Interesting Global statistics

86.00/hr doesn’t sound all that great if you’re dead or at least the possibility of permanent lung damage directly in the line of fire

Well, nurses and doctors don’t have a choice.

They can’t just not show up. They can’t call in sick right now unless they’re demonstrating symptoms of COVID (here at least).

I’m using that figure to demonstrate just how badly people are needed, and mainly to disprove anything noted above indicating this isn’t as serious as we think.

Edit-I think we’re on the same page

But this is what nurses and doctors do. They risk their lives for the rest of us all the time. That’s why we should all be thankful.

2 Likes

I understand what the point you were trying to make was. I’m just saying for those looking for work, 86/hr walking into a grease fire doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Understood

But if a spouse just got laid off and it’s the only way to survive (until we hear more about how all of this will be handled) … there may not be an alternative choice

Or maybe you just want to help folks in need, risk be daxx… $86 an hour is just a bonus. No question I would sign-up if they will take any joe blow. I’m sure we will get to that before it’s all over.

1 Like

You’re a better man than I then. My concern right now is protecting my family, especially my 2 year old son. I can’t afford to take that risk. My wife works in a hospital and is petrified she will get sick, pass it on to me and we will have nobody to care for him. And since nobody knows if they will get a mild sickness or end up in a hospital on a ventilator, I’m assuming the worst and hoping for the best.

I am all for helping out, but I have my priorities. Call me selfish. 8600/hr wouldn’t be worth it to me.

1 Like
1 Like

MP, I can’t agree more, you and your wife’s first priority is your family, direct and expands to parents, siblings etc. While I give praise to all in the medical profession and their professionalism, right now I wouldn’t want to be on that front line, and you shouldn’t feel your position is selfish!

Especially when I hear stuff like I did from our neighbor yesterday. She works for Robert Wood Johnson here in NJ in a Cancer Care unit giving chemo and radiation to cancer patients. But many hospitals are reallocating their nurses and Dr’s to work on processing Covid cases, but they still don’t have adequate PPE gear. Moreover, the hospital is telling the medial staff, that even if they are symptomatic, don’t ask for a test, because they won’t test the hospital staff. So this is a ticking time bomb. You could go to the hospital for testing, but negative, and potential infected by staff who is unknowingly positive themselves.

Let’s hope the millions of masks which have been reclassified from Industrial Use only, starts to make their way in the next days to the hospitals and testing centers for the people on the front line.

2 Likes

Why should anyone read an article by a guy with an expertise in… what exactly?

4 Likes

The understatement of the day.
Nothing sells better than fear…the media is the biggest winner of this crisis.
Am i the only one tired of hearing about this flu virus?

1 Like

I surely am. I’m tired of everyone thinking 80% off car sales are coming next month, just because dealers want to move metal. I’m tired of people asking stupid questions like “my lease is up and the dealer is closed. What do I do?” Call your captive…duh. I’m tired of people not using common sense…does that even exist anymore?

That said, while I am tired of this shit, I’m still doing my part to take precautions. Considering nobody knows if they will have no symptoms or end up on life support in an ICU, it’s a risk I can’t take with a 2 year old kid. My wife also works in a hospital, so the potential is real for me.

3 Likes

The internet lasts forever. Maybe wait a week or two before deciding this definitely won’t be a problem.

Also maybe it is just a bad flu. Like say, the Spanish flu?

4 Likes

Absolutely!
I said it before…this is hugely overblown…but it’s too late to do anything now. Recession started, 1-2 sucky years ahead so stack up on antidepressants. At this point i might as well do the isolation dance. I was thinking of going on a hike yesterday…guess what?!..so was other 1000s of people…when i saw the crowds i did a U turn and went home.

Ah, come on…you don’t have to edit your post not to hurt my feelings…i can take it. I’m making my bets and putting my $ were my mouth is…not just posting on the internet…will see who comes out on top out of this mess.

Because it’s not an opinion article. He is simply compiling data gathered from other sources. The data is very interesting and it isn’t getting reported.

1 Like

Cmon man, anyone who says (paraphrasing) “You don’t need a background in the field to interpret the data” is full of BS

And of course it’s an opinion article. Every single conclusion and interpretation supposedly “drawn from the data” is just his opinion masquerading as something else.

And then there is absolute nonsense like this:

Both the CDC and WHO are optimizing virality and healthcare utilization, while ignoring the economic shock to our system. Both organizations assume you are going to get infected, eventually, and it won’t be that bad.

If you can translate the first part, let me know.

1 Like

Sex is a close second

2 Likes

Interesting statement regarding the death rates in Italy.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus"

1 Like

OTOH,

Provincial mayors are sounding an alarm that the virus-related toll fails to reflect a spike in deaths in the general population among those who have not been tested. Last week alone, 400 people died in Bergamo and 12 neighboring towns — four times the number who died the same week the previous year, according to the Bergamo mayor’s office. Only 91 of those had tested positive for the virus.

Now I know there’s a difference between correlation and causation. RN the 4x weekly death toll is correlation, but would you be willing to bet that some causation won’t be proved eventually?

I think the biggest take away is that the current numbers/statistics are horribly inaccurate.

Hell, here in Los Angeles, they’ve stopped testing except for rare cases where a positive diagnosis would change treatment protocol.