If you were me, what would you do?

Hi everyone -

I am looking to purchase an EV, and have narrowed it down to the Tesla Model Y or Audi e-tron. I can get into the reasons for choosing between those two vehicles but it’s not necessarily relevant to this post, so I’ll refrain unless requested.

My dilemma is this: I am in need of a car sooner than later (currently renting). I have three options, and I’m curious what you all would do if in my shoes. I should also mention that leasing is not really an option because I drive approx. 20K miles per year.

Option 1: Buy the e-tron and take the tax credit now. While I am hesitant to commit to the e-tron due to its low (but admittedly adequate) range, it is still a nice car and I would probably learn to live with the range. There are rumors that a newer version is coming in the next year or two with a greater range, but nothing confirmed so far. I’m aware I could always trade in.

Option 2: Buy a used Model Y. Not a big fan of this given that used prices are higher than new MSRP in my region, but it is an option nonetheless.

Option 3: Buy a Subaru Outback using a VIP discount and wait to see how things shake out with the new EV tax credit legislation, future e-tron improvements, etc. I only bring this option up because I can easily get a discount on a new one and resale value is great. Plus, they’re pretty good cars and I wouldn’t mind driving it for a little while.

What do you all think? I’m located in California.

Use the Tesla discord that’s here
You can get a new one relatively quick

2 Likes

:point_up_2::point_up_2: That would be my suggestion.

2 Likes

You should you could both get one quick and get VIP discount? Seems like dealers are a bit persnickety about giving VIP on in-stock cars.

Yep. Within my area, there are over 50 in-stock Outback Touring XT’s available. My local dealer is also pretty great and happy to honor it for local customers.

1 Like

The Fisker lease is 30,000 miles per year

Fisker lease doesn’t help if OP needs a car soon.

Buy a Subaru using VIP pricing.

If that’s the case, that’s the way to go for sure. Buy yourself a year or two (if not more) as long as you’re ok with delaying the adoption of EV.

Great option if you’re ok getting the car in 2024 or 2025 or maybe never.

That’s exactly what I did in June. The Outback is fine but I’m already bored with it (lasted until the hard plates arrived).

1 Like

It really depends on your use of the car.

Theoretically the Y’s range isn’t that much better than the etron, the etron also has an incredibly flat charge curve which has you ready to move on to the next charger in about half hour. (0-80% in half hour)

If you’re willing to drive a non-luxury car for a few years, get a cheaper EV or PHEV that won’t depreciate as horribly as an Audi or Tesla that you put 20k miles a year on. Like a Kona or Niro.

In this market my priority is minimizing depreciation and interest expense.

This thing is boring, yeah. I took a 3.6 for a test drive a few years ago and forgot about it as soon as I got out.

The 3.6 Is slightly more exciting to drive than the 2.4 T. And gets better gas mileage

Yeah, but it was still boring even with 3.6

IMHO, because it handles like a wet iron pig and the CVT hates to be pushed hard.

FYI, this is based on my time with my dad’s 2016 3.6R Legacy

1 Like

We’re wayyy OT here but I’ll add: there are at least 2 CVTs in the Outback, mine is the more robust one. The “shifting” is software, in less than 1000 miles it learned me and “shifts” where I want to, actually doesn’t bother me. The CVT tolerance is allegedly why we still don’t have a tune available for it.

The suspension (as I mentioned when I got it) might seem stiff to other Japanese brands, I find it on the soft side, I’m not willing to invest in tires and a rear sway bar and strut replacements like some others. It’s fine.

The Outback is everything OP wants (and I did), a safe, capable, wagon with some tech, that holds its value, at a discount. Though often I feel like I’m driving the fanciest riding lawn mower ever made (which would get better gas mileage).

But at $3k under sticker, it’s a great holding pattern until something better comes along (:eyes: Polestar 3)

4 Likes

I’m not you, so I can’t tell you what to do. go with what your gut tells you! You’ll be happiest that way. It’s not always a financial decision.

The used Tesla Y will be the biggest winner in terms of value retention, especially if the new tax credit of 4k for used EVs passes.

1 Like