Leasehackr Lingo/Jargon and Acronyms

I’ve seen new Honda in the 80’s with radio prep meaning no radio at all, it was a black plastic covered for the single din. My favorite is the option for 89 Honda Accord LX right side mirror (not body color).

2 Likes

That I remember. Almost certain the DX trim was the stripper (side mirror optional, door handles and mirrors black and not painted to match).

1 Like

Oh that reminds of my 91 Civic wagon with real time all wheel drive. That’s when I learned that timing belts have a time limit or mileage, I also learned how to swap an engine. Those were the years of the auto seat belts, those were awful.

2 Likes

My mom had a ‘91 civic sedan and yes, insurance discount or not, the auto half seatbelt (still had to put on lap belt) sucked.

What does MRM mean? I did an internet search and found what the acronym means, but I still don’t understand the “real-world” application and significance. TIA.

Maximum residualized MSRP.

For some cars some financial institutions can have a policy of a max residualized MSRP, which as sounds, means a maximum of a MSRP can be residualized. To account for this, you must calculate the effective residual of the maximum residualized MSRP.

To my knowledge outside of USBank I can only recall seeing MRM on higher end cars like Maseratis, Porsches, and now some Mercedes models as @Calvin.MB outlines here.

-Hershey

2 Likes

Certain banks have a cap that they will fully residualize on a lease. For example if you want a vehicle with a $48000 MSRP and the MRM is $47000 than that entire $1000 difference will be added to your lease cost instead of being residualized like it normally would.

US Bank does it, some Credit unions do it, Porche does it and probably some others too

2 Likes

Both CULA (Credit Union leasing of America), and AFG (Auto Financial Group) have MRMs to my knowledge. I’ve only done some research into both of them. @RVguy is the best person to consult with that regard though.

Apparently, some MB models now, too:

Chase (JLRFG has MRMs)

1 Like

Ive seen the terms “captive” in many posts Ive read here, can someone accurately define the word and the use of it, just to be clear.

A captive bank is a bank that is at least partially owned by the manufacturer in question. If you were looking at a Mercedes, Mercedes Benz Financial would be the captive. US Bank would not be.

4 Likes

Had to bump to get some clarification

@dealers @brokers How does allocation, consensus, and constraint work with custom ordering? For brokers, is this a question they ask when building a relationship with dealers? How does consensus work with all these 4xE deals? Would orders be put on hold if dealer does not have consensus for that vehicle?

1 Like

What does that have to do with Lingo/Jargon?

It’s a request for definition of relevant terms. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Let me break this all down for you, except for the 4xe part. There is really no such thing as a “custom order” unless you are contacting the factory directly. Dealers get a certain amount of allocations per vehicle, usually based off previous sales figures, and the dealer can decide what to do with them. Most dealers want to pre-sell any inventory, so they give you the ability to change the options/configuration for a specific allocation to fit what you want. So if a dealer gets 10 allocations of a model, they can offer those to customers as “custom orders” or keep them for inventory. If someone wants to customize a car to specific options, the dealer doesn’t magically get extra allocations. It just comes out of their allocation allotment. If the dealer runs out of allocations, they can put in a request for more and the next round of allocations (usually monthly) will determine if your order is fulfilled or if you need to wait for another allocation round.

I have no clue what you mean by consensus and restraints. Those are not terms used around a dealer or for the ordering process. Unless the brand offers something like custom colors or stitching, it is business as usual for the dealer and the manufacturer. You just have the understand how the allocation process works for ordering a vehicle.

As far as relationships go and acquiring an allocation, it depends on the vehicle. A mass market vehicle, like an X3, is easier since BMW probably builds 100,000 of them a year. You can pretty much walk into any BMW dealer and “order” an X3 and have an allocation available. Something like a GT3 is much more difficult since Porsche will only make a few thousand and each dealer might get 10-15 total. That is where relationships come into play if you actually want to acquire an allocation and not be put on a perennial waitlist.

2 Likes

I think it’s easier to say dealers get X amount of cars per year, depending on the manufacture, some, none or all of those cars maybe be ordered the way the dealer wants. Additionally, dealers maybe offered additional vehicles and again those might be ordered, prebuilt or already built. And all of this is subject to change at any moment for any reason.

2 Likes

@wam22 and @joeblogs, I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Consensus and constraint was something I’ve never heard of either. A friend of mine placed an order for a new Tahoe, and sent me this video to see what I thought:

1 Like

I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that CDJR dealers specifically do have a separate allocation bank for inventory vehicles and custom orders, and that is a large part of why a dealer may be willing to offer a huge discount on an order vs an inventory vehicle.

2 Likes

I am guessing constraint and consensus are GM terms. But the concepts are still the same. We call constraint “option availability” or “vehicle distribution”. I think he is making it more confusing using allocation and consensus since those are essentially the same terms IMO. No one says "I got 10 911 allocations and 2 GT3s on consensus. You just say “I got 2 GT3 allocations and 3 Turbo S allocations”.

Maybe they do but at least for the German brands I have worked for, that is not the case. The only time in my experience we get replacement vehicles on orders is for European delivery or employee programs. I was just trying to give a more general overview.

1 Like