Leased! 2019 Boxster S 39/15 $1,398 including tax, LEP, PSMP 50k

So I realize I’m about to get crucified, but I wanted to create a case for a brand that Leasehackr has always told me to buy and never to lease: Porsche. Specifically the Boxster S I just signed a lease on. Here are the numbers on buying vs leasing for 39 months on a 2019 with an MSRP of $80,730:

BUY with the $5000 discount that my broker was able to get me at $75,730.
Edmunds trade in of 2016 Boxster S with same options is $35,613.
Depreciation: $40,117
Tax: $7,468
Prepaid Maintenance: $3,825 (what I paid in the lease)
Interest (60 month loan at 4.62%) for 39 months: $5,725
$40,117 + $7,468 + $3,825 + $5,725 = $57,135

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2019 Porsche Boxster S including lease end protection and 50k pre-paid scheduled maintenance:
MSRP: $80,730
Monthly Payment: $1398
Minimum Drive-Off Amount: $3450
Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 15,000
MF: .00247
Residual: $41,172
Region: NorCal

The total cost of the lease I just signed including tax, lease protection and 50k miles pre-paid maintenance is ($1,398 x 38) + $3,450 = $56,574.

So owning for 39 months would have cost approximately $57,135 and my 39 month lease will cost me $56,574.

Glad I leased.

Looks great! Enjoy the ride!

1 Like

Do you mind sharing the calculator link with discount and incentives?

Also really stupid question, why would you do a 39 month lease? You will pay maybe$1000 in registration for last 3 months

Not a stupid question at all. It’s easy to overlook this, and it can wipe out the savings one gets on the longer term, particularly on higher-MSRP units.

3 Likes

Doesn’t Porsche have a 12 month pull ahead program? If so, OP can get out of this car and into a new one before paying the 4th year of registration.

Speaking of crucified, this thread is about to die for our sins

11 Likes

5k discount is too little.
15k miles a year in Boxster is a lot! I heard the stock tires last 3-4k miles. That’s a lot of tire changes …

2 Likes

Was pre-paid maintenance on this $5k?

Looks like the play here is to buy a 3 year old CPO. Based on all the numbers that you’ve provided, you are going to spend more on a 3 year lease than actually buying a 2016 model. I am guessing it will be worth something in 3 years.

11 Likes

But it won’t have the new car smell :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The stupid 1% rule means total lease cost should be ~ 36% off MSRP. In this case it comes to a whopping 70%.

Now, to analyze your lease, its a good thing that you leased because:

• Residual isn’t guaranteed, so you have a peace of mind that if you bought it, you don’t have to worry about the trade in value
  • You saved about ~3.5K in taxes if you had bought it new, as you would have paid tax on the residual amount as well

However, the case for buying is:

• The MF on lease is very very high. And remember, the average amount financed on a lease is always much higher than average amount financed with standard loan.
  • Are you sure about the 60m interest rate? Won’t CUs given you a better loan?
  • That doc fee is really high? Not sure if its the acquisition cost.
  • Do you really need to spend 3.8k on maintenance for 45k miles? I know some of these scheduled maintenances are pricey but sheesh, this seems pretty steep.

Porsche offers 4.24% on 60 month purchases right now. CU would probably be a little cheaper.

Average financed amount on a purchase is lower over the life of the lease, but during the 1st three years of a purchase it’s actually not all that much different, unless you put a lot down.

He’s in CA, so doc fee is set at $85. Looks like that’s the acquisition cost.

Standard CU rates 3000 miles away

2 Likes

CU would be a lot cheaper. Top tier credit loans from a CU in the SF Bay Area, which is near OP (from the pictures). Granted they go up from here, but wow.

1 Like

I suspect one would have to drive very, ahem, spiritedly to wear out tires in 3k miles.

1 Like

Your comparable rate should be cut in half. Edmunds trade in value is the lowest amount of effort, a quick gander at six speed or rennlist shows a much higher actual sales price.

I guess if you take the worst possible inputs to try to justify the decision, then the math works.

4 Likes

“Looks like the play here is to buy a 3 year old CPO. Based on all the numbers that you’ve provided”
The problem is the numbers he’s provided. Just bought a boxster s, and no fing way is a 3 year old box s worth 35k. Lmk when you find a 2016 for 40ish (his 35k plus profit and reconditioning).

2 Likes

Super quick and dirty search for ~45k miles on a 2016:

1 Like

Cayman owner here. The Goodyear F1s on my 2016 lasted 19k miles before I replaced both sets (even though the fronts had a bit more life left). Do my fair share of spirited driving on backroads and 2-3 HPDE per year (no track time). The current Michelins PS4S seem on their way to last between 15 and 20k as well. So no, not 3-4k miles. Not even close.

3 Likes