Jalopnik article says don’t pay $50k for a Frontier

That’s probably a drop in the bucket compared to price and volume of high end full-size trucks.

1 Like

Absurd article. 24 Frontiers are selling for 8% off and leftover 23 Frontiers are selling for 13% off plus $2K incentives to lease. You can buyout a leased 23 Pro-4x for basically MMR. Nissan dealers by me are so slow they spend all day texting with me.

6 Likes

That’s their business model like CJDR. Overpriced msrps and huge discounts to make the customer think they’re getting a deal. It works…consumers love being manipulated. CJDR msrps are up something like 50% since Covid. Insane. Can’t wait to see the negative equities on people looking for cars in the next year, gonna be brutal. 130k for a wagoneer that’s worth 70 now…

5 Likes

really? how many TFS pickup truck deals have you done?

The Toyota business model in general isn’t giving large discounts. My pricing is an exception not the norm. Go to any CJDR dealer and you’re at a minimum 10% discount before you negotiate. Not sure your point here…Toyota dealers aren’t even allowed to advertise under invoice

I sell trucks bc my discount is higher than any dealer in the country. Very simple.

3 Likes

There is some validity to your point on MSRP appreciation, however, have gotten 4 jeeps in last 2 years and believe me there is no 10% before you even negotiate unless you mean rebates which most are tied to govt rebates for 4xe versions.

1 Like

Wranglers are a bit different as they actually hold value. I was just making a general statement about the brand. But pretty sure they’re stilll overpriced by at least 10%, they can do that with the tax credits. Take away that tax credit and I guarantee pricing drops to where it should be. Tax credits go right into the manufacturers pocket

I think Toyota has overpriced the new Tacoma and I expect to start seeing huge discounts by summer on those as well. They released it a year too late to charge what they are now. Last year it would have worked

5 Likes

Uh oh. Don’t call it a “tax credit” (even though that’s exactly what it is) because our two or three members of the Tax Credit Police will be on you and looking for an arrest.

2 Likes

American trucks (especially ram formerly dodge) have always been about big msrps and big discounts.

Since the mid 2000’s they have had ads for 10,000 in rebates/discounts

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s a new business model. Just pointing it out. Obviously it works so not knocking that either. But if they were true discounts the lease prices would reflect that, instead they’re just selling them at true market value and residuals also reflect that…

I’ve had people go with ram over tundra just for the discount. I couldn’t match the 13k off so they went with the ram. In the long run the tundra prob would be the better value with the smaller discount as rams tend to lose 50% value in 3-4 years historically, tundra maybe 30%.

realistically you sell trucks b/c your dealer is signed up with ally and USbank. We have the same truck discounts. i have sold maybe 2 tundras in my life. the captive lender programs are awful.

Haven’t leased many trucks with ally or usbank in 2 years unless buyer wasn’t approved for Tfs. Deals with those banks went away during Covid. It’s all TFS now. I sell trucks bc price matters to buyers, and mine is the lowest. Again very simple

50/50 buy to lease now as well so many aren’t leasing anyway like before. Since rates are starting to be subvented I expect that to change this year.

2 Likes

#notaTundracustomer

1 Like

But that can’t be true because he said he has the same discounts as you.

2 Likes

Well if they’d bring back the 99% 18-month residuals they’d have no problem clearing out those Frontiers at MSRP to LHers. :slight_smile:

How does that work? I assume you ground the lease with a dealer, they are able to buy it from NMAC at MMR, and then they turn around and sell it to you with minimal markup because they don’t want it on their lot?

1 Like

If you lease a 23 Frontier Pro-4X with a 13% discount and $2K in incentives, your cap cost reduction is right around $36K which should be close to your purchase option price. Here is the current MMR, lots of action on these with all the off-lease inventory.

1 Like

Ah I see. I thought you were saying people were buying out their leases from the 99% residual era at MMR instead of the insane residual.

Was anyone who got one of the Frontier One-pays able to get Nissan to extend their lease? I was told it’s a no-go for OnePay lessees but maybe I just need to keep calling and get someone to say yes.

I haven’t seen any confirmed reports of a one-pay extension. A couple of reports of NMAC reps saying it’s possible but I think those were cases where the NMAC rep didn’t catch on to the one-pay aspect.