Issue with my lease?

He made a killing on that extra care and wheels package.

Youā€™re right and thatā€™s why he seemed to be so evasive. I was told verbally, multiple times, that they were going to waive the extra care and that the wheels package was only $650. However it looks as if itā€™s fully added into the Gross Capitalized Cost based off the breakdown and itemization page. This is adding an additional $2,000 that Iā€™m paying for for the term of the lease which adds up to around $55/monthā€¦unless my math is wrong

JD, my recommendation is to service your car elsewhere and make them feel a little pain. Dealing with dealership management will likely get you nowhere and just frustrate you more. Donā€™t waste your time, enjoy the car, never do business with them again, and make sure your friends and family never do business with them again. You can inflict a lot more pain on them than the extra couple thousand they got out of your deal.

You can cancel that and get a check for $2K. It wonā€™t lower your payment, but you get something back. I think you can buy wheel protection somewhere else (NTB?), if you need it.

This is why I only do no cash due at signing leases. I have them give me a cash check for my trade-in if applicable. In this case your monthly payment with no cash due at signing would have been around $1,000/mo.

That still does not protect you from potentially being screwed. His trade-in down payment is not really an issue here.

I also recommend cancelling the wheel protection and audi care. That will give you at least 2-3k back.

It does allow you better compare apples to apples. If I get quotes on 3 complete different vehicles itā€™s easy to compare with no variation in cash due at signing, trade-in, etc. etc.

But you always get selling price quotes without taking trade-in into equation, no? Then you can add/not add your expected trade-in.

We are getting off topic now. I agree with @Ursus that that isnā€™t the main issue here.

If we want to discuss best practices, letā€™s critique the whole idea of trading in. Someplace else.

If he can get a refund for the tire care that would be great. Audi Care influences the residual by 1% so not sure how that will work. Perhaps lease payment will automatically be re-calculated.

The good thing is that his paperwork most likely has not been sent to Audi yet. I think he needs to have his request in writing and mailed certified with emailed PDF to the dealer GM.

UPDATE: Spent 2 hours at the dealership. Asked to the general manager who took me to the finance guyā€™s office and I made my case. The manager was very understanding and kept going back and forth with the finance guy and wasnā€™t understanding some of it. He acknowledged the mistake right away about charging me for Audi Care. I had to present my calculations numerous times, even after they took off the Audi Care (which they credited to me for free in the deal) and the wheel & tire package. They kept coming back at only $544 which is barely anything off $569 (my original monthly cost).

I kept saying something isnā€™t right and walked them through the formula I found on here.

Eventually at the end the manager gave in and had the finance guy (much to his behest) switch some numbers around and changed my monthly payment to $460. I got rid of the wheel/tire protection but still have the Audi Care. The finance guy seemed pissed but wasnā€™t trying to show it. He kept asking the GM, ā€œare you sure???ā€ as if his numbers were wrong.

I feel a bit better. I still realize I overpaid even with these adjustments of saving $3,000 on the lease term from my original deal. I learned a valuable lesson about leasing going forward.

1. Donā€™t apply trade in equity to a lease
  2. Negotiate the car price before saying you want to lease
  3. Focus on the cap cost, not MSRP when negotiating
5 Likes

So happy you got it fixed. I know that would have eaten at you the whole time you had the car, and itā€™s much better to enjoy that beautiful machine while you have it :slight_smile:

Not as much as you did, but thatā€™s OK if you have $1-2K equity and want to do it. Just move it form #1 to #3 on your list. Glad you were able to get it fixed somewhat.

Wow. Great result! Name of dealer? Impressed by GMā€™s response.

Good job sticking to your guns and saving yourself $3,000.

TBH not sure you learned the right lessons, though.

Hopefully, you were calm ā€¦ pretty sure lots of tension in the room. But you have done 5 cars with them, you would think they would take care of you.

Dealerships have 0 memory with some exceptions.

I am really impressed that you got this resolved, nice work. The games dealers play are tough to win at, but Iā€™d say that you did a great job considering.

Where are you located? (just waiting for you to say south floridaā€¦)