post with the “$99 tint for entire vehicle” if you were right.

3 Likes

There is a huge difference in performance (and raw material cost) between low quality films and high quality, ir blocking ceramic films.

2 Likes

I would say he must be overpaying then because the non-performance tints from Suntek, 3m, lunar can be had in this “west coast thing” for less than $250.

Couple questions for my west coast friends who understand how ridiculous sun exposure is here:

1. I’ve got kids in the back. Would you just tint the back window and back two side windows or would you do all 4 side windows? I’m told that it’d be better not to do the windshield if I don’t want a ticket.
  2. I would rather not spend over 300 on the tint job. What are a couple of tint brands in 2021 that you guys like that will last 3 years and fit that budget you think?

Llumar and Xpel ceramic have good performance and warranty. Find a good installer - film performance for ceramic is roughly the same across all brands, but you want somebody who does a neat job with few dust specs.

I would do all windows except the windshield and sunroof.