Incentives: based on car registration or dealer's zip code?

I’m trying to go nationwide on my car search for leasing.
Because lease incentives do vary depending on zip code, I really need to get a better understanding:

• Is it car registration zip code (or lessee’s zip code),
  • Or is it dealer’s zip code?

If it’s dealer’s zip code, I should be able pick up a car from a dealer out of state, with best incentives, but register it home then.

From my searching through LeaseHackr, seems like people say it’s the car registration zip code that counts, but Edmunds forum moderators say it’s the dealer’s zip code.

Does it vary by the model?

1 Like

It varies by manufacturer.

1 Like

What’s the :crystal_ball: car?

1 Like

I’m looking at 2021 Hyundai Tucson and 2021 Nissan Rogue Sport

Does it vary by model also, or just by manufacturer?

What’s the best way to find out for sure? Looks like manufacturers don’t include this info anywhere, even in fine print.

For Nissan / Hyundai: Anyone knows if it’s the registration zip or dealer’s zip?

Because these zip-code rules are not spelled out anywhere explicitly, my guess is it could be up to the dealer, to an extent? Still it would help to know for sure

the dealer has no say in the matter. I’m sure it’s spelled out explicitly, just probably not publicly.

I do not know for the ones you are looking for. In my previous experience GM based it on registration zip code and BMW was based on dealer zip code.

Thanks - so BMW dealers were straightforward about it? Or else how did you find that out?

Yes, pretty easy to deal with. Brokers here that work with those brands should be a good source to find info or the finance guy at the dealership you are dealing with. Residual/rates were usually pretty standard across the board- it usually was just lease cash/incentives that changed.

1 Like

Local incentives from Nissan are based on registration zip code

Ok thanks! Now just need to find out the same for Hyundai

The regions are so large, most of the time customer and the dealer are the same.

You have to travel really long distances or be borderline for it to make a difference

That is if you shop locally, but I’m trying to go nationwide - anywhere I could find a decent deal.
So some dealers are really far from me.

If Hyundai incentives are based on dealer’s zip code, then I can weed out a lot of low-incentive dealers, right off the bat. Narrowing my search regions

you know a broker would solve your problems here

How much variation in incentives are you seeing on edmunds?

1 Like

Does the Nissan Rogue still have that CVT ?
Sick Fox GIF by New Girl

It does have that CVT indeed. But hey, in this market I’ll take it. Especially since some rear-ending-texting kid has totally totaled my previous car

As for incentives, they don’t vary as much for Rogue Sport, but they do for Tucson ($1.5-2k difference sometimes)

A related question:
If 1-2 months down the lease, I re-register a car in a different state, it is my understanding that there are sales tax implications.

But the real question is: if the second state has lower incentives, will my monthly lease payment be recalculated based on that as well?
Technically, lower incentives mean higher adjusted cap cost, which should hypothetically change monthly payments. Will that be the case?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

The incentives don’t change if you change registration addresses (the one potential exception being some state ev credits that have residency/time line requirements may require repayment).

1 Like

Just go to edmunds and ask for two selected zip codes.