Lease opinion 2020 Range Rover Sport HST - Austin, TX

Granted, this link doesn’t offer the latest model year data but suffice to say the RR’s are not known for their reliability historically:

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Land_Rover_Range_Rover.html

1 Like

Let’s not forget our friend Doug Demuro.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/heres-final-update-my-range-rover-carmax-warranty-281474979901455

HST is a hot car but in this climate you can push for a way better deal on a HST. Land Rover dealers are not like BMW and other brands that work off a volume based pro-rating holdback. No matter how many cars they sell their profit per car stays the same, and most over ordered for the Summer and are dumping inventory to avoid unnecessary flooring costs during the pandemic.

2 Likes

I put it in quotes because it’s not a credit in the true sense of what a credit is. It’s another incentive. You will not know what a dealer has, and some are already out of them. Point being, it’s a great time to lease an X5 in Texas because of the credit on them.

1 Like

2017 / 2019 / 2020s are bulletproof. I’ve sold countless and not a single one has had issues.

14 - 15 - 18 were not good model years as far as reliability is concerned (mainly electrical issues)

2 Likes

As per the numbers, i personally would go for the Velar because its less money with the luxury of a range rover and 1700$ for a car seems too much personally, you can get a Range rover velar for like 600$/ month with 2k DAS. I got a similar deal from a dealer in Maryland. Just my opinion on it.

$1700 per month??? How much money do you make per year op, hope it’s $400k+

1 Like

Really not our business how much OP earns, and a surefire way to send a thread sideways is to toss around earnings and thoughts on budgets.

My $0.02

:bat:

1 Like

The heart wants what the heart wants :grin:

3 Likes

Appreciate that! Def not trying to focus on earnings here. Doesn’t matter what I make a year. I wouldn’t be looking at RR if I couldn’t afford it. Just want to get the experts thoughts on the numbers! Thanks all! If there are specific things I should ask let me know. Really appreciate it.

I’d have a conversation with @blvckauto

2 Likes

Have you already asked for money factor, residual numbers and incentives for the month on the Edmunds lease forums to understand what your best case scenario is? Always a good idea.

Forgive me for saying but this must be the worst lease deal I’ve seen, and I’ve seen some bad ones. I got a fully loaded RR Velar For my wife when it just came out, $74000 MSRP for $720 per month including 9% CA tax with $1800 total drove off. You’re paying $1100 more for $18,000 difference! The most you should pay for that car is $1000 per month with $2000 total drive off, with 10,000 miles per year for 36 months. The difference between 10k and 15k miles shouldn’t even be $100 more.

If you don’t care for how much you pay, then why don’t you finance the car for 5 years, you’d pay the same payment, and after 3 years if you turn it in you’ll probably pay less than what you would have paid on the lease. You can ask for at least 10% discount on the msrp. Dealers are so desperate these days to move anything.

Here’s a link to a similar car, $92k MSRP, for sale for $82k.

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/786361865/overview?aff=share_other

Not even sure where to start with how awfully wrong this post is but I will agree it’s a pretty nasty deal.

• RRS HST =/= RR Velar (any trim)

• Tax structure is vastly different in Texas and on this deal tax&acq alone is $200/mo.

• Residual values are different, mileages are different.

• Dealers aren’t as desperate as you think. Especially JLR.

4 Likes

Here’s a 2019 RR full size HSE hybrid, $109k MSRP, for sale for $93k. I’m sure you can get more discount on the price. Just look around. Don’t get emotionally attached. After 6 months you’ll regret overpaying.

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/807761673/overview?aff=share_other

1 Like

Wow there’s a lot to unpack here.

#1 Velar is not a Range Rover Sport (let alone a HST). Not even in the same universe. Completely different cars. Shouldn’t even be considered the same brand. That’s like comparing a GLC300 to a G63 AMG because they share a badge.

#2 Programs are drastically different between a Velar and RRS HST. Taxes are completely different in Texas (which is why this structure is $1,700 / month).

#3 Jaguar Land Rover is not BMW. They do not get volume based holdback bonus so they hold gross (the largest holdback in the industry, again not determined by volume). I’ve never seen 10% on a HST unless you know someone at the dealership, period. Range Rovers are big boy cars with big boy payments, there are no incentives (aside from loyalty), chances are you won’t get base MF, and you won’t be at a 1% payment. It’s the tough reality but that’s how it is. If you want the premium car, you have to pony up and pay the premium price.

I honestly don’t get why people flip out over Range Rover / Range Rover Sport leases when there are people paying 40k over for G63s and they don’t say a word. HST is the same, it’s an extremely limited car in very high demand.

/ rant over

3 Likes

And this has been said 100x over already but it’s the opposite of the truth. Most dealers are focused on gross. Business is down, that generally doesn’t motivate a dealership to pay you to buy a car from them. That only happens when business is hot and they can afford to take losses when it makes sense in the bigger picture.

4 Likes

We considered both of these vehicles, but chose neither.

Forced to pick one of the two, I’d get the Velar because it’s much better value (to me) and has the same practical utility in everyday life (getting groceries in a gentle snowfall, shuttling to the airport on a weekday in June).

I also had the S550 Coupe on my list. I didn’t grab one of these either, and not because it couldn’t scale the side of a mountain with aplomb.

Value is highly subjective, and as budgets go up so do the number and variety of choices.

2 Likes

In Texas we pay 6.25% sales tax on the entire purchase price of the vehicle. Whether it’s leased or purchased.