How should a lemon law car be priced?

Yeah, that purchase didn’t make much sense to me in the moment. He is loco though. A number of red flags were screaming at me when he was working towards the purchase. He could have probably picked up a clean used one for similar numbers.

I avoid watching Samcrac and Hoovies Garage and some other youtubers like that.

There’s that Pikachu meme where he’s surprised…

I imagine Samcrac going:

Bought a lemon for 20k off… it sucks and I regret it. (Pikachu surprise face)

Like come on, man. They’re clearly making money somehow if they’re losing their ass on poor financial decisions like this. I guess I’m just different, I don’t find that stuff entertaining.

3 Likes

As a YouTuber, he probably hoped it would fail so he could document it. Nothing generates views like a fail. Plus, I was surprised he still has full factory warranty on that lemon. Therefore, even if you don’t make money on YouTube, buying a lemon could still be a good decision. There are some non-lemon cars that have similar reliability and people still buy them.

What brand car is it ? Hoping Japanese.
If you are good with cars (mechanically and can work on cars yourself to some level etc.) And believe it has been probably fixed, I would get it and drive it to the ground for atleast a decade. Remember, almost all cars reach their lowest depreciation after almost 2 decades ( example mid to late 90s corolla, camry etc. You still see those on the road).

I would treat it as if you were buying a salvaged vehicle. Like others said 80%. It wouldn’t be absolutely terrible if you were able to lease it at an 80% discount. Hack challenge? :joy:

You’d have to lease it as used. It’s already been titled. I’d be shocked if this were a lease candidate.

A lot of these guys seem to have a lot of faith that the compensation system YouTube has will stay the same indefinitely. I’m not sure where they get that idea from. Doug DeMuro seems to be playing it mostly safe, he gets more views than a lot of these guys combined, and his only real expense is that Ford GT, which is a business write off. I don’t know what the heck Hoovie is thinking buying a giant new house and building some massive complex for all his POS cars. His dad is gonna have to sell a lot of burgers to bail him out of trouble if YouTube ever demonetizes his channel, which they’ve done to people in the past for little to no reason.

Didn’t Hoovie open up a car dealership that failed? His entire youtube channel is based on spending entirely way too much on cars that aren’t worth buying and then losing his behind on them. He seems like a nice enough guy, just not the best with money.

I prefer watching channels like Regular Car Reviews, Savagegeese, and Engineering Explained.

1 Like

I agree with Hoovies is taking way too much risk buying stupid cars, having a third party garage work on them and relying on Youtube revenues unless he has other unmentioned income stream. Samcrac is different though, he fixes them up himself and probably can make money on most of his projects. His only bad decision was to buy the lemon MKX. Same with Tavarish. Doug Demuro is mostly a marketing guy and takes no financial risk. I like watching his videos, saves me making a trip to check out most of the interesting new cars. Hope he has a day job though.

I think he still does writing for other auto websites.

Hoovie needs to find a new mechanic. I can’t believe that he keeps going back to the Wizard after all the problems he’s had with everything he’s ever touched. Are mechanics that hard to find in Wichita? And Doug’s viewership dwarfs most of these guys and he doesn’t even spend any of the revenue on the nonsense that Hoovie does. He bought that Rolls Royce for what exactly? I thought the whole point was to feature it prominently and pay for it with sponsorship and YouTube revenue. He’s done virtually nothing with it.

Yeah, his latest video posing with RR in front of the big house… He must have felt really accomplished!

Maybe not with captive but maybe a 3rd party

I still doubt it. Why would any bank want a lemon back after the lease is over when they’ll have just as much trouble selling it as a buyer would? And if they would lease it, the numbers would be so ridiculous you’d be better off buying it.

1 Like

Idea was to try and hack the price until it was to good to walk away from.

Holy mack! You guys really follow these youtubers. I had no idea. Links please !!!

Just type their names.

Doug DeMuro, Hoovies Garage, Tavarish, Samcrac, Regular Car Reviews… Any of those are a good place to start on a YouTube search. There’s some other dodgy channels too… I forget the name (DIY Gang maybe?) but there’s some new idiot who just bought a Hellcat for 5 grand that is basically a pile of ash now, and he really thinks that he’s going to be able to restore it. Good luck with that.

If I had to wager a guess that kid with the burnt hellcat is going to end up with enough YouTube money to buy a brand new hellcat in the end. He’s already got theme music and has clearly followed the blueprint of the successful youtubers. I think it’s all a scam to sell merch get followers and in the end admit although he has skill the car can’t be built.

DeMuro has 2.5m subscribers, he’s got over 600million views! No way he needs a day job to supplement that kind of income, despite how he may dress, he’s pulling down a very healthy income from YouTube. I watch his vids but I don’t think I’ve ever actually got to the end of one, I get a bit bored.

2 Likes