Infiniti 'Will Be Great Again' by Going Less Luxurious

PM me if you feel like cuddling later.

3 Likes

I valeted over the summers when I was in college

I drove some really nice cars but always remember how much I loved the M45

I preferred it to any E Class or 5er out there. Granted, this was my 20-22 year old self and that was far from their target demographic.

Make Infiniti Great Again ©️

3 Likes

Acura already did this. In 2008 they had a V10 ready to go into the 2nd gen front engine NSX and a DOHC V8 ready to go into the 2nd gen RLX. Both programs were 90% developed. Then the recession happened, the Japanese mothership cut off almost all Acura funding and R&D projects in preparation for a long term global economic meltdown, and we got warmed over Honda+ products like this:

Acura lost 50% of their sales in 3 years. If ‘Smart Luxury’ hadn’t been a mistake, you wouldn’t see Acura completely reversing course now and admitting that they fell flat on their face for a decade.

Why would Nissan possibly think that they would be able to do this successfully given what happened at Acura? Acura had far more cachet at that time than Infiniti ever has had and Nissan products aren’t exactly a stellar base to build off of…

2 Likes

My brother had an altima in high school, car had a new transmission in it by 60k miles, sold shortly thereafter. I drove it a few times, the actual styling was nice/sporty, the interior was roomy and the tech was not bad either. Shame the powertrain was sh*t, it was a 2011 2.5sl, I think the cvt in the i4s is notoriously weaker than the 3.5 vq.

the car isn’t bad, the lacking of technology except Bluetooth is fine, idc about safety features, no aeb, I just don’t want the steering and Powertrain and delivery to feel like a freaking marshmallow

Dear god my insurance is way too high for this Altima, I had a quote done for a Land Rover evoque unicorn I found and it was 7/month cheaper than my Altim, same coverage and everything I genuinely don’t understand.

I drove a g37xs sedan in college for about 4 years and it was a very good all around car, coming from an eclipse gsx and supra it was a nice change of pace, still sporty but the ability to have passengers and carry stuff in the trunk was great. I had plans to throw a twin turbo on it that eventually got derailed but it was the most balanced 4 door I have owned myself and surprised the heck out of a lot of bmw 3 series coupes.

probably after your time… meaning next gen but the m56 was an absolute beast, I used to lust after one when I had the g37.

1 Like

HA!

I’ve never felt so old.

1 Like

Sold this right after I got my S60, was a fantastic car.

Join the club, it’s been 8 years since I graduated high school, everytime I say my age I feel really old.

Rates on individual cars are somewhat built on actuals for those vehicle. If 50% of Altima drivers destroy their cars, you’ll have ridiculously high insurance. Guess that means you’re in “good” company?

1 Like

Makes sense. Another reason to ditch it for a cheap Toyota.

Very disappointing, yet not surprising. The whole Ghosn scandal and lack of major changes for a few years really set Infiniti back when it comes to innovation and adapting to a rapidly changing market. I loved the brand before I worked for them and I still do; I want to see more of what they can put on the table and want them to succeed…now that I do work for the brand, sometimes I feel like I’m hopeless in a toxic relationship.

I genuinely don’t believe they’re bad cars though and I believe that this can set up Infiniti for a comeback if they execute it properly. Also looking forward to the 2021 QX60…hopefully the pandemic doesn’t get in the way of that.

With the direction they announced they’re going in, they won’t be executing it properly. I do not think they’ve actually learned anything, only that you can’t expand as fast as they tried.

I wonder how much CVT hatred is due exclusively to Nissan. How many millions of Americans first drove a CVT car when taking a poorly equipped Nissan Altima/Rogue/Sentra Murano off a rental car lot? I know mine was and I have definitely rented all four of those cars, all except the Murano on multiple occasions.

These early CVTs, combined with under powered engines, just made for a horrible driving experience. When I rented a 2015 Rogue on a trip with four adults I would have sworn it had no more than a Nissan Sentra engine in it by the way it drove. Conversely, I never thought the Maxima was fun to drive but I also never had the same issues with the Maxima’s CVT. I believe this is due to the big V6 providing adequate power to hide some of the CVTs flaws.

My 18 Accord has a CVT and while it’s not fun, it’s miles ahead of any Nissan, which I think is due to CVT tech advancement and the fact that CVTs tend to work better with turbocharged engines.

Amount of transmission horror stories about Nissan’s of mid-late 2000’s is crazy.

It’s become a metal mover brand not ppl mover.

Otherwise called an appliance.

1 Like

Nissan sales down 50% or so in May…

Mazda down 1%…

Hmm, guess those rental sales aren’t helping!

1 Like