Leasehackr Lingo/Jargon and Acronyms

It’s a sticky on the global banner. Do you see it? Third bullet point.

I think it should be on this page, https://leasehackr.com/blog?category=Leasing%20101

Where is the Global Banner? I went to leasehackr.com and didn’t see it there either.

Why not just put these useful threads for Newbies right on the 101 page?

1 Like

hey guys. What does TTF mean? I’ve been all over the interweb and this forum and can’t see it defined. Thanks in advance.

Tax, Title, and Fees

TTL (tax, title and license) is what I commonly see more often.

3 Likes

Another great one that I forgot, “broom”. A common tactic used by a senior salesperson on a “jack” or “stroke”

4 Likes

If broker gets this deal, selling out it to somebody else more expensive/more broker fee? Or sells it to carmax/carvana then make profit?

1 Like

I keep broker fee same for outlier, vin specific deals but often require a retainer as a commitment to follow through and transact if the specifics are acceptable to them.

I gotta update some of these for sure.

Bean Can - a base model car with no options, the opposite of “fully loaded”, aka a heater and a key.

1 Like

So let me put that into a sentence…

By definition, A Mercedes will never be a bean can and is always considered Fully Loaded, despite the trim package.

Or at least that’s what I’ve been taught on this forum.

4 Likes

The term “fully loaded” is my biggest pet peeve. No one who uses that term has a fully loaded car and this is how the conversation typically goes.
Customer - My car is fully loaded and I want another one that is fully loaded
Me - Great! Do you have the high-end sound system, ventilated seats, night vision, and self driving/advanced safety features?
Customer - (Looks at me confused) I don’t want those options. I just want heated seats, navigation, and blind spot.
Me - (Internally knowing they just want a base model). Let me show you this well equipped model.

In 5 years, I have only had one customer buy a truly fully loaded car. It was an X6 M Comp with every box ticked.

3 Likes

It’s kind of a running inside joke here. For a while, everyone that listed a MB for transfer listed it as Fully loaded, even if it was the base trim with 1-2 extras only. It was quite comical

4 Likes

Has that term been used a lot here?

No, but it fell out of my brain this morning while reading a :taco: thread so I thought I better add it to this thread. It’s fairly common in the industry, especially for volume brands that offer cheap vehicles, although there’s not a lot of true bean cans being sold anymore(manual, no a/c, manual windows, no stereo, yes they actually sold cars like this)

and those would be Loss Leaders

My dad bought a car when him and my mom were going through a divorce in 82. I was a sprite little 5 year old punk. This car would’ve qualified. No stereo, no air, roll up windows, no power steering, no power brakes.

The only option it had was a rear window defroster. It cost about 8k back in 82, or accounting for inflation, a 21k shitbox today.

Always amazes me when people insist on carplay and driving assist being “must haves” today when I think about that 82 Accord that had carpet and a steering wheel.

3 Likes

Back home in Romania you see a lot of used BMW’s for sale stating “fully loaded except leather, navigation, heated seats” (this is for older BMW’s)

1 Like

One of my parents’ early 1980s Pontiacs had manual windows. Fully loaded otherwise, though. :wink: One of the cars had the rear quarter window tilt out (IIRC). The main portion of the rear window didn’t go all the way down.

A bit off topic: I can’t say if it’s true of the current-gen cars but, back in the day, I thought German luxury cars (kind of) justified their elevated prices b/c they drove better, felt more tightly screwed together, and were sometimes finished to a higher (if still spartan) standard than were cheaper cars (esp MB). And all of that “goodness” was still all obvious even in the base cars options (not that you could get much in the way of options back in the day, anyway).

1 Like

My coworker drove a 15-yr old Hyundai with manual windows, stick shift, and cloth seats? “Why get the loaded cars? All breaks”

He wore out the driver’s seat, and swapped it with the passenger seat… :man_facepalming::rofl:

4 Likes

The last new “bean can” I can recall was the stripper Versa sedan that clocked in at $9,980, which was a while ago.

My first car (used) was an 87 civic sedan, it came with AM/FM (no tape deck), AC was the only option added (if you are only getting one, that’s a good one). M Crank windows. Rack-and-pinion (dad’s 88 Accord when it was new had power steering). If I could get one of those new and just repaint it with undercoat, it would drive forever.

:+1:t2::+1:t2:

There is basic transportation, there is class:comfort, then there is “car must compete with living room”

2 Likes