$0 down
5 MSD’s
36/12000
73% Residual - $26,XXX payoff
.002 MF (.0016 with 5 msd’s)
No extras (gap/tire/etc)
$320 per month - $342 w/ Colorado Taxes
**Hopefully lowered after reselling in a year or two

I did research for a few weeks about this specific lease. I looked on multiple forums to see what others were paying out-the-door (otd) for their same Tacoma. $33,300 was the lowest I could find, but it was unverified. I went my local dealership and they didn’t even have an Off-Road Double Cab in stock. I emailed multiple dealers and was given an approximate quote of $500 a month lease. I was unable to find any that quoted with MSD’s. My sister works at a Toyota 100 miles away and their Manager provided a “family deal” of $450 a month with 5 msd’s and $350 down. I decided to stop into a dealer late Friday night after a salesman told me that had all the colors in stock…well they didn’t have but 1 Off-Road in stock. I was able to get them to $34k and toss in a free bed extender. I worked at a motorcycle dealership during my time in college and am familiar with all the sales techniques. I knew this was the best deal that I would find. I was then quoted $380ish a month. I didn’t understand why. I busted out my iPhone, put the numbers into the Leasehackr Calculator and came up with $330~ including taxes. He was able to get it to $342 including tax using Toyotas calculations. I figured it was close enough, denied all the extra bs, and drove away happy!

I’ll watch the market, check CarMax quarterly to see about selling to them, hopefully make a few thousand back which will lower my over all payments, and have the same deal lined up for a new lease. By my calculations:
$342 x 36 = $12,321
Trade in Value of 2014 Tacoma’s w/ similar packages are at $28k on kbb and I’ll owe $26k
$12,321 - $2000 = $10,321 / 36 = $286 a month

Thanks for all the help on this forum!

5 Likes

Excellent job. This is what it means to be a savvy buyer, using leasehackr calculator to call bs and knowing exactly how to look for and negotiate for a specific vehicle.

Would pull the trigger if something like this could be achieved in CA

2 Likes

Great job, you put in the work and you got an awesome deal! You went over and beyond with the Carmax stuff :slight_smile:

Awesome job, thanks for sharing!

Was 5 the max number of MSDs they allowed? Just curious.

Thanks for posting…the more people share their deals, the better for everyone

This is what we got. 305 a month for 48 months 15k miles a year. Out of pocket was $500 plus a camry with 220k miles and a transmission that wont go to reverse and alot of bumps and dings and a bumper that fell off for going off road.the reason we got the truck because the car wasnt running good anymore. The $500 was to payoff the camry btw. The tacoma we got was a limited. Msrp 37xxx. Selling price was 32xxx. Wasnt a demo car. Only had 16 miles on it. Residual value is 23xxx.

That is a huge discount on that truck!

I agree. I dont know if they bigger discounts on the limited. But i thought that was a pretty good deal.

I think there are certain cars that should be bought than leased . The Tacoma usually retains a really high residual value… I purchased one for 30k and in 3 years sold it back to car max for close to 27k with 30k miles. CarMax told me the Tacoma’s are usually a hot car.and fetch good money.

Well i thought of buying it. But my monthly would be above $500 a month. Hopefully ill be in the positive within the 3 or 4 yrs.

I did the same thing almost word for word as the OP 12 months ago- and unbelievably I am already in a POSITIVE equity situation. It has enticed me enough to just buy the truck as I absolutely love it, and should net some serious profit 4 -6 years down the road. Tacomas have insane residuals, and I even thought they over shot the residual numbers, but they are holding true. I pay 350/mo 36/15k on a 2016 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 6 Speed MT.

1 Like

if you’re lease was good with high residual then your buyout is going to be expensive with high residual.

I actually read up on your deal. Thats how i got mine because of you.

1 Like

My residual is 23xxx. Buying it out is not as expensive as i thought was goin to be.plus i think ill have some positive equity when my lease ends.

You are absolutely right- it is. With current projections however I will still have 2k positive equity at lease buyout time in 24 months. This is of course if all goes well.

Can someone help understand what I seem to be doing wrong? I’ve got them talked down to 34,500 on a 2017 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC LB, 0 down and they’re still looking to be about 450/m. I mentioned doing multiple MSDs and he said it doesn’t make a difference, and they don’t do that.

Now, another dealership that I’m haggling with is at ~35,500, and with 0 down/5MSDs my payment would be around 420/m after taxes. Granted this is still 1,500 more then the original post, but I don’t see a grand off dropping my payments by that much.

Am I missing something? This is my first lease vehicle, and I’m trying to figure it out…

Oh, both are 3 years 36k miles.

Thank you! If all goes well, I’ll be driving this home tomorrow

Do you have the basics of the lease? MSRP, Sale Price, Residual Value, Money Factor, etc…? If you have all those, you should be able to calculate the payment pretty accurately.

The dealers should disclose all that beforehand…press them for all that info. Ask about their acquisition fee, dealer fee, DMV fees, etc…

Would you be interested in 48months? Might help you lower the payment.