Kia EV6, mustang mach e, hyundai ioniq 5 @ msrp?

@hashone Please elaborate. I also prefer our Leaf over my Y mainly for the ride, driver display and physical controls. How is the the ride in the Ioniq 5? I also like the interior space in the i5, not many of these EVs have a 2nd row that slides and reclines (if I remember correctly).

1 Like

I would not hold my breath on prices crashing just because Biden signed the bill.
There are plenty of cars still sitting on lots irrelevant of the Bill with blessings just because “shortage, new model, popular model, etc.” pick your dealership excuse.

4 Likes

how? model3 has 100 miles on ioniq5

The ride is definitely better in the i5 over the teslas. It does recline the backseats. It’s also roomier overall then the m3/mY and they clearly put some soundproof material to limit road noise. I could nitpick about little things on all 3 models but there’s plenty on the reddits.

And since you mentioned UI, I personally prefer the the teslas because it’s adapted from Apple.

3 Likes

You’d have to drive both but the projected range on Tesla (the one you see on your screen) is nowhere near REALIZED. I’d cut it by 30% but once again based on driving habits.

My m3P got me around 200 miles and it’s rated at 300. Similar reduction with m3LR and mY LR.

The i5 gets me around 225 and it’s full range is around 275.

2 Likes

For most commuters, range isn’t a big deal.

Looking at our driving habits, we could probably get away with a 100 mile battery.

And if you need more than that… consider a PHEV, an ICE as your road trip vehicle or like someone on another forum said, just rent a car for those longer drives.

I am not necessarily saying prices will crash below MSRP but I don’t think $10k markups are going to last without the credit.

I don’t think right now mark ups tight to Fed rebate. At this people everyone running scared of gas prices to pay whatever for hybrids/electric.

Before $5 gas, it was somewhat dependant on that rebate. But I’m not so sure now. Consumer will keep buying then with markup even without Rebate. But I’d love to see me prooved wrong

2 Likes

My 2 cents.

1. Range anxiety is a big deal for many first time EV buyers. 100 just doesn’t cut it for them. Especially if they’ve read about weather etc cutting into range.

2. After a while you find yourself driving electric much further than you anticipated.

my 2c of driving Evs for 4 months (42kwh -160m range and 62kwh - 230m range)

I have managed at least twice to get 42kwh Leaf down to 5 miles left on the change, and once to the point, the dashboard could not even show how much range was left. A bit of a funny feeling but not any different from the ICE with 5 miles left of gas trying to get to gas stations.

At least where I’m at in Northeast, there are plenty of chargers around, including fast chargers and I just change to sometimes charge overnight a few times a week.

But overall with 160m range its not a big deal.

If I had 100 miles of range - I think that would be a slight issue. Would be charging every single night. If that car is a $100m - you can deal w that. at $500 - no thank you.

1 Like

98kwh battery = 270mi range :frowning: (looking at your Ford)

1 Like

If range is really a big deal for an EV buyer, they shouldn’t be buying an EV. Need to think about your driving habits and if an EV would fit.

We rarely drive more than 25 miles in a day… especially with remote work. If we go to LA or even farther, San Diego, we take the ICE… or the Y and supercharge. And cars like the Ioniq 5 can get you to 80% in about 20 minutes.

I used to think PHEVs were the perfect compromise, mostly EV driving locally and then ICE/Hybrid for longer trips but after 4 years of owning one and rarely using gas… decided that a full EV, even with lower range worked better for me. Less maintenance, no oil changes… and in SoCal… don’t have to worry about those Cat-snatchers.

That’s where I think a really cheap EV with 100mi range could work for many people who only need a local commuter and want something sub $25k… which a non-plus Leaf with Fed credit currently fulfills.

1 Like

This was my Fiat 500e, 75miles and cheap as heck.
My friend got a Kia Soul for $130/month as well, and that was incredible.

Mazda has a compliance CX-30, but it’s way too expensive for a 100mile car.

2 Likes

You need to contact all of the brokers and dealers for those brands, tell them what you’re looking for and if anybody backs out of their msrp deal you’ll slide in and buy it same day.

I’ve seen a few IONIC5 at msrp but EV6 at least 1500 over, maybe more. Mach e, I have no idea since I don’t pay attention to them.

I can tell you that no hyundai dealer in ca agreed to msrp in state of California in the last 4 months I tried

1 Like

There have been some. You have to dig and you have to be vigilant.

I posted this back in May $100 if anyone can find me any dealer who would do it.

yes Valencia and Dublin agree to MSRP but they keep claiming they dont have any new unspoken vehicles since April

MRSP deals after 1-2 months (arrival of presold cars) will be possible without the tax deduction support.

You’ll need to pay a broker $500-$700 to find you one.

If you commit to a dealer, put a deposit down, wait your turn, you’ll eventually get one. Especially if you have a good rapport and tell the dealer you’ll be in within a few hours to complete the deal when one becomes available.

Valencia told me 6k ADM on an EV6, Dublin said MSRP but not stock not reserved.