Is BMW no longer offering AutoVIN inspections?

That sounds like a true inspection. Versus my Kia grounding statement which had an odometer and 2 signature lines.

I called bmwfs today and scheduled an autovin inspection for Monday in California. Just asked for it and got it, no questions asked.

1 Like

I was asked to bring in my 530i for a lease end inspection by the leasing dealer in November. They looked at it for maybe 10-15 minutes and said it was fine to return when my lease was up at year end (I was way under miles). He said they would prefer I buy it out at lease end since they had enough inventory. I asked if it could be returned to another BMW dealer and he said yes. Nothing was in writing, I asked and he said they just put the inspection in their record. I wound up leasing another 5 series from another dealer. I asked if they wanted me to return my previous lease to them. I still had a few weeks left on the lease (unfortunately had to keep it until I had the windshield replaced which got cracked about two weeks before the lease was up). This dealer asked what was my payoff (it was $33K before taxes) and he said they would take it. They wound up putting it up for about $36K and it apparently went fairly quickly since it was only up a few days. The new windshield was from Safelite and it was OEM, so no problems there.

So did you really return the lease or did the dealer just roll the negative equity over to your new lease? Or heck maybe you had positive equity that you gave to the dealer…did you shop the car at that time to get a real value on it?

There was no equity either way. The Carvana/Carmax quotes were less than my payoff and I just returned it at lease end. No way I could sell the car privately for what the dealer got for it or more than my payoff. They likely didn’t make a whole lot on the return after a detail and giving it a CPO designation.

Well their buyout is different than your buyout so they most likely did make money.

1 Like

Since on the topic I got same answer from Ally for returning a toyota highlander. Told me to simply go to the dealer.

Ally forces you to roll the dice.

That is no fun. Trying to get a family member to get the good deals on QX60s but he will go with Highlander again.

Is it really true the BMW dealer’s buyout is lower than the vehicle owner’s buyout? If this is universally true, then the best deal if you want to buy your car at the end of the lease is to work a deal with the BMW dealer to return it, then buy it back CPO.

Yes, is it 100% on all models? No

BMW checks previous / current ownership of a car bought for under RV, so if a Dealer tries that, he’s going to get a spanking.