Liquid Savings and CDs - Where Do You Keep Your Cash?

Currently too many options in the HYS accounting paying 4.5% and up at the current moment. I will be watching it to see if they run a promotion with either a sign up bonus or a deposit x amount, get $100 off an Apple product.

1 Like

Anyone else move cash to Vanguard brokerage account settlement fund? VMFXX current 7 day sec yield 4.76%. Vanguard Mutual Fund Profile | Vanguard

In Marcus at 4.9% as well.

Base rate is 3.9% but with referral is 4.9% for 3mo. If anyone needs a referral code for the rate bump let me know. Well worth it…this is t bill territory.

1 Like

Fidelity Spartan SPRXX Money Market core fund is now at a 4.54% 7-day yield

At some point it will make sense to go long duration on CD to lock rates longer term as rates peak. how close are we, thoughts?

1 Like

I locked in a few 5.3% cd’s in March. so long as they have FDIC insurance, and they’re not callable, there isn’t much risk. the fed’s at a tipping point with rates and with the economy inching closer and closer to collapse, its only a matter of time before they have to pull the plug on the rate hikes.

2 Likes

Half the FOMC wanted a bigger increase in March

https://www.reuters.com/markets/rates-bonds/three-fed-bank-boards-wanted-bigger-rate-hike-march-2023-04-18/

CME currently betting 84.6% on a May hike

https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/interest-rates/cme-fedwatch-tool.html

A Citi analyst sees rate hikes at the next three meetings

https://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=21483979

I’m not committing any free cash for longer than 13 weeks, especially while we’re still in debt ceiling limbo.

2 Likes

any thoughts on the 4.15% savings account from the Apple Card?
https://learn.applecard.apple/benefits

Was thinking about it just for simplicity reasons.

I’m waiting for Apple to release some kind of signup bonus along with the rate. Their rate is good but not one of the top. I also like two birds with one stone. :grin:

Wealthfront is quite easy to use, though I’ve heard some claim that withdrawing funds isn’t as fast as some. I believe their base rate is 4.30%.

can prob wait until the end of time from an apple signup bonus

99% sure I already know the answer to this, but I’ll ask anyway. Would you take a $150k 10 year loan out for an RV at 6.89% or would you pay cash?

I don’t think there is anything wrong with it or any risk using it, but given how much GS has already lost on the Apple CC there will be better places to park cash for a higher rate of return.

I usually only keep enough Apple Cash to payoff my card throughout the month, any excess I sweep into my linked bank account. They make it so easy to move, might as well send it somewhere it can earn more if that’s the goal.

1 Like

Most of this is priced into the current rates and some of the rate cuts have been priced out. I think at some point in the next several months the market will start pricing in cuts again similar to what happened in early 2023. I m also nervous about the debt ceiling, so I am not buying any treasuries right now. I don’t trust the current administration.

1 Like

As for the account I think their are far better options in terms of rate return at the moment though similar to you I’ll be curious if they incentivize sign ups or not.
It’s Apple so they do not need the cash however I could see it being a “Deposit X for 90 days” and get $100 off an Apple product in order to incentivize sales.

Wealthfront has been pretty easy to use. Outflows are definitely on the slower side but haven’t had any issues. Much better than Marcus. After signing up and depositing I find out that they restrict outgoing transactions for 60 or 90 days. Can only send money out to the institution that funded the account.

absolutely not.

its extremely easy to beat that rate by a WIDE margin.

i know but they’re living in a dream world. even if they do hike another quarter point its not going to significantly increase interest rates at this point.

1 Like

I would probably agree. I guess no :apple: for me then.

I think anything in the 4-4.5% range is pretty decent without too many tradeoffs. The banks that offer 5%+ usually have some strings attached. Like with UFB direct, I couldn’t even deposit any money due to their app being garbage. And I just got an email saying they’re restricting deposit amounts, withdrawals, etc.

IBKR pays 4.33% on the cash balance in your brokerage account and I believe people are protected up to 1M. I think this a great alternative for people who don’t want to deal with treasuries.

SNAXX is currently 4.82%. $74B in assets.