Lease in PHX or Drive from Cali

I am moving to Phoenix for the next 4 years and am looking to do a 4 year lease on a vehicle. I’m from NorCal and because I will be moving stuff down there, I am open to driving a new car down or just leasing in AZ.

I saw some posts that leasing in AZ is not as aggressive as rates may be in CA. How would getting a car in CA be in regards to the tax rates and registrations? Can I provide my new PHX address at the lease time?

Both states tax on the monthly payment/ so you will be taxed monthly based on where the car is registered. I live in Phoenix and lease cars out of LA. Not enough competition here to get an aggressive deal on a higher end car. I typically get a 1 way permit to drive home and register the car here myself. I would wait until you have an address here to make the purchase or you may end up paying for a registration in CA and AZ the first year. Not all dealers will do out of state deals, bur I have found plenty of BMW stores will and a few Lexus as well.

Definitely lease in CA, beside cheaper there, also doc fee is 85 vs 499.
Tax rate is cheaper (in Scottsdale). A lease payment $530 in San Jose became $498 here.

Keep in mind that driving one way from Sacramento (guesstimating location) is gonna blow about 7% of your yearly mileage allotment on a 10k per year lease, so budget your mileage accordingly. Also consider doing two 2 year leases sequentially versus a 4 year lease. A) You give yourself a quicker out if you have to move again or you blow past the mileage allotment B) You don’t have to worry about warranty issues past 3 years on most cars and C) 24 month residuals are almost always higher and can result in more favorable terms.

1 Like

Think you meant to say sequentially rather than concurrently?

Oops. Yeah what you said.

Usually CA deals are better than AZ deals.

Don’t do a 4 year lease.

You can buy (lease) from a CA dealer and register it in AZ. You can choose whether to ship or drive your car. Up to you.

That’s what I figured. I would probably get a better purchase price here in California just based on competition alone. I have my apartment lined up in PHX so I can provide that address. Would I buy the car from a dealership with that address and then let them know I need a 1 way permit?

Figured as such. Tax rate would probably be cheaper

Thanks for the 2 year lease tip. I hadn’t even thought about this but definitely will have to look into it. I know I will be in PHX for the next 4 years so not worried about the quicker out. I won’t be driving that much so a minimal lease works for me (so not really worried about blowing the 700 or so miles from here).

I live in Phoenix and was able to get a decent lease deal on a Acadia Denali 2.5 years ago. As my lease is up in 6 months I was considering the 2020 redesigned Acadia when it is released “this fall”. If I were to do a GM loyalty lease I wonder if I could work out a deal with an LA dealership through email and then drive my current vehicle out there to trade it in and drive the new truck back?

A 48 month term (if offered) will have terrible residual and quite possibly different rebates from the more common 24 and 36 month terms. It might not be subsidized by the captive lender and a third party bank might be involved. In any case those longer term leases are never favorable to the customer. Another option might be to get a 36 month lease and see if the finance companies offer extensions at lease end. 6 months is definitely doable in most cases, not sure about a year.

Yes, use your Phx address and get a 1 way permit (unless they will register the car for you). Once you get here just take the paperwork to the dmv (or go to an offsite location to save a lot of time). They will get you a temp plate. Once you loan books (a few weeks) you call the leasing company to have them send you a power of atty. With this you can get the real plate.

Check out Simpson GMC in Orange County. I have leased from them and it was a great experience. No one in PHX could come close to the price. Typical CA pricing a few thousand under invoice plus rebates was my experience. Plus doc fees are $80 vs $500 locally.

If a CA dealer will handle the registration in AZ on my behalf, there is no need for a 1 way permit? Is there anything else I have to do then?

If they do handle the registration you do not need to do anything. Of all of the cars I have purchased only one dealer handled the registration (and charged $150 for using a 3rd party service to so it). Most will not want to deal with the paperwork and will want you to do it.

So what is the overall process of the 1 way permit? Is that something I have to handle ahead of time at the DMV? Or would this be done at the dealership at the time of purchase? Is there a cost associated with it?

Dealer gives you the permit. It gets you a 1 way trip home. You need to go the DMV when you get here to get a temp tag (they last 45 days). Once you get the power of atty from the leasing company you can register the vehicle and get a real plate (the vehicle is owned by the leasing company so you cannot register it without the POA, you cannot get the POA until your loan is in the computer system and usually takes a few weeks). If there is a charge for the 1 way permit it is nominal.

I am an insurance broker here, so when you get here hit me up for your car insurance ;).

Thanks for the tip on Simpson! I wonder if I could return the current vehicle here and avoid the turn-in fees and possible mileage overage if I can “prove” I leased another GM vehicle? It would be nice to do the one-way flight and drive the car back thing. As ridiculous as it sounds a big reason I have not considered CA leasing before is the ugliness of the front license plate holder which is not required in AZ. Even when removed typically two ugly screw holes are visible. First world problems!

Tell the dealer ahead of time you don’t want the front holder installed. I’ve done this for all of my vehicles in CA and they just hand it to me to “install” myself.