Hyundai Kona EV or Kia Niro EV?

Just got rid of my Niro EV EX Premium. Loved the car but was too pricey for what it was. I had 2 car seats in the back and it was fine space wise. My range was routinely way over the EPA estimate. I usually got in the car on a full charge and had about 270 miles. With the AC off, I usually was over 300. Sold it to Vroom with the equity and got into a Bolt EUV for less than half of what I was paying. Same range, newer infotainment and more rear space in the back seat for my kids. I was between the bolt and the Niro EV EX, because you get wireless CarPlay and a bigger touch screen on the EX that you don’t get on the Premium. The Niro is weird like that right now where you get some better features on the lower trim, not sure why.

1 Like

I was this close to signing off on the Niro EV EX but then the broker wants $799 service fee. Seems a little pricey, but I suppose we can blame it on the chip shortage.

Not especially relevant for SoCal but the Niro is available with the cold weather package, a real benefit in colder climates.

I thought they were mechanical twins, but Niro EV has SKI batteries that were never recalled, whereas Kona EV has LG batteries that had some issues with flammability.

2 Likes

Fwiw I have the Kona EV - overall like it, but does feel a bit skittish with the front wheel drive (torque of EV makes the tire chirp).

Main issue for me is that the roof with sunroof is too low, my head hits it when sitting up straight. I thought I could live with that but decided I can’t.

Yeah, that’s the problem with sunroofs. I had Kia Optima with the panoramic roof and I wish Niro had that option.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.