I got 99 problems and a Frontier ain’t one. (A new year’s guide to a transitory lease in a car you probably don’t want)

Yes, my dealer cut me a check. They did this to make me whole based on quotes they provided previously, before they determined the $100 over residual cap cost restriction. Plus they had the truck listed on their website for a lower number than NMAC would approve in the lease. The GM of dealership was directly involved, and they are the largest Nissan dealership in my state so it’s all above board.

Looks like NMAC lowered the residuals this month on the Pro4X, so there’s more room to discount. Perhaps it’s a non issue now.

Also, FWIW, the NMAC website has no clue what a one pay lease is. When I log into my account, it shows all kinds of goofy numbers (as in negative numbers) for what the next payment is, etc. Called their customer service center this morning to confirm that the deal is loaded correctly on their end, and it is. It’s a system / website issue.

1 Like

Looks like SV is the sweet spot under these programs.

Yes all else equal a higher discount will be needed. But, it does appear that some dealers were willing to discount too much before the change, which was causing the contractual issues. With the change in RV if the dealer is still willing to do the same discount it may come out in the wash.

One more thing - we’ve been talking about the great deal these trucks are at the moment, but what we haven’t been talking about is…what a great truck it is!

I picked up the Pro 4X as a third vehicle for my wife and I. I drive a Genesis GV80 as my main car, my wife a BMW X3. I wanted something we could do some mild offroading in, mountain bikes, etc. and also wanted it to fit in the garage so full size was out. Shopped used Tacoma’s and couldn’t bring myself to dropping that kind off money on a used truck, plus the ergonomics are just terrible in those things. Stopped by the local Nissan dealer and thought, hey, nice truck, checks all the boxes. Then learned about the 18 month programs and started negotiations with several dealers in my state.

We’ve had the Frontier for going on a month now, and the more I drive it the more impressed I am. Good ergo’s (seats are very good), great technology (wireless CarPlay), adaptive cruise, all that. Heated seats, steering wheel. The cabin is surprisingly quiet for a truck (unlike Tacoma) and it handles great. Plenty of power from the 3.8, and the nine speed works great (again, unlike Tacoma). Wish it had a telescoping steering wheel but that’s a nitpick. For what this lease set me back, I almost feel a little guilty.

13 Likes

I know the Pro 4X gets all the love, but I really like the SV when it has the right adders on it. I actually chose an SV for that reason. The other one I got (my father is taking that one) was a Pro-4X.

Great report. On this board, we do tend to focus, (in my opinion anyway… and of course, I am guilty of it as well), on the deal. But the fact that something that is a deal is also a nice vehicle is obviously just as important.

1 Like

Still having a difficult time processing the move from a 5 series to this, but such is the current car market…

2 Likes

Agreed, and I didn’t even get as good a deal as you.

The truck really is great. Peppy, comfortable (front row), stylish, full of tech I actually want. Can’t say any of these imo about the king taco.

The big misses for me are lane tracing and true stop/go adaptive cruise. The back row is also too upright, and my mpgs so far haven’t been too hot.

Overall as someone who also needed a truck, I haven’t seen anything else that is better value, short of a TRX flip.

Going along the same path as discussed above, as nice as it is to try to get the absolute rock-bottom deal, in the end, it really hardly matters. Anything at/around a certain point is just a killer deal on one of these things. I would have signed your deal in a millisecond.

1 Like

you just caused me to take a quick trip down memory lane! This was one of the megadeals offered by @Bostoncarconcierge back during the Taco bonanza. Man was this a nice truck for the money.

2 Likes

Agreed, his deal is the lowest effective pm I’ve seen on here, and even that is only an $80pm difference. The mind share is better spent making that on the income side.

I also shopped for my friend trying to get him a better deal than me, and was not able to beat it without going out to a dealer 5-6 hrs away despite waiting until NYE. Some dealers are just not interested in the headaches of the cap cost and MSD combo hacks when dummies are still financing these things minimally discounted.

RE your second edit, calc gets closer when you switch make to Toyota, check off the one pay box, and add in the random “non tax fee”.

But yes still a “deal” to walk away from.

1 Like

I see you have been to FL???

I had quotes of over $15k on a single pay here.

Dammit - should’ve taken the deal I had worked up on a pro4x with one pay. Residual dropping from 98 to 95% residual kills it. I had a one pay (no MSD’s) in December agreed to ~$5000 ($1750 discount off msrp). Drug my feet because my heart really wants a chevy bolt as my 2nd car - guess I’ll stick with trying to locate a bolt. … unless I’m missing something.

If you still want to look, I wouldn’t give up just yet. I really feel like deals that are very similar to before the programs changed can still be achieved. A good number of those contracts that were written previously would have been unfunded due to the now often discussed issue of lacking a +$100 depreciation over the term. If a dealer now is still willing to do roughly the same discount as the previously non-compliant contracts, you could end up in the same position today…

Meaning (sorry for maybe not following). - NMAC would’ve rejected the lease and we would’ve had to rework terms? Man what a wild situation that would’ve been. Wouldn’t I have just said f off, you guys (dealer) messed up, eat the cost? Let me run the leasehackr calculator with the new rates. Its still a nutty deal regardless…

1 Like

Any way to tweak this deal other than adding MSDs or discounting sale price more? It doesn’t sound like they want to drop much more on their end since they are already $2100 down from MSRP. I don’t think the $6200 DAS includes taxes

What we all wouldnt have done for 1,000 of those trucks just a short while after the initial bonanza…the equity flips were insane!

Thank you for the further trip down memory lane, those were some happy hacking times😁

Also, let’s be real. 99% of Frontier lessees are not doing anything off-road that requires the hardware difference between an SV and a Pro4X.

1 Like