If you had to get a car today…

Long story short…had an E300 loaner lease that was ending in June 2021. Sold it to vw dealer for just over payoff and bought a new 2020 Passat from them for 7k off MSRP. Sold Passat to a local Lexus dealer in Nov 2021 and made 5k on it. At the same time bought base WRX for MSRP plus glass protection for like a 1k - took about two weeks working with Subaru dealer to get it at msrp. Loving every day I drive the WRX.

2 Likes

Congratulations - hell of a journey and you landed well. Did you opt for a base WRX? Maybe I just need to drive one of these - I personally love the looks of the '21.

You can easily find a high-mid mileage 997/991 in your price range. If I still had mine, I would have offered it to you, you’re two months late!

1 Like

Luckily, I don’t give 2 Fs what people think of my cars. Besides, the ‘21s are rather tame and adult-looking compared to the US-original bugeye. It also doesn’t draw anywhere near the attention of my hemi orange Daytona Charger anyway. Haha.

I intentionally chose a base model WRX because, for one, it has the best resale margin and, two, I wanted the lightest possible version.

I’ve been eyeing 997s for years but have never come upon the right one at the right time that has the IMS problem already addressed.

1 Like

Only the 2005 997s still carried over the IMS issues (with later engines having been updated by Porsche to increase reliability). Even then, the 04’s and 05’s had a very low failure rate.

I think LM engineering makes a great IMS kit for the 911s and it’s reasonably priced.

Biggest thing you may need to worry about is bore scoring. The 997.2 engines were the first DFI engines and solved all M96/M97 engine issues.

2 Likes

(Full disclosure before I continue: I did not inherit the automotive nostalgia gene.)

I took my checkbook with me when I went to drive a 2014 Carrera Cabriolet about a year ago, practically certain it was going to follow me home even though I’d never driven one.

Perhaps in part because expectations were so high, the experience goes on my short list of the most disappointing test drives of all time (more detailed comments here).

Resale value appealed to my frugal side, but that couldn’t overcome the overwhelming apathy for the car itself.

I would consider a newer generation 911, however.

1 Like

Yep. Base. I did not think it was worth to go up to premium or limited.

1 Like

Just got an in-transit Civic hatch sport in boost blue for my parents at MSRP and no add on’s, hyped about that!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing that. Nice pick on the 550, too.

1 Like

I would rather have a Cayman/Boxster over a Carrera Cab.

I know people love them, they just do absolutely nothing for me. Literally zero interest.

The only vehicle I drove last time around that would have been worth the compromises of an impractical car was the AMG GT coupe, which I absolutely loved.

1 Like

Porsche in general? I think the AMG GT is a great car, but I would be tempted to look at a C8 or C7 Z06 as well

No interest in the Boxster/Cayman. Panamera and Taycan are on a very short list of candidates to replace a different vehicle in the next several months.

For as long as I can remember my father has had at least one Corvette, and he’s commonly had three or four at once, so there’s really no allure there either.

I kind of want a GR86 as a replacement for the Prelude. My Toyota dealer has 2 coming in next month, including one in the color/trim I want, but sadly both are AT.

no plaid?
im digging the electric power train after owning a tesla.

1 Like

No. My first ride in a Model S was a taxi we hired at the airport in Amsterdam several years ago.

I still think they’re really ugly, and I don’t want to drive around in an electric Crown Victoria.

3 Likes

makes sense… i think my model 3 perf isnt a looker, black hides lines okay. but my kid scratches it all up.
but the power train is legit.

taycan is good also, better all around package. but plaids speed it just silly on another level. Ive just never saw the value of the panamera over its competitors.

I have a ridiculous set of requirements and expectations, which has doomed me to dislike almost everything on the road.

I’ve loved the Panamera since it’s debut, and almost bought one in 2011. I still regret that I couldn’t unclench the fist that holds the money far enough to execute on that.

Taycan looks better (highly subjective) and for obvious reasons it appeals to the electrical engineer I married, but we don’t pick out each other’s cars. So I keep going back to the Panamera.

I know the feeling, I just ended up with multiple cars. Theres no 1 car that ticks all the boxes.
My SUV replacement will be due in summer. Not sure if im ready to give up ice car for the family trip car yet.

1 Like

Do you have a short list of cars that you are interested in? I have a feeling you would like an Audi RS6 Avant