Leased a car in NJ how long for NY plates to arrive

i leased a bmw in NJ and my temp plates expire on the 13th of this month. i realize that’s a little while to go but just wanted to see how long it took for people to receive their plates. when i called the DMV they said they don’t have anything in their system yet regarding plates for my car.

I dont want to worry about driving around in an unregistered vehicle plus the car gets street parked so its not like i can hide it in a garage.

Ask the dealer to send you temp tags again, they should be able to do that since you don’t have your plates yet

Have been waiting 4 months so far after leasing in early June.

I’m seeing 4 months at least for my nj and ny clients that are buying in PA. It’s fine police aren’t ticketing for it. The dmvs are handling in state tags first before out of state from what I was told.

I just brought an used STI around May at NJ and I’m still waiting for my NY plate…

1 Like

I got a car on 9/18 in NJ and had NJ plates within a week. I know your in a diff state, but I think this would mean NJ dmv isn’t necessarily backlogged.

I leased from a PA dealer and my temps also expire this month. Nothing in the NY DMV system showing registration yet.

NYS suspended expired reg and inspections, you shouldn’t get a ticket. My docs took about 90days to arrive from NJ into NY. DMV.NY.gov website is worth checking out.

from my understanding thats only for plates that were issued up until august 31st. my plates were issued in september. so i dont think i fall under that if im not mistaken

Vehicle registrations including temporary auto dealer registrations and non-driver identification cards that expired in March or after will no longer remain valid after November 3.
Very doubtful that you’d get more than a warning for at least a week or two after that date.

1 Like

Leased a car from PA last July. NY plates hasn’t arrived too. My tags expired last 9/22. Is there a way I can renew the temp tags or purchase a new one? I see that 2 month temp tags are being offered online. Desperately need a car to work, are those temp tags being sold on the internet legit? Thanks in advance.

I bought a new Jeep in Georgia and live in New Jersey. Temp plate expired in mid-October, and plates/registration arrived the last week (of October). Don’t sweat it- DMV’s are way behind b/c of the pandemic…

Mine expired September and still has no clue where my plates are cause DMV has no records of its status. Anyone else waiting for theirs? Did you guys get a second temp tag?

4-6 month wait is typical right now

The DMV clerks at the dealers must go home crying everyday from everyone yelling at them

1 Like

Running on 1 month now. NJ to NY

So can I just go get new plates if I moved out of state and surrender the “old” NY plates when I get them? I was told the temp tag is actually good for 90 days, but given that it’s been over 30 days already, I’m not going to keep waiting when I have no estimate and no way of checking the status.

I waited from June till sometime in October or September for mine from NJ —> PA. Be prepared, but optimistic.

my temp PA plates expired two weeks ago. I just checked on the NY DMV and my car is registered with plates so hopefully should receive soon.

I just checked my registration online and it looks good… As for the physical plates, who knows what month they’ll arrive?

Good for you, just wondering - I got my car from PA too, also a Mazda. Any chance it’s from Scott Cars? Car will also be registered in NY. How long did you wait for yours to show up on NY myDMV?