Leasing Car with Sunroof/Moonroof

Hello Experts - Perhaps a rookie question.

I am looking to lease a 2020 Kia Sportage AWD with moonroof option for 10k/3yrs.

Something I wanted to have for a while, however, need your opinion on the cons of having that option.
This pushes the monthly lease little higher though but is there anything else to consider.

Thanks,
Alip

What’s a Nissan Sportage?

4 Likes

A made up car. But when I read it initially I thought it said KIA the mind is a weird place.

1 Like

Pros: you have a sunroof
Cons: whatever it costs

7 Likes

The only downsides I can think of are that you have a potential for leaks, but I haven’t seen that happen in a long time, and you will have less headroom than with a vehicle without that option. So, if you are particularly tall it might be an issue.

2 Likes

Perhaps you can find a better deal on another car that has a sun/moonroof

3 Likes

good catch :grinning:

Yeah doing that. I am here to check if getting a sun/moon roof has any downsides.

Thanks for the response. Headroom is not a concern for me.

1 Like

your mind is in the right place :smiley:

Costs more money
Lose some headroom
Can make the interior a little warmer if there isn’t a good shade

That’s about the extent of it.

1 Like

You forgot exploding sunroofs. Can be dangerous and be costly to repair.

Free to repair on a lease. That’s a warranty issue if ever there was one.

2 Likes

I’d rather have a solid top in the unlikely event of a rollover.

I hate having the sun in my face (I keep the entire panoramic glass roof on my vehicle covered at all times. This also insulates me from being visually assaulted by dirt, bird shit, etc.).

More glass to clean.

More things that can break (motor, switch). Bad seal can cause leakage and wind noise that may never be isolated or fixed.

1 Like

A sunroof is one of those things that you think you’re gonna use all the time. Then you have it and it’s a giant “Meh”.

2 Likes

I use mine nearly every day. 5 of 7 leases had them (2 had pano glass that I wish opened).

OP get a car with a sunroof if you want one.

2 Likes

Or… OP drastically reduce your chance of getting skin cancer by not getting and using a sunroof daily. How’s that for a positive spin?

There are pano roofs that don’t open??? Ew.

I’m more positive than “meh,” but I def don’t think it’s a must-have. I think MB had the best implementation, IMHO, w/ their non-pano sunroofs. The sunshade are vents, so you could tilt open the sunroof and get some ventilation w/o having to open the sunshade.

1 Like

Who said anything about opening it before dusk? I rarely open it before 5pm, definitely not when the sun is shining down directly (why I don’t lease a drop top).

I would also wager I’m in the 99th percentile of LHs who visit their dermatologist(s). I’ve been twice since March with two more visits before June programs end.

The erstwhile Ford CMax, an otherwise ugly exemplar of function/form, which I leased 2 different ones. It had pano glass (an option I paid more for, twice) with retractable sun shade. Still nice to get a little light through the dome but I prefer the fresh air, especially now in COVID traffic I prefer the roof open and the windows closed. If the Pano roof opened and it got the nosejob the Eurospec got it would be perfect. If Ford still made them last year I might have leased one instead of the Volvo.

The Pano roof on the XC60 is :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I never use a sunroof in a car, but I have my convertible top down whenever I can. I don’t understand it.