I feel like a moron

Just leased a new 2024 Lexus TX. I went for 12k miles/year for 36 months, but checking the residual with Rate Finder going for 15k would have been almost the same price (1-2% change in residual). I think we might drive 12-15k, so eating an extra $0.25/mile seems ridiculous.

I also messed up my calculations comparing financing to leasing (I made my own calculator in Excel). I didn’t properly consider the difference in the value of the loan vs the buyout price, and it would essentially cost me an extra $6k to lease/buy then if I had just financed from the start (that includes the extra taxes I pay in Texas).

I really had no problem just financing this car, but thought I was getting almost as good of a deal plus flexibility with the lease. It made sense to only go with 12k miles with my broken calculator. Now, I feel like I dropped an extra 3k miles/year for nothing. And, if I buy the car out, it’s going to cost an extra $6k.

Basically, I’m a moron who ran bad numbers and thought leasing then buying would be almost the same price as financing from the start, and I was really wrong.

And the point of this thread is ?

1 Like

Public humiliation and shaming so I learn my lesson. Also, seeing a post like this while researching would have helped.

24 Likes

2% on RV can make a big difference in total lease cost.

If you end up averaging 13k per year, 39k total, your excess mileage charge will be

3,000 * 0.25 = $750.

Bumping the lease up to 15k miles a year, with the residual hit which is essentially prepaying for a large batch of extra miles, would have almost certainly been more expensive.

Next time, calculate the break even point for paying for miles at the beginning or at the end, and make a decision that way.

4 Likes

IMG_8216

5 Likes

A lesson learned is a lesson earned. Many of us have been there

7 Likes

How much is the difference between the two approaches? This could be much ado about nothing.

The difference in lease payment with a 2% residual difference is about $30/mo. So $360/yr.

At $0.25 miles, that’s roughly 1500 miles/yr. So, I guess my breakeven point is 13500 miles/yr. If I drive less, then I made the right choice. If I drive more, then I should have gone with the 15k.

I suppose it’s not too bad. I guess I’m more upset with my lease then buy vs finance calculation. I get roughly $6.5k extra cost to lease then buy ($2.5k is extra Texas taxes, and I figure in some gained opportunity from the lower lease payments).

Basically, at that premium I probably would have forgone the flexibility of leasing and just bought the car.

Thanks :). I tried really hard to understand everything and do all of the math, but I rushed and made a dumb mistake. I really should have posted on here and had someone else look over my analysis. The lesson is to slow down and double check with someone who has more experience.

2 Likes

How’d you get that number? An extra 3k miles should be $750.

1 Like

OP ket me tell you the story of a young and stupid Boomba. I leased a $20K Honda Accord for $350 a month with something like $3000 down. Because I didn’t know any better and was totally taken advantage of.

It happens to the best of us. The key is to use this as a learning opportunity and educate yourself as much as possible so the next time around, you’ll lease it for 1/2 as much. Over the past 20 years I get joy out of getting amazing deals, negotiating every last cent out of a dealer. It’s my catharsis for what happened to me all those years ago.

7 Likes

My bad, I meant $360 / $0.25per mile = 1500 MILES.

So, I would have paid $360 extra per year for a 15k mile lease which is equivalent to just buying 1500 miles on turning the car in.

Assuming the lease is through LFS, you could just buy it out immediately. How much was the acquisition fee?

Thank you. I’m stressing over this but it’s done and we can afford it. My wife absolutely loves the car and so do I. Time to just enjoy.

1 Like

We live n learn my friend. No point on being humiliated or shamed by a bunch of keyboard warriors. Now that you have found the website, next time just take your time here on learning the skills before you negotiate a deal.
For now, just enjoy the vehicle in great health :+1:t4:

3 Likes

In Texas you’d owe tax on the market value again.

No way to undo the mistake unless the deal doesn’t get funded for some reason, AFAIK.

You live and learn.

1 Like

What are the numbers on the current lease? Maybe it’s not as bad as you think overall if at least you got a decent deal on the lease.

It is 1% between 12k and 15k. Is Lexus different?
Edit: checked Ratefinder. It is 2%

Did you mean to say your CARtharsis?

2 Likes

Almost every bank is -2% to go 15k instead of 12

1 Like