Lease return soon - repair dings or take the hit upon return?

Not sure if this belongs here, sorry if not. I have a 2018 Infiniti Red Sport which is due to be returned in January. It has a few flesh wounds mostly from people dinging my car in parking lots, and one self-inflicted. None of them are terrible but will probably total a few grand to repair. I was wondering if I should get them repaired or just return it as is and pay whatever they charge me. TIA.

A few grand??? Sounds a bit more than just some dings…

2 Likes

Can you get a pre-inspection done? That way you know and can decide without guessing. Check with your lessor on what they offer

1 Like

Get the free pre inspection done. Log into your Infiniti account and look for end of lease options or info.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Mercedes will demand 2 new front tires and was told they may ding me for a rather small nick on the windshield. Trying to decide if it is worth it to fix.

Absolutely get an inspection, then you can repair, you just need a receipt showing repair.

No idea about Nissan, I had a great experience with Honda, I had major damage that was waived in 2017 and again recently. This time I was not even releasing with them. I posted the details in one of the Acura threads

2 Likes

Thanks all for the replies. The pre-inspection thing sounds like a good idea. This is my fourth Infiniti having had 3 Gs and this one, so they have let things slide a couple of times before. None of the others were quite as dinged up as this one though.

I guess it’s my last Infiniti based on what I’ve read about the company’s direction though. Shame really, I Ioved all of them and zero problems. Not sure what to get next, maybe an Audi.

sounds like you have only a couple of months left to start your search. Especially if you want out by November or December. I gout out of my last lease 4 months early last time.

“A few grand??? Sounds a bit more than just some dings…”

Well that’s my guess. There’s all this fancy moulding on the front which has a slight rip and some scratches. Plus there’s some sensors in there somewhere. It looks expensive. It would be nice if I’m wrong though.

I’m assuming you have checked to ensure you cannot sell it for what you owe? Probably a long shot on that car.

What is wrong with the direction? Does it apply to Nissan too?

Yes, the whole company I think. They’ve had a few problems over recent years. There are some threads about it on here somewhere.

No, haven’t done that. Is it an undesirable car? I quite like it.

At least in the past the residuals were way off on that car. Either way spent 5 minutes and get quotes. In this crazy market you may be surprised.

Ah ok. I checked my lease and the RV is 32k, KBB values it at 28-31k. The original price was 51k. It has everything other than whatever package keeps it in the driving lane automatically. I guess it’s not quite worth the residual value based on that.

Ignore kbb value and get actual quotes from carvana and vroom. It’s a very interesting market right now and kbb could be way off. Also you should get the payoff amount from the bank not your RV in your contract.

2 Likes

Have anything in common with Spandau Ballet or Spandau, Berlin? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Carvana offer on my TLX was 3.5k higher than kbb

1 Like

Depends, small dings less than 1/4" across are usually not chargable. Call your leasing company and get a ‘end of lease’ kit which has a listing of all those.

For other things, here I’ll list my kia charges
Any Dent Over 4" Long - $250
Any chip in paint larger than 1/4 - $50
Any large ding - $55
Any Tire - $90

And for my volkswagen
Any Windshield - $400

The band :slightly_smiling_face:

No particular reason, just a random thing as I tried to think of a name.

1 Like