Leased a new car for an ungrateful spouse. Marriage is over. How to unload?

, ,

So a “friend” of mine leased a 2024 Mazda CX-5 Carbon Turbo for his significant other 2 weeks ago. Long story short, marriage was already on the rocks at the time but in those two weeks, the ish hit the fan. Marriage is done. Car is under my friends name, not the spouse. It’s a 36 month lease, and only 2 weeks into it.

Payments are $342.99 and DAS was $4,000 (driveoffs plus $1k in cap cost reduction to keep payment under $400).

MSRP was $39,235
Sale price was: $34,331
Current payoff is: $33,679
Two weeks old and still on temp tags, 200 miles.
Car was tinted and dashcam was hardwired.

How would you walk away from this, taking the least amount of loss?
Turo’ing it to cover the payment+insurance is a thought.

Any advice? What would Jesus do?

Hope your friend likes his new Mazda!

PJ

10 Likes

a friend? or is it youuuuuu –

u know too many details

1 Like

:eyes: sir I’d like to request a lawyer.

2 Likes

Just find a new plus one with strong appreciation of CX-5 … #twobirdsonemazda
I wonder if the hardwired dashcam recorded some good evidence.

If so this car is a keeper.

11 Likes

@Bumboola, I would like a referral fee. Please and thank you

1 Like

That would most likely violate the lease agreement and cause more headaches. I’d stay away from this option unless you absolutely have to and are willing to take the risk.

Go get the current buyout price, and shop the car buyers for the prices they will buy it at. That way your “friend” will know how much underwater he is. Then he can decide.

Otherwise, keep it and ride it out… though I can also understand if he wants to get rid of it at any/all cost.

Good luck.

5 Likes

I think your friend should work with their attorney handling the divorce. A lease is a liability that most interpretation would consider community property to be divvy’d up in the divorce proceeding. It doesn’t matter whose name is on the lease, since they were married at the time the lease was signed, the property/liability and access to the vehicle is held by both.

It doesn’t make sense for your friend to try and unwind the lease right now.

10 Likes

Work with a family law attorney that can help “them” navigate this.

But, assuming “they” need to really unload it, same rules apply - lease transfer (if allowed), sell it (if allowed) etc. They should expect to take an L on it though.

3 Likes

Can’t do anything with that Mazda at the moment. Even tho it’s in your friends name, that’s marital property.

Can’t do anything with it until she says he can sell it or how it’ll be decided during their divorce.

Tell your friend to enjoy the car while he has use of it.

1 Like

^^ this, especially if (divorce) paperwork has already been filed. It would likely be best to sit tight with the vehicle, and consult with an attorney.

Ya know those “blood sucking lawyers”? This is when they earn their pay!

Go seek legal counsel, I am sure there are plenty of attorneys who would be glad to help you in this.

Best of luck in the impending legal battle!

2 Likes

Does it flood in your area of the country?

8 Likes

It does now.

8 Likes

Take a credit card out in her name and payoff the remaining balance.

7 Likes

Probably walk on the sand and leave a trail of footsteps, IIRC.

Tell your friend to enjoy the Mazda.

3 Likes

Most logical lol

I told my wife, if you ever fuck up… I am racking up your credit cards as punishment lol

1 Like

Crypto cold storage is always a good insurance policy for unforeseen events. As is physical pms

2 Likes

Tell your lawyer about it - but first try to sell it off or keep the car. Lawyer option is nuclear depending on your state law your friend might be able to get the “liability” shared