Jeep Gladiator Lease Contract Review

There’s way too much confirmation bias from the OP in this thread, reasoning with him is impossible.

Every single data point is molded to fit a predetermined decision, instead of the other way around. Exhibit A: “purchasing will tie up my cash reserves.”

NTM all the contradictory statements, like driving a decades-old vehicle was fine for his trade all this time but suddenly he needs a top trim brand new vehicle every 2-3 years, and the way to achieve that goal is to lease for 48m/15k and drive 24,000 miles outside of warranty.

Hard to take all these contradictions seriously so maybe he’s a troll intent on wasting our time. Either way I’m out.

Absolutely not. There is no clause in your contract that allows you to sell to a 3rd party dealer. It is at the bank’s discretion if is a mutually agreeable option or not. Your disposition options that you’re contractually entitled to are to purchase it yourself or turn it in at the end.

This is the important part. If you want to lease it, by all means, knock yourself out. Just be sure that you’re making an informed decision and understand that by doing a 48 month lease on this particular vehicle, you’re effectively removing nearly all the actual benefits of leasing. If the cost/benefit analysis still works out for you, great, but make sure it actually does.

1 Like

Soft top seems like an odd fit for a work truck. Lack of any secure area to lock things in the vehicle would concern me. It’s also going to be a lot louder than a hard top.

And not to mention, haven’t folks had a ton of issues with Ecodiesel Gladiators?

I’ve got that covered (pun intended.)

Actually the other gentleman has done quite well, though he did make the effort, which is what I thought this forum was for…

As stated before, I’m new to the concept of leasing. Time is of the essence so I came to this forum to glean from the wisdom of folks such as yourself. Admittedly I think I’m a smart guy and at first glance the lease looks far more attractive than a purchase. I’m thankful to those here helping me fill in the gaps.

This can seem contradictory at first glance.
I have a majority of repeat customer base and I’ve rested on my lees because of it. Just like ones wife, internally I consider my truck as when I first got it; new. The change in customer’s (new and old) disposition had been gradual and hasn’t become apparent until recently. Personally I would be content to put a couple thousand into the old girl and keep driving her, but the customers always right, lol.

You don’t believe that a bit even as you typed it.
I’m even thankful for your input here.
Any man who doesn’t think he has a little self contradiction, non-conscious or otherwise, isn’t very self aware.
I’m thankful for the posters who helped bring some of them to light.

Thanks for the heads up.
I’ve done long term ownership.
I’m going to do a lease.
Maybe the Goldilocks proposition is short term ownership. We’ll see.

Work and play.
Tools in a decked system with a locked tailgate are as secure as it gets. I don’t live or work in chronic crime areas. The soft top is a bit of a gamble but if it doesn’t work I’ll get a hard top.

I wouldn’t say that. I’m on a large, popular Gladiator forum and there are some who have issues and the vast majority who don’t.

When this thread popped up, my curiosity was piqued, so I spent a few hours digging into this model. TL/DR This model simply has too many compromises, and to build it into something that resembles what you really want, requires so many upcharges that the value proposition is quickly overcome, especially so on the Eco diesel model tranny combo. These engines are not long-term reliable (which is THE the reason to go diesel!) and they cannot get near a hybrid/EV truck for mileage. At the end, it simply wasn’t a value, too compromised for any particular purpose. Indeed, my Wrangler with hard top secures tools, and the PHEV is a hit with my clientele. A Glad would need to essentially be the stripped base with a nice locking steel cover (about 2-3K) for security, but it would be doable. Again, another compromise. Look up youtube on Ecodiesel failures before committing. I decided to wait for Nissan Frontier redux, as well as a deposit on the Ford Lightning.

When you figure in the due at signing money doesn’t this work out to almost $700/mo?

Seems fairly expensive.

The play for one of these seems like buy it, keep it for 2 years, and sell it

I’m seeing below msrp on these and two years with 25k miles are bringing in good money used

Your cost for the two years would be a lot less than the lease even with full sales tax

The Wrangler hybrid is a nice truck and came with a great incentive.

After Jeep teased a Gladiator hybrid I waited for an announcement that never came. I felt if I didn’t get one now prices were going up.

My tools will be plenty secure in a decked box with a locking tailgate. Initially I wanted a hard top but I will be going topless a lot and the freedom panels really get in the way and can become a pia. Soft top? 2 latches, throw it over and a little Velcro and done. Or pull the side and rear soft panels off, or take it all off in a few minutes. I rented a Wrangler for a long weekend trip with the hard top. Nice but I prefer the other.

The diesel option is very popular and of course there are a few bad ones and they get attention. The vast majority of diesel owners I would say are very happy.
I’m very happy with the prospect of getting 24 combined as it is than double my current truck and almost double the torque of the gas model and if you were going auto anyway the diesel almost pays for itself in some locations.

I was initially going to order a modest diesel Sport that would’ve been about 400+ but Jeep stopped taking orders for them so I decided to go a little wild on the flagship trim, heavily loaded. Could be a little mid life crisis acting up too, lol.
Yes the Rubicon base is expensive. Yes it shouldn’t be 17000 extra to get a very nicely appointed Gladiator, but it’s a Jeep and a truck and I’m very happy with my choice and my deal as I see many others are also.

You would have loved the Sky One Touch top…zero work. No doubt it is a good deal, but I think a bad value. You are effectively paying double what my One Pay would have been, had CCAP allowed Single Pay for the bay area. Regardless, post pics and enjoy!

edit: the Diamond Back Cover was my choice, but it adds a ton of cost.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y866ZtFc5uk

Man I bet your farts smell terrific!

Toodles!

Well, it’s true I had fish for dindin.

LEASE VS BUY after 48mo
59392 INVOICE
-6%. -7%. DISCOUNT
1000 2000 MFR INCENTIVES
565 DLR, REG FEES
55394 53800 PRICE
57297 W TAX
4914 TOT INT 72M @ 3%
614 795 MONTHLY PMT
29475 43160 TOTAL PD 48 MO
33417 RV 48MO
16100 LOAN PAYOFF48MO

43160 PAID OVER 48MO
16100 PAYOFF @48MO
59260 TOTAL PAID TO OWN 48MO
33417 EST VEH VALUE
25843 NET USAGE PURCHASE
29870 NET USAGE LEASE + DISP FEE

4027 NET GAIN OVER LEASE 48M
4027 / 48 is an $84 mo surcharge
which gives me an effective
“break even” payment of $698mo

Not bad yet there are variables on both sides:
Over mileage
In 4 years what will be the nature of FF vehicles as electrics are being pushed and usage possibly gets overtaxed?
If I am to resale w/o 3rd party I’m further handicapped by $2100 sales tax which makes purchase a $6200 net gain however speculative.

I see your point and thank you for bringing it up though I’m not sure why this question wasn’t posed by members when I initially made a post concerning leasing this vehicle.

I did sign the lease and gave 1st payment yet haven’t taken delivery.
Is it too late to change?

It was brought up:

It just wasn’t belabored.

It was brought up repeatedly in this thread.

Not in my previous posts regarding this vehicle and leasing it.

Your previous posts prior to this thread were prior to the big push of companies shutting down 3rd party buy outs, which changes the risk posture a lot, and were all very non-specific regarding the numbers. There are lots of things that are situational dependent. In this case, more details are present so more parties were vocal. This is also a situation where the math seemed to lean much further to one side, so it gets picked up on my a lot more people than if it’s a close call.

That 20K in equity is an interesting number because it’s almost exactly the difference between lease and loan payments over 48 mo.

As I see it, and maybe I’m missing something, I pay that 438 difference to the bank and at the end of 48mo, I can realize it as equity in a depreciating asset, and all I’m getting back is the extra that I put into it.

Is this not a zero sum gain?

The math has been the same the whole time.

None of the “trusted hackers” brought it up back when I was making the original inquiry with all of the numbers.

When you brought it up before, there weren’t hard numbers to actually compare, so the math was never flushed out.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter. The due dillegence is your responsibility, not ours. We are here to help and give as much guidance as we can, but comparing your different options fiscally is on you to do.

You appear a bit confused.
Pointing out your inconsistency is not deferring my responsibility.

There’s no inconsistency. When actual numbers were given and the details of the lease you were pursuing came to light, you were told immediately purchasing was probably a better option by multiple people.

Your complaint here seems to be that a bunch of strangers on the internet taking their time to help you didn’t walk you through enough hypotheticals ahead of time.

It’s not our responsibility to walk you through every what if.