Issue with my lease?

Next time, see if you can knock $100 off the trucoat:grin:

Seriously, though, you need to just chalk it up and move onā€¦I got hosed on a E350 lease in 2007ā€¦got upset, called dealership, wrote letters. No compensation, but I learned A LOT about leasing, and have saved much more than I lost in that deal over the years.

As JG once said: ā€œNothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.ā€ A line written about a band manager who stole all their money.

I think you learned more about leasing in the last 24 hours on leasehackr than during your five previous leases lol

2 Likes

It seems like you already got a bit of a resolution but I wish you hadnā€™t signed a new contract. In cases like these there is always a ā€œhail maryā€ play to try, which in you case may have (and may possibly still) worked. If you are within 24 to 48 hours of signing a contract, call the lender and tell them that you purchased a new car and realized that the dealership used fraudulent and deceptive practices in executing the contract (which they did). Tell them that you intend to return the car and you DO NOT PLAN TO INSURE THE VEHICLE. They lender will not fund the contract in this case and the dealer will not get paid (at least until it is resolved). Mention to the lender that the dealer did a classic payment packing situation and did not properly disclose the cost of the add-ons and never disclosed the selling price of the vehicle (i.e. you thought the price was being discounted - because you did). Use the term ā€œbad faith in negotiationsā€ itā€™s illegal (negotiating in bad faith). The bank may say it is between you and the dealer but if it is a captive lender they will certainly reach out to the dealership to figure out what happened and hold funding at least for that time. At that point the dealer has a choice of slamming you in the car and pissing off the lender over a $59K loan or fixing it to keep the lender (to whom they send millions of dollars worth of contracts) happy. That is, it is likely not worth it to the dealer to get the bank involved in having a car that will not be insured out on the streets over the several thousand dollar they made.

Keep in mind that this has to be done quickly, before the contract is funded, which in many cases takes at least 3 business days or so. Good luck.

2 Likes

This is playing hardball and I like it. I will file this one away just incase I ever sign a bad lease!

OP pull this one out now if you want to unravel this deal and walk away from a 3 year bad decisionā€¦

Chances of phantom getting a bad lease are lower than Trump being a Russian spy lol

Probably too late to argue bad faith and deceptive practices now that the OP has re-negotiated to something he found acceptable

Thanks. What else do you think I missed? (other than I outlined above)

Yep, South Florida :laughing:

Not ā€œin addition toā€ā€¦IMO you have learned almost nothing from the experience and in fact have ā€œlearnedā€ mostly the wrong things. Sorry to tell it like it is, but someone should, for your own future good.

There is nothing inherently wrong in applying your trade equity into a lease if your MF is high or saying you want to lease when negotiating a price. Where you went wrong is:

(1) you didnā€™t do the math. You didnā€™t know where your equity was going. Judging from your initial mistakes, itā€™s likely you didnā€™t extract the full equity (tradein value could have been higher). And of course, the obvious one, you negotiate the price and full lease terms before you negotiate your tradein. If you needed help with the leasing calculation, there is help online. 0 excuse for not googling this stuff beforehand. What made you google this site after the fact and not before?

(1B) You should have known before you set foot in the Finance office what your monthly would be, what the drive-off amount would be. And whether you wanted any of the addons like Audicare or not. There is 0 excuse for not knowing these things beforehand.

(2) You clearly did not read any of the things you were signing. And how is that still not a lesson you learned after all this? How did you not see massive additions like the wheel/tire package? How could you not tell where exactly all your equity was going? How does the CCR not add up to the 2500 down and all your equity and rebate? Not sure if I am recalling someone elseā€™s post or if you edited your OP, but regardless being tired is not an excuse for just signing willy nilly. Once you sign something, 99.99% of the time there is no going back.

(3) We never focus on MSRP when negotiating ā€“ if you meant to say selling price, well (A) you need to know your terminology; and (B) of course we need to focus on selling price. Desired selling price + 0 undesired addons = right cap cost.

This is terrible advice IMO. For starters, it wasnā€™t a waste of time. 2 hours spent saved him $3,000. Maybe itā€™s just me, but earning $1,500/hour seems like a pretty good use of time.

Second, try to get even before getting mad. i.e. get some of your money back and try to rectify the situation before thinking about revenge. Getting mad and trying to get revenge doesnā€™t save you any money. $0 literally. It also increases the stress in your life thinking about how you ā€˜paid them backā€™ (when in reality you didnā€™t) and recounting to everyone this miserable episode how you got screwed and why they should avoid this dealership. A constructive attempt is always better for your wallet and your peace of mind.

Third, if you couldnā€™t make a constructive attempt work, get back in a mature and effective way. No one feels ā€˜painā€™ if they canā€™tā€¦ feel it. You think the GM or management will ever know you convinced a handful of people to avoid servicing at or buying from their dealership? Pffft. To get noticed you have to get noticed. Even if a amicable resolution couldnā€™t be reached, emails to the GM followed by reviews left on every single review site and Audi forum known to mankind would have been better revenge than the petty payback of getting your family to service their cars elsewhere.

You are entitled to your opinion. I donā€™t go back and re-visit contracts I sign until they expire. If I sign a bad deal, thatā€™s on me. You wonā€™t ever see me go crawling into a dealership begging to re-do a deal - Iā€™ll check the paperwork and get it right. My view of the world. Itā€™s the nature of buying a car - dealers play tricks, buyers should expect them. My personal pride would not have allowed me to walk in and ask for a re-do.

It is re-trading and at least in my business itā€™s frowned upon. One thing to know though, Iā€™m a real prideful sob, not everyone in this world cares about their reputation, but I do.

Just like the first wife of Trump said (and actually did):

OP, not trying to disparage your actions. You deserved better from a dealer that you purchased 5 vehicles from. You obviously got a good result considering the circumstances. My personal views would have led me to eat the higher payment and move on with my life, but they are purely personal views. Unlike @max_g, I understand that a forum will be filled with different viewpoints driven by different circumstances. I would never have the audacity to call any advice ā€œterribleā€ when reasonable minds could disagree. Congratulations on a good outcome and enjoy the car. I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice, whether harsh or not.

Iā€™m not blaming anyone for my mistake. This was all on me. Except for the finance guy for being deceptive and inserting something in the contract that was not what I agreed with him on verbally multiple times. It was also my error not to verify that in the contract.

As I said, Iā€™ve always either paid full cash or financed my cars. This was my first lease and I failed to do proper research on how leases worked before going in to do a deal.

Iā€™m happy the GM was able to re-do the deal. Going forward, in 3 years, I will learn from my mistakes and work on getting a great deal like many of you have. Will enjoy the car in the meantime!

2 Likes

I look forward to giving you ā€œterribleā€ advice for years to come.

I like that quote, ā€œDonā€™t get mad, get everything.ā€ Itā€™s a great iteration of the more popular ā€œDonā€™t get mad, get even.ā€

ā€œDonā€™t get mad, get everythingā€ is what Ivana Trump said during her divorce when she found out he was cheating on her with Marla.
Sorry for off-topic

1 Like

At what dealership in South Florida did you lease this vehicle?

At Dewey, Cheatem and Howe family of dealerships it seems :slight_smile: