If you had to get a car today…

I’m moving to CA, but agree with the sentiment (Toyota at MSRP).

I should note that the 40kw Leaf isn’t enough range for me (moving to a mountain). The Plus would be just fine, but the lease deals aren’t great on those.

Where can i find a Toyota at MSRP? Serious question, I’m overwhelmed trying to figure this out

This thread would be a start

Depending on your location there could be a broker you can work with as well

Hope I’m not reviving too dead a thread. My beautiful wagon was parked on the street and was obliterated by a stolen car piloted by a druggie.

Any suggestions on what to get next, given the used market seems to be softening every day, but new car supply still sucks?

1 Like

Not the e450?!

V90?

Audi wagonz are few and full of adm. i imagine those buick wagon$ will be the first on sale as used cars correct. A 2019 VW Sportwagen will include dieselgate apology extended warranty 7/72.

2 Likes

I’m afraid so. I’m so sad. Damage is worse as you get closer. Axle is bent and rear structure is caved.

Good call on all the above. Will start some searches on V90 first. Not 100% tied to wagons but man they are so sweet.

Thank you.

1 Like

This link made me shed a tear.

19% off?? :sob::sob::sob:

5 Likes

The glory days when there was a plethora of cars on the market and no one wanted a wagon. I was gonna buy that baby out when lease was up next month.

6 Likes

As much as I enjoy my 2018 Sportwagen, I have difficulty imagining that someone is going to move from an E450 to a Sportwagen w/o some… sadness.

V60CC? But be forewarned that they are apparently not particularly space efficient.

Ugh, I’m so sorry about your wagon. That’s gotta hurt on multiple levels.

3 Likes

I lobbied hard for a Mercedes wagon for the mrs. She said she didn’t want a “mom” car. And the kids agreed.

A slow, single tear, fell down my cheek.

Quality however was not impressive for the last one. I had a ‘17 E300 ($420/mo lease on a loaner, score!!). It was at the dealer many times for things that a new car should not need to be looked at. I remember one time I was there another customer was going apeshit with the service manager about his almost new suv (can’t recall the exact one) being a pos.

MB is one of those only own under warranty deals for me.

2 Likes

Don’t disagree. But never had an issue on my car. Only 20k miles though. Had a few Benz over the years and they have always been good to me. Just one anecdote though.

2 Likes

I think MB can be very hit or miss. We’ve had 11+ over the yrs (all the most recent ones were leased). Some of them were decently reliable (they were all maintained well) and some… were not.

While I think all brands can, of course, have variable reliability, I think MB (and German makes, in general) have much more variability than most (esp over the past 30 yrs). My C250 was really reliable… until it wasn’t, ~7 yrs after purchase.

3 Likes

can it be fixed?

I had an E39 that acted like a Camry. And I had an A8 that acted like, uhm, a BMW.
Yeah it can absolutely be hit and miss with the German brands. Difference is 99% of Camrys act like Camrys, lol. I had a Sienna for 6 years and 100K miles and not a single thing broke on that. Not so much as a plastic bit fell off. Literally other than maintenance, nothing was needed. I am still amazed to this day how that held up. And this was 6 years of use with small kids in and out of the thing.

And I can’t for the life of me figure out why Toyota (and Honda to a lesser extent) can do this but MB, VWAG and BMW can’t. It’s like dudes, just buy a Camry or two strip it down and figure it out, LOL.

1 Like

Will find out next week. If I was a betting person, I’d say it’s totaled. Bent axle, messed up suspension, destroyed exhaust and substructure damage. If it can be fixed, I won’t be buying it out.

1 Like

well then there goes that idea. sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Just avoid cars built on Monday morning and Friday evening. :grin:

2 Likes

I fit plenty of things into my parents’ V60CC all the time. I have fit 3 large suitcases in there, for instance, without folding down the backseat. I also know for a fact that it fits 50+ 1.5L bottles of Eternal water, plus other items, at the same time (random but helpful?).

2 Likes

Yes, should’ve added that to my post. :wink: W/ German brands, it’s a crap shoot. W/ Toyota, not so much (you are very UNlucky if you get an unreliable Toyota, but you’re just the usual owner if you have one that’s bulletproof).

Not sure if there’s some sort of cultural thing (either w/i the company or at large) that leads the Japanese brands to be more reliable. I think part of it is that the Japanese brands used to do a “superficial” re-skin (inside and out) of their cars every 4 yrs, but the platform itself changed far less freq. So an older, more mature platform presumably has been around long enough to work out the kinks. I also think I read somewhere that the Japanese brands are very aware that many (most?) Americans do not necessarily do a stellar job w/ maintenance and have designed their cars to withstand that kind of neglect. And Toyota is generally pretty conservative w/ introducing “tech” and anything particularly interesting or innovative (hydrogen aside). Which leads them to be very boring. But, again, older tech probably breaks less often.

And, depending on the seat back configuration, you’d be able to fit more into basically every other wagon of a similar size.

Finding specs on-line is a little confusing b/c non-Volvo websites list more cargo capacity for the V60 than does Volvo’s own website. Just in terms of overall cubic feet, you’d fit a bit more into my Golf Sportwagen (a considerably smaller car than the V60) or a LOT more in an Outback (which is only slightly longer) w/ either backseats up or down.

I assumed that VW was maybe exaggerating and I’ve not measured it myself, but, when I looked at the V60 cargo hold at an auto show, it did actually look smaller than my Sportwagen, TBH.

From what I can find on the we, last gen C-Class wagon had less capacity w/ the seats up but more w/ the seats down; apparently ditto on the 3-Series wagon (2018 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4MATIC Wagon: Why Settle for a Sedan? - The Car Guide).

Those are both are RWD platforms and slightly shorter, so I would’ve expected that they would’ve had less cargo capacity, regardless of seatback configuration.

The only wagon of roughly the same size/class that has less space seatback up or down is the A4 Allroad.

So, to me, the V60 is indeed not particularly space efficient compared to other wagons of roughly similar size.

::shrug::

1 Like