Leasing times two

I am looking to possibly lease two vehicles. Do I just handle the leases separately or do I mention to the dealer my goal of leasing two vehicles in the hopes of better deals?

Zip 08840

I don’t think it will hurt, but depending on car/model it might not help.

Depends on what you’re looking for. If you find a very aggressive deal, don’t be surprised when they won’t duplicate.

If you’re getting into a new brand, and are getting both of the same brand, make sure you get loyalty on the 2nd where applicable.

I’ve tried the whole “but I want 2” before and it hasn’t really helped.

4 Likes

Customer proposition: “How’d like you like to make almost no money on two cars?”

In all seriousness, if you’re getting a hacker worthy deal, it shouldn’t make any difference whether you’re getting one or two vehicles.

9 Likes

At least it’s an opportunity to potentially put +2 on the volume-o-meter rather than just +1 for about the same amount of effort? :thinking:

Look on the bright side… if you’ve already literally taken food off of the salesman’s table, you can’t take more food off an empty table.

4 Likes

You won’t get a better deal for leasing two vehicles compared to one.

15 Likes

This is another good way of looking at it, but regardless I still don’t think it should really make a difference in what kind of deal you get if you put in the work.

I certainly don’t think it’s going to get you a better deal, but it may limit your ability to get two amazing deals.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the best deal is when you get 3 cars at the same time
/s

It does not matter how many cars you buy at a time, in that case all fleet orders would be free upfront.
It depends on what kind of deal you are presenting them to take and if it makes sense for them, even if its a unicorn whether for dealer or customer.

Thats why even unicorn customer deals can be repeated time to time, at the same dealership/group or dealerships can charge MSRP+10k.

Having said that, and reread your post, to be fair negotiate, one lease at a time. Find out if the dealer is even interested in the first lease presentation and then go from there.

2 Likes

I would work on 2 different brands if all else is equal. Maybe the next lease/purchase a few years down the road will give you an inventive if you are coming in off leasing brand X as opposed to brand Y

1 Like

I ran into this very situation when I leased both my cars back in 2019. The way I approached it was as 2 completely separate decisions/transactions. I did the mass emailing to dealerships to see who could get me the best deal on an X5 - finally found one that I was good with and leased it from them. 2 weeks later I decided to lease a 3 series and told the same dealership I leased my X5 from that I’d give them first pass at offering me a deal on the 3 series, but if it wasn’t favorable I’d have no problem leasing from a different dealer.

They ended up giving me a pretty good deal on my 3 series as well. I think that worked out much better than trying to convince them to give me a volume discount on 2 vehicles. From the dealer’s perspective it’s not “yay we get to sell 2 cars” especially when you’re looking for a significant discount below what most people pay. In their eyes it’s just that, cutting into their margins on 2 cars as opposed to just 1.

2 Likes

Unless you have built some rapport with your dealer, they are going to see it as making twice as much money off you!

Cars that lease well are very much the exception in the market. I’m not talking about unicorns but replicable deals with realistic dealer discount that are good leases due to RV, MF and incentives. You are quite unlikely to find two such models at the same store.

For example if one of the vehicles you are looking for is a 3-row SUV, look at the Toyota Highlander. Depending on what the second car is, it might be unlikely to find the same value at the Toyota store vs another brand.

Tell them they’ll get paid in exposure after you tell your friends about their work

2 Likes

Sir this is not the clout house but a dealership…

Plus the higher the clout, the higher the dealer adjustment lol

Great information, thank you!

I leased two tacos. After I was done negotiating the first one, I brought up the fact that I wanted a second one too. I don’t believe there was any more savings that I could squeeze out of that deal, so I was happy to get the same price for both.

1 Like

Carne Asada and Al Pastor?

3 Likes

I believe they were both Tacos de lengua.

Not sure if lengua of cow or lengua of salesman :sweat_smile: