Leased a car in NJ registering in ny

Hi so I leased a car from NJ around July 7th. Dealer is saying 3-4 weeks and I will have my NY plates and registration. Is that how long it is taking? I’ve seen people waiting 3-4 months as well. If it does in fact take longer than the 3-4 weeks, are NJ dealers giving a second Nj tag?

They used RegUsa I think as that is the paper they made me sign. How long are they taking

Ever since covid there has been so much lag to get real plates … it feels like almost every other car in the tristate has temp tags. If you got the car on 7/7 I wouldn’t worry about it rn (it’s only been 20 days).

I don’t think cops bat an eyelid at temp tags any more let alone pull someone over without another underlying reason.

1 Like

NY plates have been taking an avg of 50 days

LEO have not been bothering anyone with expired temps

Your car will get towed and get a ticket if your temp tag expires. Your dealer will always provide you with a new one but you have to ask for it

Blatantly wrong. Just stop.

3 Likes

Not sure about towing . I know someone who waited 4 months. No issues besides getting pulled over a few times. He wasn’t even given a new set of tags

I had expired temps for 6 months with no issues

Car with expired license plate is illegal on the road. My mercedes got towed with a ticket and the dealership sent me a check for all the hassle.

1 Like

ok - then you came across a meter maid who was on that time of month. it’s true that the NYS dmv is a disaster right now. cops do not issue tickets for expired out of state temps, at least not as a primary offense. i have rolled hundreds of cars to nys during the pandemic - most have had dmv delays. not one person got a ticket.

Lately they have gotten very strict in NY because of fake temps. If its expired even one day, they will pull you over

That’s true they are strict. I’ve probably been followed by police 5 times even though the plates are valid

Just to confirm Nj does give a second set of temp tags right?

some dealers do. some dont

Hopefully mine gives them :crossed_fingers:

Per NJ dmv law that are not allowed to give a 2nd temp

Sadly it was a cop. I was on my way to dinner then I had to take uber from the random middle of the street.

1 Like

It’s says in the NJ dmv website you can request another tag

You didn’t get a ticket for something else, you only got pulled over for the unregistered vehicle. Very interesting if so.