Leaf vs Deer - 1:1. venting

Venting here while in ER as what else a guy to do other than reading LHšŸ˜€

So driving on my road on the way to the ER cause my son had 105F and decided not to wait for Ambulace. Usual 40mph road but at night and no street lights. All of a sudden see a deer that was just checking mail in someoneā€™s mailbox decided to bolt across the road. Breaks, hit, airbags deployed. F.ck. Full frontal. Car dead. Deer seems to be also being few feet upfront on a side of a road.
That was my first ever accident with a dear.
Iā€™m ok. My son didnā€™t even realized it was an accident and asked why we stopped. That was a surprised. So had to call 911 and had us bring to ER where we we going originally anyways.

Now sitting and pondering if $40k Leaf gets totaled and what to replace $259 monthly lease. Almost made to the end of the crazy market prices with these two cheap Leafsā€¦ just installed home EV charger.
Now need to call insurance tomorrow and get a rental and see where thatā€™s all going to go.

First time experience with EV going through totaling process. Pretty sure I get $0 since check may go to Nissan and it would keep any overages.

Ughā€¦
Son is ok. So far nothing from the accident as he was in 5 point harness seat in the back though front facing as he 6. They still seat ok in 5 point harness and no boosters yet.

End of venting for now.
No pics as it was dark.

19 Likes

You can replace the car but what it carried is what is most precious! Stay safe and keep us up to speed!

7 Likes

If he wasnā€™t ok, I donā€™t think Iā€™d be typing here.
But since he is, mind goes to the next issue.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Wish you and your son fast recovery!

8 Likes

Sorry to hear about the accident and glad your son is safe. On a lighter note, youā€™re definitely an LH addict when sitting in ER you mourn the loss of a $259 cheap ev lease and wonder what to replace it with :joy:

9 Likes

Glad you and son okay, the $259 was the hi-cap batteryā€¦I would be salvaging that thing! lol

3 Likes

Glad everyone is okay.

2 Likes

hope your kidā€™s ok.

i have to admit a slight tinge of disappointment after reading the body of the thread compared to reading the title. after the last EV thread I was kind of hoping for some kind of kooky ass story of how a stupid nissan leaf just couldnā€™t keep up with the deer in race or some other ridiculous comparison.

3 Likes

I was actually pretty surprised and how good Leaf held up itā€™s part of the deal of protecting us.

We were just able to walk away. My son didnā€™t even realize at start what had happened (and no he didnā€™t lose consciousness, paramedics and firefighters checked him out)

I was always concerned that with low car like Leaf the body of the deer could fly into the windshield and inside the car but it actually pushed deerā€™s body outwardly.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m able to thing about other things while son peacefully sleeping on the bed after taking meds and fever came down.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you and your son are ok!

I was curious about this as a fellow dad & LEAF driver.

3 Likes

Pain chart 0-10 - ā€œpatient responded with 10 referencing his $259 Leaf lease.ā€

Glad everyone is okay, deer suck.

9 Likes

Hey, thatā€™s a reasonable askšŸ˜‚

Now Iā€™m just guessing if insurance company would want to fix or total a $40k Leaf being an EV and not your regular gas engine with currently car looking like this.
If thatā€™s a $20k fix or even $30k still leads than $40k write off with only 1 year left on a lease.:thinking:

2 Likes

Glad your son and you are ok. Cheap leases are hard nowadays. I know its exact opposite but maybe frontier, those can be had under 300s. Not sure leafā€™s have good leases nowadays.

Upside is in the frontier you can haul the carcass off with you afterward (deer tag sold separately)

7 Likes

Glad everyone is ok. Wait until you get the bill from the Hospital. Then it will be hacking time. Not sure where you went, but the billing at Stamford Hospital is god-awful.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve about that in other states but Iā€™m not sure it is a thing in CT. I donā€™t know anyone who is hunting deers Iā€™m this area so would not even know where to start with a tag ā€œto keep what you killā€ or however that was said in Riddick

1 Like

Iā€™m used to thatšŸ˜‚ and yes, that was stamford hospital. Still better than my experience few months earlier in San-Diego childrenā€™s hospital.

2 Likes

Bro glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced but human lives canā€™t.
Temp of 105 : ice packs under the arm pits and forehead.

5 Likes

Wow, somehow missed this. Glad that everyone (but Leaf) is well. Thatā€™s scary.

2 Likes

Thank you.

as an update: Adjuster saw the car today is deemped it total loss. Ugh. Asked why he said ā€œeverything is expensive nowā€. For example, out headlights are coming up as $2,500 EACH!!!. We were WTF? Are they made out of gold of what?
Donā€™t have a full report yet but need to go back to the drawing board.

1 Like