Leased a car in NJ how long for NY plates to arrive

Which means it prob hasn’t been processed. I would def follow up with the dealer to inquire although 45 days is not that long of a time really, especially during covid.

I understand your situation tho and it sucks. Coworker was in the same boat and needed his NY registration cause he couldn’t get his LIRR resident parking pass without it so he wasn’t able to drive to the train and leave his car at the lot.

I’m more concerned with @laeloren . 125 days is bananas. Did you ever get your registration/plates?

Right, I wouldn’t be too concerned if the DMV’s were closed but they are not, so to me it looks like the dealership is waiting for few transactions to accumulate so they can process them in bulk.

Leased car from NJ. I’m in NY. Was also in your position waiting anxiously for any updates from mydmv. My plates were finally processed after 50 days and then 10 days they actually arrived from the dealer.

Have you tracked on mydmv? Did you actually see the new plates post on the portal prior to receiving them?

Yes, tracked daily.

Cool thank you

Thanks for the concern - but I haven’t received my registration and plates yet. I have reached out to the dealer but only REGUSA knows where my application is. Called their hotline, but no one picks up the phone. Dealer suggests to just wait.

I’m under the same boat. Leased a car in PA on 1/2/21 and got PA transit tags. They did all the paperwork for me both PA and NY DMVs. Checked my DMV today and doesn’t show my new registration yet under my account. I was also told that I do not need to get a NY inspection until my PA inspection sticker expires.

You won’t be able to get your NY inspection until your plates/registration come in. In NY the first 2 years are only $10 for the year and they only do a “visual” .

Again, you can’t do it until the reg comes in, as they actually have to scan the window reg bar code.

Just to be clear, if my reg comes in within the next 2-3 months lets say, my PA inspection sticker expires 12/21. Do I still have to get a NY inspection sticker right after I get my NY reg? I was told I could go by the PA sticker by NY DMV.

You want to use the existing PA window inspection sticker(s) with NY plates, just because the PA inspection stickers don’t expire until 12/21?

No. You can’t have NY tags and utilize PA inspection sticker. Remove them and pay the $10 fee to get it inspected in NY. You’re asking to be ticketed .

Don’t miss living in NY state anymore. Those NY annual inspection stickers are a pain in the ass. They need to get on board like in NJ where new cars are good for the first 5yrs.

1 Like

Will do! Makes sense to me.
For the inspection, what do you mean by do a “visual”? I got my window tinted right away…

The first 2yrs only cost $10 as opposed to the $43/$45 (whatever it is now) annual fee. It’s just a visual

Visual as they just do a walk around and check to see if your blinkers work etc. they won’t plug the car into the OBD to check for problems (faults etc . )

On year 3 and on, they will start doing that and fee goes up to $45 (no longer $10)

1 Like

Thank you for all people sharing data points in this thread, I’m adding another recent one in case someone else is interested:

Leased in NJ on 12/12/2020, registration appeared in NY MyDMV on 1/18/2021. Got plates and registration sticker from the dealer on 2/4/2021. Had no issues driving with an expired NJ temp tag, we park on our own driveway so no problems with parking either.

I leased a car in PA on 3/31/21 and I’m still waiting for my NY plates. I checked my mydmv account and didn’t see a registration on there. I called the dealer and they said paperwork was sent out and it’s being processed. My temp tag is expiring on 5/25/21. Will I get pulled over and ticketed in NY for having an expired temp tag?

The average waiting time for plates from out of state dealer is ~90 days right now. Sometimes it’s less, sometimes it’s more, but ~3 months is normal.

I think you’re fine. No one is going to bother you really.

Based on the absurdly high number of paper/temp tags driving around, this seems super unlikely

if i get another text or call about where someone’s plates are, especially someone whose temps haven’t expired, i’m going to lose my mind.

I saved my broker that hassle and reached out to the dealership directly 7 days before expiration. Guess what? They didn’t follow up or start the process until my reminder email. Apparently it’s outsourced. So about two months or so it was there waiting on me to remind someone even though temps were unexpired.

They simply overnighted temporary tags & started my registration process.

Then make sure people get their tags on time and if not, that as a broker you work with the dealer to make sure the client gets a new temp… simple as that. I recommended you to a family friend and the experience with you isn’t going so well. You are a broker to help your client but you acted more like a thug in one of those used car dealerships. Never again

1 Like