Lease 2018 Ford Fusion Energi

Hi, I am new to leasing and this is the deal I was given for a 2018 Ford Fusion Energi. I have been doing some research but would like to get the Hackrs thoughts.

MSRP: 36,185
Discounts: 9190.00. dealer clumped together state, federal and dealer discount/incentives.
Monthly Payment (incl. tax): $476.40
Drive-Off: $0
36 month lease
15,000 miles per year
total cost for 3 years: 17,150.4
residual: 10,493.65

1 Like

oh man, that is WAY too much! your residual is super low. Just from looking at the $17k for 3yrs i would walk away.

1 Like

+1 to what above post said

1 Like

Maybe it’s better to buy a prius

1 Like

WTF.

No! Run away.

1 Like

You can pretty much buy a mildly used 2016 Fusion Energi for 17-22k.

1 Like

Hahahahaha the residual is like 29%. You do NOT want to lease or own this car. Run away.

2 Likes

I looked briefly at these because of the huge rebates and low MF on them, but there’s literally no way to make them appealing with a 29% residual. If you like the size just get the Clarity and thank yourself later. If the size isn’t important check out the Volt and Clarity and see which one you like better.

1 Like

Also, depending on your region there’s like no dealer discount here, they might even be pocketing trunk money. Last month in my area there was almost 11k in rebates, I don’t know if that changed.

Or the Accord Hybrid. Pricey but will hold its value. I have a friend with an Energi, financed it new, currently about $10k upside down. Terrible.

2 Likes

I am in California and I think you are correct about pocketing money. I am green to leasing and he knew it. Thank you so much for responding! I went on the Ford website yesterday or another local dealer and it was cheaper than this.

Wow! I don’t want that! Thanks for the warning as I did not see many reviews on this car.

I liked the size but maybe the Volt or Clarity is for me? I will look into it. Thank you for the tips.

There’s a reason why Ford is getting out of the passenger car business and focusing on Trucks and SUVS, and you probably don’t want to get caught up in that unless you are looking to finance something like a Mustang. Check Edmunds for your local incentives and numbers on something like the Clarity or Volt if you are looking for a Plug in Hybrid. In California depending on your area check the marketplace, @chevysalesgirl and @ChevyPhil among others are always posting deals that are transparent and on the level for Volts in particular. Not much Honda traffic here outside of occasional brokers, I think @nyclife was branching out to California on some things, but I don’t know if he’s done Claritys out there yet.

1 Like

If you liked the size of the Fusion then the Clarity will be a better choice based on the current programs and rebates. Much higher residual value too.

1 Like

Volt
Clarity
i3

All of these have the equivalent setup, and will cost about half of what you are looking at on this Fusion.

Do some research on here, and save yourself about 9K.

1 Like

Sorry but the i3 is a joke regarding size and range compared to the others.

1 Like

I really appreciate the recommendations. I will definitely email the 3 listed. Thanks for the warning!

I did some research and thought I knew enough?? I was wrong and will keep researching.

1 Like

In general your best option is to find the car and trim level that has the best possible residual value and highest possible rebates that you qualify for, with the lowest possible MSRP at that trim level, and negotiate the selling price from there. A car with a residual as low as the Fusion would require an ungodly amount of rebates to make it even worth considering. Even in areas where they were giving people literally 33% of the car in rebates it was way too much, especially considering that the Volt and Clarity are both about the same MSRP and have about the same amount of rebates.

1 Like