List of Lenders that Allow for Third-Party Buyouts

You might want to give me a holler. Perhaps my dealer can help fix the situation.

Iā€™m new to this concept and have a Toyota and Hyundai lease. Does when I started my lease contract have to do with whether theyā€™ll allow a third party buyout? (sounds like Hyundai could be the problem). Thanks!

No: the change immediately affected all Hyundai leases.

Carmax just added Ally and US Bank. I wonder how long it took them to do so since both charge a higher amount.

So I just got off the phone with Kia finance and was told by the lease department that they will allow 3rd party lease sale but the company has to contact a Kia dealer to get the buyout price. Anyone else had this same answer given?

They will allow itā€¦but they are so slow in giving Titles that no one wants to touch it. So basically they ā€˜prevent itā€™ indirectly.

3 Likes

We have the ability to purchase all Kia leases as a third party dealer

2 Likes

Sent you a PM for my Jeep. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey Yā€™all, just wanted to find out is Mercedes-Benz still restricting lease buyouts to third-party dealers/ online resellers still, or has it changed?

Last time i checked it was in October for a CarMax offer but found out i could only buy it out or sell it a Mercedes dealer

Nothing has changed

3 Likes

So I have about $5300 equity on my 1 year old Highlander Hybrid lease, when I mentioned this to my accountant, she said I would have to pay tax on it. I thinking she probably thought I would just sell it. But this would be from a check with Carvana. You donā€™t pay tax on it correct? She says it goes into ordinary income.

Thereā€™s much debate had if equity is always income or if only above and beyond your costs, and it likely varies by state. I would continue the conversation with your accountant and follow their advice.

3 Likes

Does Carvana give you a 1099 of sorts? I most people that sell vehicles, or anything else to private buyers donā€™t pay income tax on it, is this the same? Yes, I will double check with my accountant as well, but multiple opinions never hurt.

No, they donā€™t.

On private party sales, if your selling price exceeds your costs, tax is due.

1 Like

There is essentially no way the IRS would ever know of this unless you tell them.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle of an Equityhackr deal at the moment for a MB. They say they can do it no problem. I sent them the images yesterday, inspection today, and I think the deal happens very fast.

Does anyone have an update on Mazda? Can be a Mazda lease still be sold to Carvana or any other 3rd Party?

Any limitations in terms of minimum holding time?

Have another Ally lease that I am scheduled to sell to a local dealer tomorrow, if I decided to give Carmax a shot before heading there, would it be my personal payoff or 3rd party that they would be going off? My local dealer goes off personal payoff but Carmax is offering $1,000 more in equity.

Ally charges higher rates to 3rd parties

If Carmax is only offering $1000 more, just give it back to the dealer and walk away. Or keep till the end of the lease.