Leased a car in NJ how long for NY plates to arrive

Leased first week of June through Ninja, picked up at Ramsey Volvo in NJ. Have NJ temps and still waiting on NY plates. No one at Ramsey is returning my calls. Can someone explain wtf is going on? How can it possibly take 6 months to get plates and how does covid have anything to do with this? I get there was a backlog but it was 6 MONTHS AGO.

Did you reach out to Ninja?

Just did. Thanks.

Same experience. Got my car from the Ninjas too, it’s been 4 months. No plates yet. Picked up the car in NJ, also a resident of NY. Reached out to them a week ago, he said he will look into it but never got back to me.

AFAIK all NJ temp tags were extended till 12/31

I’m in the same boat, expired temporary plates two months ago, suspended New York plates now. It’s been four months since I got the car. The problem is the company called RegUSA which handles out of state DMV transactions. The communication between them and my dealer has broken down so many times. Frustrating!!!

There’s nothing the dealers or the outsourced registration companies can do. They are at the mercy of the dmv. A terribly inefficient government agency that will use covid for an excuse for their shortcomings for years.

You should not get ticked for it. The cops know what’s going on with tags…

1 Like

Agreed. Drove in PA with expired temp tags for a month and pulled over once because they thought I was out past curfew (Was not, stupid county law). No comment on the tags at all.

Had a friend in NY who leased a BMW in NJ and is still waiting for her NY plates (3 months already ). She still has the paper temp NJ tag affixed to her rear window.

Keep telling her she might as well move to Jersey Lmaoo…

Both NY and NJ are backed up due to covid. Nothing you can do but wait really . Good thing is that police are not ticketing for expired temp tags as there has been an executive order from both Murphy and Cuomo.

Just wait

I leased a BMW in NJ and got my NY plates 40 days later (early October to mid November). Not sure if the blame is entirely on the DMV, but probably not unfair to think so. Who knows what’s going on over there?

These paperwork outsourcing companies can be really hit-or-miss. Some really good, some really bad.

I just don’t see what covid has to do with anything. It’s been 6 months already. Clearly whatever backlog they had has been worked through. Agree it’s just constant excuses.

License and reg showed up on NY DMV website 49 days after NJ deal. Now just need to wait for dealership to send it to me.

Been waiting 125 days for reg and plates. No changes still on NY DMV website. PA deal.

How do you verify NY DMV that your vehicle has been registered?
I got a car from NJ and it’s been 45 days already, called the dealership and they have no record of my file. I was transferred to a “title” person at the dealership and left a message, that was few weeks ago and no response.
NY dmv’s are open and I have not seen anything official that allows for temporary registration extension for vehicles purchased in November. Not really sure where to go from here.

The dealership is saying the have no record of selling you a car?

I know in NY there’s a way to check if you register/sign up for “mydmv”. You can check to see all your registrations currently.

Anyone know if something like that exists in NJ?

They are saying that my application has not yet been processed. I would understand if the DMV was closed but they are not so I am not sure what the hold up is and the person responsible for handling the registration has not returned my call.
Usually I wouldn’t mind the delay but my registration is tied to parking permits in my town and I need the car registered in order to get other things in order.

I have access to NY my DMV but nothing shows under registration except my past vehicles which makes me think the registration process hasn’t started.

I would really get on the dealers case, involve your sales person, manager, etc.

Tell them your plates are expired and you can’t drive it legally so you want money, new temp tags, and your plates done. You’ll probably get 2/3 of those things.

This happened to me in 2018, NJ dealer we bought a CPO X3 from took way too long to get plates, temps had expired.

1 Like