How to handle Infiniti QX60 major mechanical issue

Hi all,
So my PoS has something major wrong with it. Lease is up in march. My original thought was to try different additives to see if I can get the noise quiet enough and hopefully the inspector doesn’t notice but I don’t think I’m going to be able to get the issue quieted down that much. Or try to take it into Carmax or somewhere and see if I can come out with a wash if they buy it from me. I used to be a mechanic and know my stuff for the most part so may issue Ivan probably figure out or fox if I absolutely have to. The issues sounds like it’s either a valve train issue, timing chain (or tensioner), or rings. Few months ago I was getting cold start blue smoke, figured had a valve guide going out, put thicker oil in and that got rid of the the problem. But then recently had a misfire, engine cut out and now have a major clacking/diesel noise. Oil change had some copper looking pieces in it which obviously isn’t good. Little bubbles are just water in the photo. Started drizzling when I was finishing up

I took the car into the dealer and they gave me a ton of scare tactics. I told them I change my own oil and can provide receipts. Service person said if there is any sludge in the pan it will void the warranty. I grilled further, I said so if there is any issue on the motor you drop the pan first to check for sludge and send it to Infiniti to velar the warranty claim? SA Said yes. Ok went into to further say I have receipts of oil bought etc. SA said they’ve seen issues with the manufacturer not honoring warranty even with receipts when customers change their own oil. Like wtf?
I’m going to take it to another dealer to see what they say

But before I do that I was thinking about dropping the pan and pulling off the front valve cover and just double check and clean it out to make sure they have no excuse not to warranty.

Searching thru the Nissan/Infiniti forums and Reddit, my issue doesn’t look too uncommon nor does the response from Nissan/Infiniti dealers when something like this comes up.

Replaced the plugs. Pretty nasty on one of the cylinders. I’m assuming if the new thicker oil plus oil smoke additive still gets oil on the plug I most likely have a ring issue. Otherwise probably valve train somewhere?

Video of the noise:

The SA is blowing smoke.

Take it to a new dealer and call Infiniti directly. Your warranty information should have contact information should the dealer not be able/willing to help you.

4 Likes

Dealer SA sounds like he doesn’t know the law. Change your oil and take it to another dealer to get the issue resolved.

what year is this thing?

Did it have any misfires?

1. Just had a misfire code pop off, revs dropped to idle level and then went right back up. That happened twice within a few blocks.
1 Like

It is under warranty. You shouldn’t do a damned thing. Tell dealership to take care of it. “It is making noise. Here is the key. Call me when it is ready.” Ever hear of not incriminating yourself? You are saying too much.

7 Likes

I haven’t told them anything other than I change my own oil. I was grilling the SA about the whole warranty thing and if there’s issue in various parts of the motor what the process looks like from the dealers end to get Infiniti to clear the warranty claim. The whole convo started when she gave me a look about changing my lien oil and asking about receipts

Shouldn’t have even said that much. If they ask, the answer is “elsewhere.” And if they want receipts, the answer is “if you prove the oil caused the problem, I’ll dig up the receipts.”

4 Likes

This exact thing happened to my friend- nissan wants proof oil changes were done as regular maintenance on their vehicle. You need a certain amount of oil changes as proof for your mileage. My friend didnt so he towed the car a 1/4 mile from another dealership and did the turn in. For his lease inspection he lucked out and it was a windy day so the smoke from the exhaust wasnt visible.

Other option is tesla as they take any trade in as long as you can drive it into their lot. I had a friend with a 5 series roll it in to get into a 3

what happened with this? any updates?

Going in next week. No updates yet

any updates?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.