Infiniti 'Will Be Great Again' by Going Less Luxurious

I still think the Infinity FX / QX70 is one of the best looking SUVs in that segment. And I used to see them everywhere. Fun as hell to drive too.

In the last decade they’ve made some truly head scratching design and model choices. Even as a car enthusiast I couldn’t keep track of them.

More “nanny” features probably in the Land Rover. My insurance dropped by $20 a month by switching from an older crappy Nissan (Sentra) to a less slightly crappy Nissan (Rogue.)

Nissan ‘plus’ is an incredibly stupid idea. Buick barely gets away with ‘GM Plus’ and that’s only because of sales in China. Based on US sales alone the brand would be done.

Volvo is a great example of where Infiniti needs to go. Volvo’s aren’t anywhere near as reliable as they were and they also have an achilles heel with the limited 2.0 4cyl line up - but y’know what? Buyers love them. Sales up. Why? - Because they’re well designed, nicely appointed and feel modern.

True, but I think sales are really up on Volvos because they have been insanely aggressive on pricing and incentives.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would agree to a certain point. I think the deals we see here aren’t necessarily indicative of the wider market - I’m sure there are a lot of people leasing their XC90’s for silly numbers. They’re certainly not in $200 320i territory.

I think a large part of the success for Volvo was also timing. They updated and innovated their SUV line up, just as the market for luxury compact SUV’s was exploding. Although having said that, Infiniti DOES have a new compact luxury SUV in the QX50 but this interior just sucks…It’s fine in a Subaru, but it doesn’t scream ‘luxury’ to me.
Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 13.47.11

But it DOES scream “Nissan Plus” lol

Love the exterior design of the QX50 though…

1 Like

I agree the exterior design is nice. But then they had to kill it with a CVT.

I also agree, they got the proportions spot on, its a great looking little CUV. I think that’s part of the frustration. They’re so close to getting things right.

I feel like Lexus is starting to go the same way if they’re not careful. Their line up is rapidly ageing. Their interiors also suck. They’re coasting on reliability at this point

1 Like

Couldn’t agree less. Case in point, they just milked the shit out of the outgoing generation of the IS since 2013. Just kept changing engines etc. The same thing with GX and RX.

1 Like

That area to the left of the gear shift know is pretty much an exact rip off of the BMW 6 series interior. And the BMW interior design with that feature is probably 6 years old.

I think Lexus is missing a huge opportunity with the GX. Instead of coasting on a 10+ year old design they should have made it a Range Rover Velar or Sport competitor. It’s already more prestigious than the RX so I think that could have been doable for sure. Also, they are killing off the GS. Once again a more prestigious car than the ES that has become pretty much the same size. The GS should have become something like the Audi A7. Would not have been a volume car for Lexus but could have been a design leader for the brand.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. The ES is just a glorified Camry or Ok fine Avalon. Its kind of sad if they are indeed killing the GX in an SUV dominated market of today. The LS is simply too big and still a good fit for someone who is in the Denali / Escalade market.

You couldn’t have said it any better (re Lexus)

i’m confused about what you’re disagreeing with? I’m saying that Lexus has a pretty old line up and then you just confirmed it by saying the current IS is a 2013 model and even the new 2021 is essentially just a heavy refresh?

:joy: I think he meant “couldn’t agree more.”

3 Likes

Ooooh that would make more sense! hahaha sorry @mani_is_kool!

1 Like

To be fair, there are probably people paying a silly amount for an Infiniti, too.

Agreed. People also assume (correctly or not) that SUVs are safer, and so what could be safer than a VOLVO SUV?

Given that the upcoming IS has the same platform, same engines, and the same interior, they’re continuing to milk the sh*t out of it.

Yeah, but, if you’re going to coast on one thing, there’s nothing better than reliability (and the resulting high resale value).

2 Likes

Audi does not sell a ton of A7s compared to the A6, but there is nothing else like it on the road. When you pass by one (either body style) you know it is distinctively an Audi.

I think Lexus is fed up with declining sales and the growing entries into the Luxury market. Back when it started, it was BMW, Mercedes, Audi (kind of), and Lexus. Now Genesis, Tesla, Porsche (with the Panamera) are all trying to take a piece of the pie. This makes competition extremely fierce and why everybody else is pushing the latest features. Meanwhile, Lexus (although the LS had an excellent redesign) is just chilling in the background. It is not like BMW makes a new engine for every car, but rather making a powerplant that can be adaptable to different cars. Lexus has the twin-turbo V6, why not start using it?

lol thanks for correcting

my bad. Yes we r on same page with Lexus. But maybe im the only one who thinks this way but I find the outgoing generation IS better looking than the new one coming in.