Is BMW no longer offering AutoVIN inspections?

I called BMWFS twice to schedule a third party (AutoVIN) inspection for my upcoming lease return. Both agents on the phone claimed that they don’t offer third party lease end inspections when the car is originally leased from a BMW dealer who does lease end inspections themselves.

Am I missing something or is there some magic phrase that I need to say to get this inspection scheduled?

maybe don’t say “third party”?

https://www.bmwusa.com/return-vehicle.html

I asked for “AutoVIN” inspection. They said that’s third-party inspection and it is not offered in my case because the original dealer I leased from does lease end inspections themselves.

I even asked what happens if I decide to return it elsewhere and they said they would need to contact that BMW dealer and go from there…

Is it a BMWNA-owned store like BMW of Manhattan? Or an independent franchise like the rest?

We just returned our 2020 Acura MDX. When I went online to schedule a lease end inspection, it told me I didn’t need one. Unless you have some questionable damage that you think that you would be charged for, I don’t think lease end inspections are really necessary or helpful.

Update: Turns out a third BMWFS agent was able to schedule an inspection just fine. Not sure why the first two couldn’t do it.

4 Likes

:man_facepalming:

There have been countless examples of folks on here that don’t get their inspection done only to later get hit with a huge bill after turn in. At that point you have little recourse.

If you’re turning a lease in, always, always schedule the 3rd party inspection. There’s no reason not to do it.

3 Likes

Honda Finance is much more forgiving, especially with loyalty.

2 Likes

It was closing time and everyone wanted to go to the bar and hang out?

Hey how quickly were they able to schedule it for you? Meaning how far out?

An old data point, but circa 5 years ago when I went to return a car to BMW of Manhattan (leased from and serviced there FWIW), they wouldn’t take it back without an AutoVIN inspection and BMWFS stood behind them on that policy even though neither could point to a term in the lease that expressly required it. BMWFS extended my lease for a short time at no charge to allow me to get the inspection done. I undoubtedly should have gotten the inspection done without being forced to as confirmed by some of the bad experiences that came from not doing so shared here.

2 Likes

Is there benefit to having AutoVIN do the inspection compared to the BMW dealer? The BMW website doesn’t even mention AutoVIN being an option and instead tells you to schedule with the dealer.

The first available appointment for me was 5 days out but I am guessing that it depends on your region.

For starters the AutoVIN inspector will meet you at your home or office to do the inspection.

You can schedule the AutoVIN inspection anytime within the last 1-2 months of your lease, giving you advance notice on any damage charges (and time to remedy anything yourself, should you wish).

The AutoVIN inspections are very fair, IME, they are not out to nickel and dime you. Just the opposite, I’ve had scratches and tire rash etc. that I figued would be chargeable but they deemed it normal wear and tear, no charge.

In contrast if you leave it up to the dealer, they will typically only do the final inspection after you turn the lease in and drop your car off. So you get a bill weeks later after the car is long gone and have little recourse if anything looks off.

Also the dealer is not in the business of doing lease end inspections. By all accounts on here the dealer inspections are the ones most likely to nickel and dime you for everything. Or rather than a flat $250 charge for damage to a bumper from AutoVIN, you’re charged $1000 because the dealer’s body shop guy looked at it and said that’s what it would cost to fix.

2 Likes

BMWFS told me this AM that AutoVIN inspections are only done for NY residents or if there is “damage to the vehicle.” I used AutoVIN with my last Audi turn in and it was the most convenient experience. Maybe the 3rd call is the charm

Yeah something is definitely up with BMWFS and AutoVIN inspections. The agents seemed extremely reluctant to set up the inspections and came up with any excuse they can.

Try again and let us know.

Ive never had an autovin pre lease return inspection on any of my bmws. In south Florida my local dealership does the pre lease inspection and the final inspection when you return your bmw. They do it on the spot and the their say is final so when you leave there are no surprises.

If that was a verbal statement, that’s what it is worth…nothing.

That’s the best part. It is in writing, they give you a lease return statement outlining mileage with overage fees, if any. If there were charges there are sections for damage to panels, tires, missing keys, etc, disposition fee. The last car I returned even had the amount of msds that would be refunded to me.