How should a lemon law car be priced?

I know this is a lease forum but there are some very knowledgeable people on here so throwing the question out. What would be the discount needed for you to purchase a lemon law vehicle. Computer system is a known issue and locks the vehicle from starting. That module has been replaced and the dealer has cut the price by 25%. Now it is used so 15 - 20 is ideal for a used vehicle. What would/should I ask for in a ideal situation. My thought was another 5k which takes the discount to around 30% msrp

I think it depends on the car. Some BMW demo’s have 30% off with clean title. IMO It would have to be an insanely high difference for me to risk getting into a car that is more likely to give me problems.

3 Likes

You will get hosed when you try to sell it.

My take would be that I would never purchase a lemon law car.

Someone went through inordinate hassle to get it lemoned, and who knows if (all) the problems are remedied.

I’d stay away, but then variety is the spice of life.

2 Likes

In my opinion a lemon law car should be treated the same as a salvage title

5 Likes

Don’t get it

i’d consider it at 80% off, nothing less

2 Likes

This was my consensus as well just wanted some outside opinions. I threw them a number and there married to the 25% off.

I’d let it rot for 25% off with all the potential headaches.

Your insurance premium could skyrocket too

1 Like

The really think they’re going to get 25 percent off for a lemon car?

Watch as that car sits on the lot or goes to auction.

MSRP is $100k for this car? seems like too big of a risk

I told them its going to rot, the dealer gave me the same old sales lingo. Dealing with these guys is like calling the cable company for you internet being out…I want to jump to step 25 where you realize you have a dead deal on your hand you find me the guy who wants to get rid of the lemon tree growing in your lot.

What kind of car? In general the discount offered on these isn’t enough, and as others say, it’s a pain to sell them. The deal would have to be at lease $5000 back of whatever a normal car could be bought for, for me to touch the deal. You’d want to drive it into the ground too, because resell would suck.

Does it come with full factory warranty?

Are you trying to buy it and then Part it out ?

When appraising lemon laws (and other branded/rebuilt titles or structural damage)for a trade, the answer is half of rough book. They are also more difficult to find financing for.

No if I was going to part it out I would head to the auctions and buy some front or rear damaged for that. It was a known issue with the vehicle and the dealer found a fix, it took a few customers complaining and returning cars to realize it was a wide spread issue. It has since been fixed and even recalled I believe. The trouble with this vehicle made it to lemon law before the manufacture acknowledged the problem.

I second the person who said 80% off, it sounds like demons would constantly creep up, also the paperwork is going to show this, and it’ll never retain any sort of value, even if it gets totaled you would possibly get reimbursed far less for it by insurance.

However, I ultimately would just pass on it as the discount doesn’t sound substantial enough to bother.

Samcrac (in YouTube) bought a lemon mkx with 800 miles for $20k off the sticker . He seems like regretted it . I suggest you to watch those videos.