Hyundai Kona EV or Kia Niro EV?

I’m in SoCal and I’ve never considered EV before but we’re moving into a new house and I’m considering adding solar panels to save on electricity, which naturally led to looking into leasing an EV. Currently leasing 3 vehicles, one of which ends on March 2022, and have $3-4,000 equity for the moment. Normally I’m a frugal guy and all my leases have been around $300/mo. I figured $3,500 positive equity means I can go as high as $400/mo and narrowed my focus to the two mentioned EVs.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the 2 models as well as tips on adding solar panel and charging outlet. Rebates and tax incentives I should be aware?

There is a federal tax credit for 30% of your cost, up to $1000, for installing a charger.

1 Like

Cool, does that 30% include labor cost as well?

Yes, it does

I’m guessing all the offers I’m seeing include the $7,500 Fed and $1,500 state rebates?

The fed tax credit is only available if you purchase. Hyundai or Kia may offer an equivalent incentive amount or include it in a larger or smaller lease cash bucket.

Kia Niro EX $9700 lease cash, Kona EV Limited $7500 lease cash is what I got from Edmunds.

so that’s your “equivalent” incentive there. No additional fed tax credit.

You should also get the $1500 CA point of sale incentive. I’m sure any dealer advertised price includes that, but for your calculations, it is separate.

I have both.

Easy Comparison
Price / Ride / Feel / Drive

Niro - Honda Accord
Kona - Honda Civic.

That’s all I can say, I like the Niro but the Kona is basically a cheaper Niro.

2 Likes

I guess I should have clarified the question, prices that are offered by brokers here would most likely include the $1,500 CA POS incentive?

I’d assume so if it’s a CA broker

1 Like

Looking at OmegaAuto it’s about $380 for a Niro EX / $520 Premium
and $480 for a Kona EV Sel.

I would go for the Niro EX over the Kona SEL especially at the $100 month less rate.
Now that Premium is very nice, but is it worth $140 more a month? I don’t think so. (Sunroof and Adaptive Cruise are the key features)

Yeah, $380 for Niro EX was what I was leaning toward. Sunroof I don’t care about, Adaptive Cruise I like but not for $140/mo :rofl:

If you get the car and start driving it.

You will immediately remember this strange google advice. ’ HOW TO REMOVE VESS ’

I have the Kona Limited EV, but I wish I had gotten the Niro Premium for:

• More rear passenger space
  • Rear air vents

If you don’t care about rear passengers, the Kona is fine, but my kids always complain how hot it is back there, and when we take the dog and the kids, it’s a really tight fit. I think they get about the same range.

actually, 2022 Kia Nero EV EX (not the premium trim) does come with adaptive cruise control. But Kona’s EPA estimate is 258 vs Nero is only 239 miles.

I think I’ll manage with the 19 less miles but does your EX have rear vents?

1 Like

Interesting it comes with Adaptive. That is extremely nice.
And the miles is more on the Kona because it’s a smaller car. Civic vs Accord remember?

My 2022 Kia Niro EV EX has adaptive cruise and rear vents. All I can see premium gets you is moonroof and air vented seats? I looked at both Niro and Kona, @forbs put it best as a former Honda guy myself.

2 Likes

Kona’s pretty small. It should be about $100/mo less. If you live by yourself and don’t carry a lot of passengers, the Kona makes sense. You could probably find a Kona around $300/mo.

I’ve driven the Niro EV. Excellent car. Good space in the back for passengers and cargo. Pretty quick, even a bit unsettled when floored. Quiet. Only thing I didn’t like was the normal halogen bulbs for the headlights. They’re a bit dim. Try to get LEDs. Closer to $400/mo leasing.

I was so impressed by the Niro that I’m 100% certain my next car will be electric.

1 Like