Infiniti 'Will Be Great Again' by Going Less Luxurious

The question is were they ever?

I hate to say this, the awkward and stupid words coming out of my mouth as a ‘15 cvt Nissan owner, are Nissan used to make great cars. Reliable cars that could perform, sound good, and looked amazing.

I’m 17, will I see that return in my lifetime? Maybe.

1 Like

So rather than differentiate themselves, they’re going to double down on the failing Nissan model?

Been nice knowing you infiniti

4 Likes

So less luxurious… less reliable… less profitable… Perfect business plan

2 Likes

Base Altima interior with a badge for more money?

2 Likes

It sure is sad, back in the day had a new 2011 G37x I very much enjoyed for 30k miles. Didn’t buy another Infiniti as they jumbled up the model names and who knew what represented.

Bear

1 Like

It’s a shame, they had a uniqueness about them by being more performance oriented than Lexus for some time. They weren’t necessarily better cars but for a different buyer. Even the QX60 for it’s dated tech and overdue redesign has some attributes of comfort and luxury that an XC90 doesn’t have. I don’t want to steer this into a discussion about that but infiniti may become oldsmobile.

2 Likes

Acura & Infinity had a niche market with loyal base which went sideways

We just went from a QX60 to the XC90. The Infiniti feels a little roomier but the tech so antiquated its wild. The Volvo just drives so much better and feels like we are driving a car built in 2020, not 2008.

3 Likes

Me too, the convertible. In fact I still have it. :clown_face:

1 Like

My parents have an 05ish G35 still. It was amazingly competitive at the time and has been a great vehicle for them.

I don’t understand why it is so difficult for them to swap out there R&D team which has been slacking for the last decade. People shit on Acura but guess what, they have and still continue to redesign, refresh and recreate stuff to sell to the market. But Infiniti on the other hand has always done the opposite. I have said this before and Im saying this again, there doom days initiated when the started introducing the CVT across all models…

#waitforthe But my CVT’s been running fine comment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s the issue with management directives.

Nissan/infinity wanted volume & #1 spot in short timeline. So innovation took back seat. Funding & timeline for R&D took a hit.

When volume is the goal something takes a hit… #dieselgate

For a brief moment with a couple models.

But all of this Nissan/Infiniti hentai fan fiction is certainly not going to make them good, forget great. This is at least the third one in a couple weeks.

They need to build cars people (not fleet) WANT - and not just because they are cheap (for all meanings of the word).

2 Likes

Yeah, my understanding of why Acura has been lackluster is b/c Honda is (was) not giving them much $ for R&D. It makes sense that Infiniti likely had the same problem. A shame, b/c they made some interesting (but likely never truly class-leading) cars…

As far as being Infiniti being Nissan-plus… Well, that will end in failure. Lipstick on a pig doesn’t do much, and Buick being a more luxurious Chevy didn’t/isn’t working, either.

1 Like

I read an article on that funky 4 popper with variable/unlimited intake/exhaust range and I panned it as power/fuel mileage didn’t seem to offset the expense and complicated design that may bite the back end of the buyer in 80,000 miles.

Bear

1 Like

My cvt in my 15 Nissan Altima HAS NOT BEEN RUNNING FINE, I get weird noises between 30-45 mph, sudden deceleration while accelerating (gas pedal down, but car does a weird jerking thing), and it’s been in the dealer twice for inspection.

Nissan gave it a ‘clean’ bill of health… I hate cvts with a passion, a mllcb 1% rule passion.

3 Likes

Hertz can’t bail them out now

3 Likes

We know…we all know…every week we know everything you have, do, say and think.

i remember when my parents needed a beater car for a few years and i got them a base altima for 183 with first month DAS. those were the days…

2 Likes