Is it a good time to get a lease? NO! When will it get better? Nobody knows

Yes Korean units are in better supply, but nowhere near where they’d like to be.

2 Likes

Don’t forget - your order may come with options missing (even if you had it on the order). The factory could face supply chain issues and just give you a credit for that option being removed.

Also, another poster just put up a topic where the dealer reneged on his custom order deal and raised the price. This is before the car even arrived. YMMV

I’d wait it out if possible

I was looking for C43 amg 2021 because they change engines. I was thinking about 10% off but it’s impossible one of them could give me about 1k off it’s pretty horrible and after talk with a few of them one told me there is no more deals for that car and it’s true. For lease 36/10 almost 1k monthly lol

1 Like

Thankfully the dealer I’ve found rests on its reputation, so I would be incredibly surprised if they pulled out of a deal like that. Also there aren’t a lot of customers for an i3 BEV.

How long should I wait for the market to normalize? I could try extending my lease one more month but that would be it unless I have an order or a deposit in place. Otherwise I may switch brands, although I do like BMW and what they’ve been doing with electric vehicles.

Options are:

1. Take it at their new price
  2. Leave it
1 Like

All sales people know that FOMO sells. I am not being critical here, because I can be similar in many ways, but you are undoubtedly giving of pheromones at this point, and they can smell it through their email and texts.

They are all suffering from FOMO, too. Fear of missing out on gross per unit, now that they are unsure how steady their supply might be.

As far as “how long…?”

I have been watching auto supply chain reports since last year, and posting about shortages here since January 8th. It took most people 5 months to really to start talking about their impact.

Now that it’s here, how long will it last? 60-90 days after supply returns to normal. When will that be?

What was the title of the thread you originally posted the question to. When will it end? Nobody knows.

If you want more than that, catch up on the past six months of reading. It can be a specific issue for a specific brand or model.

I’m sorry this disrupted your ordering plans, but the sooner you adjust to the reality, the sooner you can get whatever deal is possible now. Or sit it out until it returns to normal.

6 Likes

Thankfully I am happy that I have a deal negotiated that is under invoice. Once I have an allocation and assuming the i3 isn’t being discontinued (this is the only reason I’m even doing this right now, otherwise I planned on waiting until last minute if I’m being honest) I’ll be satisfied.

I don’t mind paying $1500-$2500 more than usual for a factory build, but MSRP on an in-stock car wouldn’t even be a consideration.

1 Like

I could not agree with you more. As I keep saying, I’m doing everything possible not to transact right now because it’s crazy. This will subside, but nobody knows when. I’m glad you figured something out, and no doubt many of those cars will be sitting there in 3 months.

But until there are a couple months where inventory doesn’t sell because it’s overpriced, Bluto is going to hold as much gross as posssible.

2 Likes

how long does it take to catch 2 fish?

I’m probably the biggest fan of the i3 on the East Coast, and I wouldn’t entertain a single penny over invoice even if it was the last i3 on the market. Even 7-8% off MSRP on a car lacking options would be slightly painful.

Assuming BMW does discontinue it for the North American market (which would be an incredibly sad day) I have other alternatives, such as using a broker on here to get a Kona EV Ultimate for less than an i3. The EPA range on the Kona is 258 miles vs 153 miles on the i3, and even the 0-60 time is quicker.

I’m willing to put up with that since I’m in a niche that enjoys the design and driving dynamics of the i3, but I’m not willing to overpay for it. Maybe somebody else is (the dealer is clearly counting on available rebates to persuade somebody to pay MSRP) and in that case after exhausting other options to get one I’ll just buy/lease a different EV with superior range and performance.

I wasn’t sure whether or not to share this one easy trick to gauge market conditions, but I know there are hackrs out there who really need this.

The simplest way to gauge how the new car market is doing is…

by looking at how far over or under MSRP Genesis cars are selling.

• 20% under MSRP = regular market conditions, peak value’
  • At MSRP = general vehicle shortage
  • Over MSRP = everything shortage, inflation rampant, brace your buttcheeks ← WE ARE HERE
4 Likes

2 weeks ago personally saw markup on Kia Carnival and Telluride is $10k yes on a new unit. If they have a CPO telluride, prepare to pay $3k to $5k.

1 Like

Here is the complete list valid reasons to get a new car, during Summer 2021:

1. hello hackrs: we are a one-car family, unfortunately I totaled it yesterday, an hour before I learned we were expecting — and quadruplets arrived. Which mini van is my best shot in this market?
10 Likes

It’s a difficult time to be a foreigner in this country. It’s already more expensive to lease because of shorter credit history/lower credit score and now this. There are some “ok” deals on basic cars but other than that most deals seem to be out of reach.

I think it was harder two or three years ago but thats different discussion.

If you have the “Need”, then better to take the OK deals on basic cars for survival. But if it is a “Want”, then play smart and join the waiting club.

2 Likes

Well not to derail the thread too much, but I’d say it has been pretty damn difficult during covid. Have not seen my family and friends for over 1.5 years now because haven’t been able to travel abroad as I wouldn’t be able to get back in because of the travel restrictions. Having your life & job here is not a good enough reason to get an exception. Don’t know when I can go either since all the visa services are closed down as well.

Yeah, OK deals still exist, need to take one of those probably right now.

1 Like

When dealers start offering gift card for test drives, it will be a good time to lease, but that only happens on recessionary times.

2 Likes

This is such a fascinating and informative thread. I’ve been shopping for my “drean car” which happens to be an Audi S5 Sportback. I swear, at this point I probably know more about that car than someone who sells it for a living.

We are a 1 car family (Q7) splitting time between NYC and the east end of Long Island. By no means do I need a S5 but an upcoming professional milestone will allow me to finally take the plunge. Reading this thread makes me feel like I’m the stupidest person on LH if I go through with it at this point in time. Don’t know whether to laugh or cry since it’s all I’ve been able to think about the last 3 months

1 Like

Well to brighten you up a bit, consider yourself very blessed that you just posted here now and NOT after signing a deal and asking how you did ! :grinning:

2 Likes

No clue where you are from, but chances are the prices were much higher there without any shortages.

Sometimes we forget how great we have it here, even with shortages.

This all being said, I understand your frustration. Shopping for a car right now is not fun.

2 Likes